JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me out here. Jeep is in my sig. I have a starting issue that is very intermittent. It has already happened one other time and and I put a new battery in and all has been well until today. What happens is I turn the key and nothing, everything lights up it clicks once but will not start. Last time it would not even jump start and today it stumbled then started drove it home 11 miles turned it off then tried to restart and nothing. Cycled the key from off to start a few times and it started. Used my superchips for DTC's and got battery low voltage, not sure if they were in there from the first time so cleared them, restarted then checked again and no DTC's. Checked alternator and have 14 volts coming from it. Afraid it is going to leave me stranded. So help is needed.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Had something similar happen today when I went out for lunch. PITA...

If I recall correctly there is a crank/throttle/position/thingy sensor that gets confused if the jeep is in the perfectly wrong position and it won't crank. :rolleyes:

So to solve this I scoot about in the drivers seat for a sec, rocking the jeep back and forth a wee bit, and she fires right up. This has happened to me a couple times and this rocking the jeep a bit has always been the solution.

I don't know if this will solve your issue, but good luck.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
For what it's worth, I had the same type thing happen to my 08. Took it to the dealer but only after things really went haywire on me and was told it was some "power module" thing that went bad and they replaced it under warrantee....maybe it's the same thing, and I replaced the battery too and still had the same symptoms!!

·
CalmerThanYouAre
9,383 Posts
Mine's an auto and does that sometimes. I apply fwd pressure on the shift lever and it starts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had my jeep for about 2 weeks and it has happened 3 time already. Im glad that it isnt just my jeep and others are experiencing it as well. Its seems sad that more people are having the problem and it still keeps happening from the factory.

·
CalmerThanYouAre
9,383 Posts
OP and Hedge, are your Jeeps manual or Auto transmission?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OP and Hedge, are your Jeeps manual or Auto transmission?
Mine is an auto. Did it again and I went to neutral and it started, this time. It just seems that when it does start in gear it has a short delay from going to start position with the key tell it fires, not like it is seconds but a delay all the same, make sense?

·
CalmerThanYouAre
9,383 Posts
When I'm in park I get a click and that's it
Next time it does it push the shift lever fwd while its still in park and while applying pressure turn the key. There seems to be a sensor or something that's knocked out of adjustment since it starts in neutral.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
A couple things common to '08s and very early '09s. The the wireless control module (WCM) can put the security system into shutdown if the key carries a static charge and jolts the WCM. When you turn the key nothing happens and the remote wont lock or unlock the doors. The remote start won't work either. The other issue is that the key's security feature may be intermittently faulty and in that case the engine will start, but immediately die. Mine has had both these issues, which have TSBs. For the first problem the WCM needs to be replaced by the dealer and the keys recoded. For the second issue the dealer will replace all of the keys with new ones.

There is a workaround for the WCM shutdown situation, and it may work for the second fault as well. You open the fuse panel under the hood, locate the large white dual fuse holder J13. Lift that up as far as it will go. That removes power to the security system, radio, etc. Wait 30 seconds and push it back down. The rig will now start & run fine. You'll lose all your radio settings.

My dealer repalced the WCM on mine and the problem came back at EJS 6 months later. The main key I always use also quit working completely, so I had to use the spare which was fine. The main key's battery was dead as a post, replacing it restored the remote functons, but it still wouldn't start the rig every time. The dealer replaced all the keys and all's been well ever since.

Editorial: If I could get rid of the JK's security sytem it would be outta there in a heartbeat. The only persons the security systems prevent from starting their cars are the owners, the crooks could care less. AEV, please provide a Procal function to shut it off!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys for the help. Seems to be doing it more as time goes on. Shifting into neutral is doing the trick so far. If the switch on the shifter is out of position how does one go about adjusting the switch to get it back in line so this will stop or is there actually a bigger problem?

·
Registered
879 Posts
What's old is new again !!

This was a pretty common thread topic about a year or two ago.

On my atuto, it was the transmission shift/park sensor. The dealer fixed it under the lifetime powertrain warranty. The sensor does not know you're in park and won't let you crank the engine. Just get a click, all power options work, but no crank. Put it in Neutral and you should be able to keep starting the jeep. When that gets tiresome, take it to the dealership if you have the lifetime PT warranty.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
probably the shift handle. Wiggle the shift handle..or put it in neutral and start it. I spent 20 min bitching about this..and realized its a loose connection of something under the shift lever.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Another thing to check is the small ground cable that goes from the battery to the engine block. Over time the connection can corrode along with the cable. The added resistance is enough to throw off the signal from the park sensor.

On my 07 I started having this problem even after replacing the battery with an Optima. I noticed that the issue happened mostly when I turned the key from off to start quickly and when in park. If I put the Jeep in neutral it would start or if I turned the ignition to ON for a few seconds before turing it to crank. I suspected a poor ground as I have had wierd issues concerning grounds from my many years in the high end car audio industry. I built a jumper cable from 8 gauge to get a better ground to the engine and I haven't had the issue since. That was about 12 months ago and everything was fine up until I got rid of the 07 last week.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dido on the ground wire.

I have dealt with this issue just about since I bought my JK in 2008. Every now and then I would turn the key and I would hear the first .5 second sound that my jeep makes when starting (more like cough or sneezing one syllable "choo" sound than a clicking noise that a seat belt engaging would sound like or a faulty starter) and then nothing.

All lights on and dash lit up but no engine activity. Just had my battery/alternator/starter checked yesterday, all fine. But, until just recently if I wait a few minutes and try again the engine would usually start. No action on my part, just giving it a minute and trying again and it would start.

That is until recently when I added a winch and fog lights to my overall setup. After replacing one battery I have now taken to unplugging the battery while parked and it seems to keep just enough of a fresh charge to power through whatever short or possible faulty ground that is interrupting the start.

I took it to the den of thieves while it was still under warranty a few years ago and of course they 'could find nothing wrong'. And since the issue happened so infrequent then I never followed up. But about 6 months into adding fog lights, a winch, 35' tires and a 3.5 inch lift, my jeep is heavier, 1/3 less fuel efficient (any tips on how to get some of that back are much appreciated) and puts more demand on my standard car battery output than ever. Now when it won't start the first try, it simply won't start until I can get a jump.

I have concluded (cause I am a genius) some sort or drain on my battery's charge. Before we blame the mods, they may have made the issue worse, but my problems predate the modifications that I made.

I am getting my whole system looked over tomorrow. Not at the den of thieves, but another local mechanic. Based on my own research I think it's a faulty ground (see below) and will have them check for that early on in the labor billing cycle.

I will repost here when I have a diagnosis. Good luck to all. If someone else has a fix, please post too.

www.autofixlist.com/autoFixList.do

Vehicle: 2007 (JK) Jeep Wrangler

Concern: Intermittent no start. Better description is NO CRANK. A clicking noise may be heard. Engine will later crank and start. Condition is intermittent.

Cause: Insufficient ground.

Resolution: Add a 10 gauge black wire from battery negative terminal to the engine. A good/easy place to connect it is the top alternator mounting bolt.

Details: -

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same but different problem...

Our 2008 Rubicon Unlimited with Auto just started a similar issue. Started with just a click and no start or turnover with dash lights on. Now it has progressed to a click and no dash/radio/interior lights at all. Intermittent. Of course it happened while my wife and kids were in it and I was out of town!
When I got home it started right up. I checked the battery before I left because I thought I heard a very slight "slowing" of the starter but could not nail down the problem seemed like the starter was drawing too much intermittently. Went from 12.5 volts down to 9 while cranking but would start right up. Alternator works fine even under full accessory load. 14+volts.
When I got back I checked the batterry and it was at 10.5 volts but still starting fine. My wife had it on a charger so I figured the problem was the battery not holding charge? (Autozone Duralast Gold which have lasted as much as 8 years for me in the past) Thought I had an easy solution... bad battery! I took the battery in to Autozone and they put it on a charger before testing. I went home, put in another good battery that I had from my 63 chevy and the truck. Started fine and then an hour later it would not start. Click then no lights (anywhere) and no start. The shift overide/neutral trick did not help. I hooked up a volt meter to the battery and all of the lights came on again and it started right up.
Turns out the battery was bad (1 year old!) so they replaced it at no charge.
Happened again with the used battery in it so I went to hook up jumper cables and as soon as I hooked up both cables to the Jeep (other ends on the ground still) all of the lights came on and it started!
Seems to reset itself as soon as I touch the battery terminals??? Weird. Could be the ground issue mentioned on a couple posts?

Still have the used batter in it today and it has started without issue on two trips 6 times since then last night and today.

One interesting thing. During one of the no start then start issues there was a lot of clicking and "movement" sound coming from under the jeep? Also the CD changer went bonkers and could not figure out what it wanted to do for about 60 seconds. Wondering if the sway bar disconnect was cycling? This happened every time I turned the key (about 6 times in a row without actually turning it all the way to "start)... Very strange. Did not do it again last night or today.

Any thoughts? Again, the issue happens with no power to the "cab" at all which is different than some of the threads I have seen. Most have a no start WITH lights, and some work with the neutral overide. Not ours...

BTW our driver's side airbag light came on recently also. Signed on to the NHTSB site hoping for a recall...

·
Registered
430 Posts
my 07 has been doin this for a few weeks now, just give the shifter a "nudge" forward and it'll start every time (for mine anyways)

either the neutral safety switch is goin or the cable is outta whack and needs to be adjusted

honestly I couldnt be bothered to bring it in so I just put up with it

1 - 20 of 41 Posts