JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
i had the air raid and now run the S&B filters one i am much happier now the end result is about the same as far as perfomance gains if any i just really like the look of the s&B

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
From what I've seen both from customers, and from personal experience, the 3.8 needs nothing more than a free-flowing (K&N/Mopar [same thing, different color], aFe, etc.) to achieve optimal flow. Intake systems (CAI's) seem to gain only horsepower, while shifting the powerband slightly upward, which is not optimal in a truck/off-roader. On-road performance seems to be rather unchanged, and the "butt dyno" seems to be the only one showing meaningful gains (that's sarcasm, by the way :)).
For all of my customers, all I've reccommended doing is a drop-in filter- it's better for the environment than paper filters (less waste), gains a little flow, and doesn't hurt your low-end at all- Mark W.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
open intake - ie "cold" air intake = noise, that's pretty much it
and probably a little more potential for hydrolocking

I used to have an airaid and yeah it was loud but I couldn't really feel any difference and with all the west texas hills, I saw no MPG gains. that was with the poweraid spacer as well - it came free with the intake.

I went to an AEV snorkel, and it didn't seem to chance anything other than quieten back down

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
open intake - ie "cold" air intake = noise,
X2 although I think the word "cold" is a little misleading :D

The only real difference I can see from opening up the air flow is better throttle response, maybe a little extra something in performance, but nothing to write home about.

I've run an Airaid with Outwears pre-filter for two years and have had no problems.

If you want more noise, a new muffler will do a better job.

If I'm in water deep enough to get anywhere near it, I can guarantee I've got other problems :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
A buddy in the programmer industry told me they tried several different things (CAI, exhaust) on there test jk and that the hp gains were above 4000rpm on there dyno, not all that useable in the real world.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I myself am a believer in the K&N dropin filter and a good aftermarket muffler.I run a flowmaster 40 in the stock location.Good sound and the engine breaths better.I'm sure there is a horsepower gain,but I don't run in the upper rpm range....so I don't care.I do get a bit better mpg from both inexpensive mods,and it sounds better like I said. :smokin:

·
Registered
966 Posts
K&N drop in here. Didnt notice any gains but the wash/re-oil vs. trow away and buy a new one is awesome.

Reminds me I probably need to warsh mine after that JV trip. If it looks anything like any other part of the Jeep it will be filled with dust/sand.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
My favorite intake is the Ripp Supercharger and a River Raider snorkel.

Works great, lots more power, and no fear of ingesting water. aka hydrolocking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts