JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a little time today and installed the Tera-Flex Hinged Carrier and Tire Mount on the JKU and wanted to share some photos.

I opted to go with both pieces because I am running 35" Toyo MTs on 17" wheels and they weigh in at roughly 100 pounds each. I also wanted the ability to upgrade when I am ready to bump back up to 37s.

The carrier arrived in two separate boxes and the packaging was fantastic. Almost everything you will need for installation is included. They even send an Allen wrench style Torx 50 for the re-installation of the hinge bolts.

Tera-Flex mentions in their installation videos that you should use a block of wood to support the tail-gate while installing. (You remove the factory hinges and replace them.) They accidentally include the perfect support in the packaging for the hinged carrier. There is a thick white foam block that I cut in half and used to support the door. Sweet!

Most of your factory bolts are retained with this setup and the only difficult or frustrating part would be pressing in the wheel studs if you don't have an impact wrench. Otherwise, it is a very, very simple unbolt and re-install type modification.

If you're looking for a clean and simple solution for a tire carrier, this is it. I'm very impressed!

I didn't take many photos of the install because I was hurrying, but here are some photos of it hanging on the Jeep. Notice how perfectly it holds the lines of the Jeep. Very impressive.

· The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So wait, does the oversized tire portion of the whole setup eliminate the third brake light?
It doesn't eliminate it necessarily, but it does require you to modify it and re-install with a supplied bracket.

I personally didn't like that part of it. Forgot to mention that above. I hacked up the light and used some "engineering" to make it work for the time being. I'm going to re-locate the plate and run an ORO LiteDOT back there instead.

Check out Tera-Flex's video for the information on the brake light install below. Skip to about 6:30 for the brake light portion, but watch the whole thing for a laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=GxmPoaqdtbc&feature=endscreen

· Registered
3,188 Posts
It doesn't eliminate it necessarily, but it does require you to modify it and re-install with a supplied bracket.

I personally didn't like that part of it. Forgot to mention that above. I hacked up the light and used some "engineering" to make it work for the time being. I'm going to re-locate the plate and run an ORO LiteDOT back there instead.

Check out Tera-Flex's video for the information on the brake light install below. Skip to about 6:30 for the brake light portion, but watch the whole thing for a laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=GxmPoaqdtbc&feature=endscreen

I agree with this. I didn't use their 3rd brake light idea for tht reason. Doesn't look right. Will be doing the ORO light too.

Looks good!

· Registered
913 Posts
I watched the video and installed one last week on a fellows jeep and it was a breeze.
After seeing one firsthand I really liked it and will probably end up running one.
Looking good Marcus.
Only thing I didn't like about the brake light mount is it would require you to carry another wrench. You would have to take it off first to remove spare.
Or slap some wingnuts on it for easier removal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.