JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice. RR, Bestop????
Sorry. They are the Rugged Ridge doors. Fronts came in last week, rears arrived yesterday.

The flat black looks fine, especially since the Rocker Knockers etc... are flat black, but a buddy of mine has a paint booth at his house and he's going to hook me up with making them match.

Fit and finish is pretty good. Couple of little things bug me, but I'm fuckin' anal, so that's not surprising. :thefinger:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Sorry. They are the Rugged Ridge doors. Fronts came in last week, rears arrived yesterday.

The flat black looks fine, especially since the Rocker Knockers etc... are flat black, but a buddy of mine has a paint booth at his house and he's going to hook me up with making them match.

Fit and finish is pretty good. Couple of little things bug me, but I'm fuckin' anal, so that's not surprising. :thefinger:
As I am pretty picky too when spending that kind of money I am curious what the little things are?

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Doors look sweet. Tough to see well on my phone, but kinda liking the flat or even texture paint the doors to match the bumpers, rails, armor, etc.... just sayin. ;)

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As I am pretty picky too when spending that kind of money I am curious what the little things are?
I'll be home this afternoon and will take some more pics and point out the things that aggravate me....

They look good I like the lines .
Did they come with everything but paint ?
Yes, they come with the hinges, inside strap and hardware. You can leave them flat black or paint them how you see fit.

Tough to see well on my phone, but kinda liking the flat or even texture paint the doors to match the bumpers, rails, armor, etc.... just sayin.
I hear ya man! The ONLY reason I'm not going to just clean and rattlecan (bed liner) these things is because I'm only out the cost of matching paint to get them matched up. That and a few beers for my bud who has the equipt. :smokin:

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
that looks great man. im kinda partial to the flat black look too.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aight. So, the little things that bug me 'bout these.

First and foremost, I stumbled across a posting elsewhere about a guy who received his and one of the latches had "popped" its spring. No big deal right? Remove the latch and repair.

Apparently, not so much. The doors are glued together (inner to outer) and there (supposedly) is nothing serviceable. That is SECOND HAND info to me, but they do definitely appear to be glued together. If so, that suxxor....

Other stuff:

Even though the doors are basically even, the front doors for me ride just a tad high. Not a major deal, but hey, I'm anal.

The gaps on the front doors seem to be more prominent around the edges than the rear doors. Why? HellifIknow.....

On the top of the doors, you have the insert locations for the uppers. On one of mine, they dont' line up so great and I can't disassemble the door to fix this, so I'll have to "ream out" the hole a little bit.

Aaaaaand last but not least, I know that the Wrangler is shaped a bit like an oval, but the rear edges of the doors protrude a tad, as the doors are straight, but the Jeep is not.

Deal killers? Naw, don't think so. The unserviceable part probably bugs me the most. It will SUCK to have to replace an entire door a few years from now if a damn latch fails. Ya know?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
That shit would drive me crazy... however if I had not scored a set on a trade I would buy them..... I saw them for $600 (plus free shipping ) per set somewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
Interesting to hear another rugged ridge product not living up to the hype. i was real excited about these, but after seeing your issues, that shit sure would bug me too, especially for the price of em. Yeah, i'm not exactly expecting the quality of jeep mopar half doors, but I would expect the fit to be a little better, especially where you show the flat/curved surface photo.

Other than that, they look great on your jeep, hell all jeeps should have half doors

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
It is strange for sure. The rears look like they fit pretty good.

I wanted half doors BAD when I got mine... and would have kept my fulls and bought these if they were available at the time - the price is right anyway.

Do they rattle?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is strange for sure. The rears look like they fit pretty good.

I wanted half doors BAD when I got mine... and would have kept my fulls and bought these if they were available at the time - the price is right anyway.

Do they rattle?
Ron, happy to report that they do NOT rattle one iota. If they did, I would go batshit. :laughing:

Still dialing them in a tad. Messing around a bit with loosening the hinges and adjusting the door & the striker to see how close I can get them to being completely "level"

As I said, overall I am content. Thrilled? No. Happy? Yes.

Based on 2 days ownership, would I buy them again? Probably.

Will I still keep an eye out for a set of Mopar 1/2's that won't cost $4k? Ayup.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks good, would love to find some 1/2 doors as an option to running the fulls.
Have you spoke to Rugged Ridge? Any chance these doors are just a little defective, seems like the issues that you're seeing should have been discovered in their research and development.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Thanks for the pics.

- Serviceability: You can drill out the rivets to get the latches out I would assume. Honestly I would probably take them off before I painted anyway to paint right.

- Fit and finish - is the gap even all the way around? You could adjust the hinges to lower the top back corner to match the rears but that will throw off whatever gap you have now. Same with rear, might be able to adjust the hinges? I would prefer an even gap over the tops lining up though.

Not matching the curvature of the body would bother me too. The biggest eyesore to me is that the latches don't line up.... Not sure if that's an issue on the mopar doors or not... I'd have to fix that. Or shave them.

Deal breakers? I dunno, I'm a year away from half doors anyway. Just another quality overpriced overseas produced product courtesy of the aftermarket...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts