JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
@vaijab and anyone else who has tried this

I have front and rear 2019 JL Rubicon axles complete that I want to install on my JKU Willys. My lift is 2.5" so nothing fancy in my suspension.
Things i have learned I need from googling.

• Rear driveshaft with JL yoke
  • Relocate shockmounts on rear axle
  • use JL draglink for steering
Anything else I should know?

• How to wire up the FAD? I'm wondering if I can do my front axle swap and use the FAD to drive it until I get the rear done. I have 3.73 but there are 4.10 in the new axles.
  • Wire the sway bar disconnect and lockers to a switch pod?
Any info or guidance is appreciated. Local shop quotes $2000 labor +parts for the swap. I'm pretty sure aside from the shock mounts I can do it in my driveway though.

·
Administrator
8,731 Posts
Hmmm haven't seen this done yet. I can understand JK axles in a JL but the other way around??
If it were being done in my shop I would probably recommend deleting the the FAD with an RCV shaft and then truss the front axle as the ones we've seen break, break at the FAD.

I would power probe the FAD and the Sway Disco to see which connectors you would have to supply power and ground to make operate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm haven't seen this done yet. I can understand JK axles in a JL but the other way around??
If it were being done in my shop I would probably recommend deleting the the FAD with an RCV shaft and then truss the front axle as the ones we've seen break, break at the FAD.

I would power probe the FAD and the Sway Disco to see which connectors you would have to supply power and ground to make operate.
I discovered the FAD delete option yesterday, definitely going on my list with truss. I got the axles for a really good price and a post here indicated the front bolts right up. Thought I'd try to complete the swap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am putting these JL Rubicon axles for sale.
IMO that's the best decision, for the amount of money you can sell them for plus that 2k the shop was going to charge you I think you could build a couple super duty 60's and never need more axle.

·
Registered
8,314 Posts
IMO that's the best decision, for the amount of money you can sell them for plus that 2k the shop was going to charge you I think you could build a couple super duty 60's and never need more axle.
Not a fair comparison as a shop was going to do the work while the 60s would be done by the OP.

The JL 44s are noticeably beefier than the JK 44s. Assuming the tone rings work without issue, then this is a very attractive swap for those that were considering buying used JK 44s or something like a Dynatrac 44 assuming the JL crowd doesnt try to ask for a fortune on them

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm about to do the same axle swap. Pretty straight forward with the exception of the wheel speed sensors. Viajab has a good write up but does not give an end result about the sensors.
Any info is greatly appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts