JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having a little trouble lately with my Jeep. It's intermittent which is good, but is starting to happen more frequently. The issue started I would guess 2 years ago, happened again 6 months later, 4 months...now it's down to every 2 weeks or so. Want to get it fixed or figure out what is happening before this happens when I'm out in BFE.

The engine will start up just fine, but in a few second it will shutdown. Try to start it again and nothing happens. I do have a manual transmission. To remedy this problem I have to remove they key shove it back in and the Jeep is back to normal.

I tried switching to my backup key, same issue. Changing batteries in keys, same issue. I have changed the battery in the Jeep a year ago, I do not think its related to that battery.

It acts mainly like a non-smart key. I have a simple key for getting me into the door (if and when I lock myself out). I did try the simple key in the ignition once to see what would happen, it would start then immediately shutdown.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you tried running a thorough scan tool check? Not just your generic $49 scan tool test but one that interrogates all the modules? The coded key could be flaking out and that may set a code in the immobilizer. Or it could be a fault somewhere in the engine that possibly could set a fault in the ECM. Start there and see what happens.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts