JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished installing a airplane altimeter in my Jeep! I made a custom bracket out of sheet metal and tin sips. I did the layout for the bracket in a graphic design program I use at work (I make vinyl stickers for fire trucks). I am moving from Long Island, NY to Colorado in a few weeks so I thought it would be fun to see what my altitude was when I drive around the mountains.

Reactions: Rubi-8

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Very cool/ like!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I can set what the barometric pressure at any given time. (the big knob on the left). all I need to do is look at the weather on my phone and then set the pressure knob to it and it will give the right altitude.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Dumb question, but is it 12v powered or a stand-alone gauge? Is there illumination?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Not dumb at all (I looked into it when I first had the idea.) it is self contained, 100% mechanical. This gauge is not illumined.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I can set what the barometric pressure at any given time. (the big knob on the left). all I need to do is look at the weather on my phone and then set the pressure knob to it and it will give the right altitude.
Barometric pressure is your altimeter setting. Aircraft gauges are illuminated for night viewing. They are dimmable. Never seen a pilot use a flashlight as a routine means to interpret gauges. Have fun on your trip I am sure it will be fun.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I may be going doorless for some of the trip this time because I just got a 6x12 enclosed trailer so I can put the doors in there should I feel the need for freedom! when I drove out there last year I had the doors on because I had no where to put them because my jeep was 100% filed with stuff! (I work as a White Water Raft Guide in the summer) Also with the trailer I cant really go over 60 mph because of the drag so taking the doors off at that point may not have to big of a hit to my MPG. I will have to see.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Or just download a GPS application on the phone your looking at to get the pressure? Looks like an archaic way to get readily available information.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Or just download a GPS application on the phone your looking at to get the pressure? Looks like an archaic way to get readily available information.

I have a altimeter app on my phone. to use it when I am driving I have to:
1. unlock my phone,
2. find the app and open it,
3. wait for the app to load,
4. look at the altitude
5. refresh it every time to get the next altitude
* data service cuts in and out in the mountains so some times you will get stuck on step 3.

Or do all that every time before I start driving and then let the app use my GSP, and data and have my screen on all the time with the app open all the time.

with the gauge all I need to do is

Optional, set Barometric pressure (not setting the pressure will still let me know how far up or down I have gone from the last time I looked at the gauge.)

1. glance left to see altitude at any given time

No batteries, no screen, no data, no app to crash, no losing my phone for what every else I was going to use it for (music, gps map) also the gps app will not give you your altitude when not on the ground (like when on a tall bridge or over pass)

Smart phones are great at doing lots of things but they tend to be bad at any one thing, a flip phone with buttons works better for making calls for example.

I can get the temp and compass heading from my phone too but I still really like having them on my dash board all the time so I can just glance down and see that at any given time. also the compass in the car work better then the one on my phone and the temp is where I am at the time, not where the weather station on my phone is.

·
Registered
101 Posts

Pfft... what's the fun in that? Kudos for going old school cool! :beer:

·
Registered
404 Posts
I use a GPS application that uses no data, I leave it on and shut the screen off. When I want to see speed/vertical speed/altitude I just unlock and look. I keep the phone in airplane mode usually while off-road up in the Telluride/Ouray mountain areas. You must have found the most unfriendly GPS application made 😂

1 - 13 of 13 Posts