JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a pm from someone today and this is what they are asking.

I just bought a new JKU this week and would like to install interior LED lights similar to the ones you have done. I would like to have them come on when the door opens as well as when the head lights turn on. so my question is what wire should i use to connect these up? I am sure I am saying something not correct. I will have an electrician help me with this. Maybe I should ask what color wire should I look for and the location.

Thank you for the help!

David

Is it possible to have the interior lights come on when the doors open and also when the headlights turn on?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
First question is, why would you want them to come on with the headlights? That's just creates a nightmare seeing outside when it's dark.

Besides that, is it not easy enough to turn the dash light dimmer all the way on to "always on"?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
It seems like a bad idea to me too, but if that's what they really want, then you'd need to use a relay on both the dome light and the headlight circuits to power them. That way the dome light would not be trying to power the headlight circuit and vice versa.

·
Registered
553 Posts
my idea was usage of diodes to control which circuit supplies power versus each circuit trying to apply power at the same time as in instances of headlights turned on and a door open.

·
Registered
388 Posts
whatever they do, i think they need to put in some sort of override switch to turn the interior lights off when the headlights are on. having interior lights on while driving at night can be quite annoying and potentially unsafe as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the information so far. I also have a Mercedes and the foot wells have a dim light on all the time. It is nice to have this on. I agree that a bright many light would be distracting. Just looking for an ambient light.

Thanks

·
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
doing the with dome light and with headlights is more involved. I have lights on parts of the dash that come on with the headlights. But mine is an 07 and the dash has little "steps" built into them to make sure that the light only goes down.

The Led strips at autozone work great and you can pre place them to see how they will look. I have some in the footwells that are tucked up good enough where it does not overpower the driver.

Red and green are good choices because they don't affect your night vision as say a bright white would do.

What year is your jeep?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
If you truly want them on, just use the dimmer switch and rotate it to fully on. It will turn the interior lights on whenever you want.

As for footwell, I wired some LED square stickies from superbrightleds to turn on with the dash lights. I believe it was a grey with orange stripe wire behind the window switches. Therefore it turns on with headlights and also are dimmable and turn on when the dimmer switch is rotate to always on.

·
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
don't know if the wires have changed but you can try behind the power window switches is an orange wire with silver stripe. That should make the lights dimmable. Just make sure that they are dimmable before you button everything up.

I would put a small strip above the heater controls (looks like there is room there) you will have to drill a hole in the dash to run the wires through to tie them into that orange wire with silver stripe.

Try to find the ones at autozone with the push to test button on them already. That way you can find the best position for them before you tape them and wire them up permanently. For the footwells you can either use the same wire to power them so they are dimmable or you can have them at full power all the time. Again test locations before you mount them permanently.

http://www.autozone.com/exterior-lighting/light-strip/alpena-flexled-light/976054_0_0/

http://www.autozone.com/exterior-lighting/light-strip/alpena-flexled-light/60059_0_0/

http://www.autozone.com/exterior-lighting/light-strip/alpena-flexled-light/60050_0_0/

I suggest that you do not use white lights.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you again for the help. I plan on doing this tomorrow and will use the orange and silver wire so i can dim them.

This has been very helpful.

David

·
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you again for the help. I plan on doing this tomorrow and will use the orange and silver wire so i can dim them.

This has been very helpful.

David
Remember to check it out to make sure before you permanently wire them and put everything back together.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts