JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My control for the interior lights isn't working (twist control on left stick). It was a little "glitchy" once or twice and then just doesn't work now. My interior lights still work, but I can't control the dash lights brightness/dim and can't manually turn on/off the interior lights with it. The control will still rotate/turn but nothing happens.

Fortunately my dash lights are set bright enough since I can't adjust them and my dome lights still work with the buttons at the lights. My interior lights still work with doors open/close too.

Any ideas on where to start to figure out the issue?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
did you reset the ECU by touching the NEG/POS leads together whike disconnected for over 30 seconds?
I'd do tht first then get the air-hose and contact cleaner out then go to work on related parts. I gotta admit, i have never used the dimmer nor disengaged the interior lighting...however, I did swap out the icky lookin bulbs in both domes for nice, amber LED festoons ...

I suspect any fuse or electrical prob would throw a code so pulling your diagnosic codes would be potentially useful but not definite.

:jeep2:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you reset the ECU by touching the NEG/POS leads together whike disconnected for over 30 seconds?
I'd do tht first then get the air-hose and contact cleaner out then go to work on related parts. I gotta admit, i have never used the dimmer nor disengaged the interior lighting...however, I did swap out the icky lookin bulbs in both domes for nice, amber LED festoons ...

I suspect any fuse or electrical prob would throw a code so pulling your diagnosic codes would be potentially useful but not definite.

Thanks for the reply. Did the whole key in ignition code check thing and didn't get any codes. I can try the ECU reset. I found a video where a guy replaced his switch. Pretty simple task really. In the video he describes what his switch did before going out. Sounded similar to that mine did. I guess I can try the reset thing and if that doesn't work get a new switch. I think they are about $90.

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
sounds like a plan ...any luck resetting ecu? Yeah, if no codes , no fuses blown and no cleaning works, replacing maybe best bet. I’m betting dust or humidity is your culprit....I honestly never have used the interior “on|off” nor the dimmimg function ...different owners use em in different ways, huh?
Keep the thread updated on end results and I hope it’s simply replaced

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ordered a new multi-function switch and installed it this weekend. Problem solved. Glad it was a very easy fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts