JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got into my jeep this morning the interior lights came on like normal. But when I started it up the rear cargo light and the front mirror map lights stayed on. They would not go off even when turning the jeep off and making sure all doors were closed.
- I double checked the dimmer switch on the steering wheel stalk to make sure it was not in the on position.
- I disconnected the positive battery feed and when connecting it back they came right back on.
- I removed the fuse and when I put it back in they came right back on.

Any ideas of specific things to check? Specific wires, switches, etc.

FYI...I was in it a lot with the doors open while installed JK pockets and bartact seat covers last night so the lights were on and would turn themselves off after a while and from time to time I would close the doors and re-open them for light or hit the key fob. But they worked just like their supposed to.

For now, I pulled the fuse in an effort to not drain my battery while at work. Any ideas?

Just a thought, is there anything within the door panel that could have been damaged when pulling the cargo nets tight to cut and remove them for the JK pockets install?

Another possibility I guess...I replaced my interior dome lights a long time ago with canbus LED bulbs. I wonder if one of them has gone bad (canbus/resistor on the bulb; not the light itself). I guess I could find my OEM bulbs, slap them in, and see what happens.

·
Banned
702 Posts
My only suggest it to try turning the dimmer switch to the off position and see if the lights turn off. If it does, then I would think one of the door switches is bad. If not, due to everything being controlled by the CAN bus I could not begin to guess really.

Hope this helps... :wink2:

·
Super Moderator
6,239 Posts

he said that's the 1st thing he tried, Will; the dimmer switch .

I'd suggest OP check that I'll being inside the Jeep doing all of that interior work the other day you didn't accidentally depressed the actual switch itself like , where the light is emitted from ,the lenses are switches you can press in and they'll stay on . It's pretty easy to do it with your head or elbow and not realize it.

if it isn't that, you could have over extended the door strap , which has a wiring harness in it, or one could be disconnected or loose or something. Likewise, those being in a proximity that's close to that netting that that stupid pocket thing you're talking about that requires you to cut OEM door-pocket netting out; I can get that apart and take the nets out without butchering them but that's just me . Anyway, I'm suggesting that a quick flick of a razor blade or box cutter could very easily slice or Miss step and cut the wrong thing near that wiring harness down there.

lastly , those resistor included type festoon bulbs that you convert to when converting to LEDs inside are a dime a dozen . check with known good alternate bulb. I've had two in a row from super bright LEDs proved to be bad and have to be replaced.

lastly the process is to remove your negative battery terminal cable leave it off for a good few minutes. to reset you touch it to the positive terminal end for approximately 30 seconds how to reset the computer ECU. taking the positive off probably won't do much.

'lectricity :shocked:

·
Banned
702 Posts
@j3ff3ry_j33p: He actually stated he checked to make sure the dimmer switch wasn't in the on position. As there are many positions to the dimer switch, he didn't specify checking it in the off position. This is the only reason I mentioned it... :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
6,239 Posts
@j3ff3ry_j33p: He actually stated he checked to make sure the dimmer switch wasn't in the on position. As there are many positions to the dimer switch, he didn't specify checking it in the off position. This is the only reason I mentioned it... :grin2:

correct you are ,sir. I was wrong.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I tested out my theory on the LED bulbs failing. I put in the OEM bulbs and everything seems to work as it should. So I guess I'll be ordering new LED bulbs.

·
Super Moderator
6,239 Posts
cool you figured it out. it's always the bloody festoon led bulbs with the built-in resisters

1 - 7 of 7 Posts