JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lookin for some feeback please folks.

While I love wrenching on my own rig, I am not qualified (or in possession of the correct tools) to do a R&P change and locker installation, SO....

I'm looking for recommendations of who I should consider for changing out my gears and installing an ARB locker in the rear (and maybe an Aussie or something in the front, we'll see....)

Here in Jacksonville:

1. I've heard a couple of folks speak well about Melvin & Molly out at Happy Trails 4x4..........
  2. I'm not sure I'm anxious to have 4 Wheel Parts do any work...(unless someone knows better)
  3. I know there's Hedgehog Motorsports over on the Westside, but I dont know of anyone who has used them for anything.....

anyone else locally?

I don't mind "paying for what ya get", solid service and abilities are paramount, but I would like a decent deal.

I'm also not opposed to driving a bit (yup, I know that Anthony @ WS is 3.5 hours from me, that's not out of the question!)

Who have ya'll used and been happy with????? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I know that WS has done an engine (Joker) and both of our lifts. I am confident in them. I know Melvin and Molly, but not heard of the work they have done before so I can't comment.

That is all the knowledge I have...

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
C'mon.......all you guys living from Orlando through Daytona up to Jax.....and ya got no recommendations or opinions? :confused:

Did ya all do your own??

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
For that type of work, you wanna make sure its done right the first time. With the reputation WS has around here, it may be worth the drive.

·
Registered
122 Posts
i have never had anything done at WS but i have never heard anything bad about them either. that is normally a good thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had my jeep lift kit & r&p done by Melvin at Happytrails 4x4 & am very happy with their work. Melvin installed the 5.13's front & rear for me & everything is working find with the gears & it has been 7 months since the install, he charged me 1300's for the front & rear.
Also I heard that they have a new shop out at the beach now.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
I will be driving over 3 hours to wsoffroad to have them install all of my stuff!!! do it!!!! great place and i hear nothing but good things!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Check out Brad at Overbuilt Customs on Phillips Hwy across from the Racetrac Gas Station. My buddy owns Aggressive Off-road on 210 and he does great work too!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check out Brad at Overbuilt Customs on Phillips Hwy across from the Racetrac Gas Station. My buddy owns Aggressive Off-road on 210 and he does great work too!
I was aware of Overbuilt Customs, but kinda thought they just did the "complete makeover" projects. They screw around with piddly shit like a R&P swap and locker install too?

Aggressive Off-road? Not familiar with them....known 'em for a while?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yes Brad at Overbuilt does do "other stuff" than just complete builds. Give him a call or stop by.

Wilson's 4x4 is in Daytona Beach and they do great work too.

Ben

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Yes Brad at Overbuilt does do "other stuff" than just complete builds. Give him a call or stop by.

Wilson's 4x4 is in Daytona Beach and they do great work too.

Ben
Brad contracts out the ring and pinion and locker installs to a small shop here in jacksonville but he would make sure things got done right.
Otherwise Florida Powertrain off beaver st has gotten good reviews from a few people I know in the area.
Even 4 wheel parts up by the airport installed Chunks gears for him and he has been satisfied so far seems like he has had them done for a year or more now.
the 4 wheel parts store always gives me great deals when I need something from them so you might try them first.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome....thanks for the feedback gents......

If anyone else has opinons/experiences/recommendations, please throw 'em out there....

:beer:

·
Registered
423 Posts
I am not affiliated with WS Offroad at all... but, I have met Anthony, done business with him, and do not hesitate to refer my personal friends to him. He stands behind his work, wheels the hell out of his jeep, and is a great guy to deal with.

Give him a call and talk to him. I live here in Fleming Island (Orange Park) and wouldn't hesitate a second to have him work on my Jeep.

When I do my RK lift, he's the one doing it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
491 Posts
4wp in Jax by the airport did my gears about 18,000 miles ago and I have had zero problems. They installed 5.13's did my lift and some other stuff as well. I recommend them and am a satisfied customer. That being said, Brad at Overbuilt Customs will be doing anything else that I need a shop for, on my rig. Good people and small local buisness, which I support.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Order of preference:

Happy Trails (Atlantic Beach)
Overbuilt (South Jax)
Wilsons 4x4 (Holly Hill)

(4wp is fine in a pinch but I prefer to support local shops. They do MUCH MUCH MUCH more to support the local wheeling community. See what happened to Hedgehog.)

·
Administrator
8,731 Posts
Brad is way over priced and good luck getting what you need done in a timely manor. If you do plane to have a project done by him be prepared not to see your project for a while. He has one Cj LS3 thats been there for going on 4 yrs. And a Fj45 thats been there for 3yrs. Granted the easy money is in and out. But if you have something you want "RESTORED" your on his time.
Which is Dubie Slow!
?????

I thought you guys were buddies...no??

And the OP wanted to know about getting gears and a locker done, not a restoration.... ??

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Brad is way over priced and good luck getting what you need done in a timely manor. If you do plane to have a project done by him be prepared not to see your project for a while. He has one Cj LS3 thats been there for going on 4 yrs. And a Fj45 thats been there for 3yrs. Granted the easy money is in and out. But if you have something you want "RESTORED" your on his time.
Which is Dubie Slow!
Brad doesn't do gears at his shop but he did my long arm Pro Rock Krawler Triple threat in the exact time he said, did a couple things extra, and than charged me less than he quoted. Even better yet his events he gives free beer at his events not along support all the local shops and events. :D:beer:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts