JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Install: Teraflex 2.5" Performance Budget Boost with Adapters
(This option allows you to reuse your factory shocks.)

Rear Installation:

1. Start by breaking loose ALL wheels lugs, while the Jeep is on the ground.
2. Jack up the vehicle and place stands under frame.
3. Remove the wheels.
4. Remove the rear shocks.
5. Remove the rear springs.

6. Place the rear spring RUBBER ISOLATOR on the rear spacer and pop it into place.

7. Take the rear spacer and isolator and push it back into the factory spacer position. (It will hold itself in position after you pop it into place.)

8. Reinstall the rear spring.
(If you have a bottle jack, it can be used to gain more clearance)

**Note spin shock until you have NO gap with the bottom of the spring and its seated position.

9. Reinstall the factory shock WITH ADAPTERS.
(**Note this is where you would add your NEW shocks if you decided to go with something aftermarket**)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
10. Install the rear lower bumpstops using the supplied hardware.

11. Remove rear break line, install lowering bracket, reinstall rear brake line. (Use supplied hardware.)

REPEAT STEPS on other side of vehicle

12. Support the rear axle and remove the rear trackbar bolt at the frame end.
13. Use the supplied template to mark, then drill a 3/8 hole in the factory track bar bracket.
(**The template is printed on the BACKSIDE of the supplied instructions.)

14. Install the NEW drop bracket, remembering to place the spacer INSIDE the new bracket, to prevent crushing.
15. Reinstall the rear track bar reusing the factory original hardware.

**You are half way done. :bounce:**

Front Installation:

1. Remove the front shocks.

2. Remove the front springs.

3. Remove the front spring rubber isolator.

4. Install the Teraflex spacer onto the spring tower.
5.Reinstall the stock rubber isolator.
6.Remove the YELLOW factory bumpstop.
7.Grease yellow bumpstop and place it into supplied bumstop extender.
8. Pop it back into spring tower.

9. Reinstall front spring.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10.Reinstall front shock absorber, adapter, or new shock.

(When reinstalling the factory shock with adapter, I noticed that that the factory nuts were hard to put on. I did some research and found out that the nuts were ob-longed or "squeezed" ensuring a tight fight.)

REPEAT STEPS on other side of vehicle

**You are almost done! :bounce:**

1. Remove stock rear swaybar links and MOVE them to FRONT swaybar link location.

**Notice it is easier to grease BEFORE installing

2.Discard FRONT factory swaybar links.
3. Install NEW rear swaybar links, on the INSIDE of the sway bar axle brackets. (**This is to avoid rubbing on the frame or sidewall.)

4. Reinstall wheels or install new aftermarket wheels and tires.

****Manufacturer Suggests****
Properly align vehicle BEFORE extended use of vehicle.
RE-torque all nuts and bolts after 300 miles.

Great Product, Easy Install, Good luck with your kit!

Special Thanks to Axsys for providing the garage, tools and all his help with the install.

·
Registered
438 Posts
This is very nice and informative! Whats the end result look like from afar? :beer:

·
Registered
792 Posts
I ran this kit for about a year and it worked great for being a spacer kit. Obvious benefit is it gets the belly of the jeep up higher which is a huge help on the 4 door once you leave the pavement. It doesn't flex like the more expensive kits, but it's a fraction of the cost ($336).

I used it in my first round of mods because I also wanted to get rock sliders and some other items right away, and I had only so much money. Later, when I had the $2-$3k I went all out for a suspension kit.

I would also recommend this to those that are new to Jeeps/suspension mods. I was (am) a newbie and it took me a year to figure out what I really wanted in a suspension set-up. For a low cost I was still able to off-road the jeep and learn more about how it handles and what I really needed.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
great write up!

I have this kit, but with the teraflex shocks. I've had it for about 2 years now and I have no complients from it.

only thing to note is to make sure you use wheel spacers or have your new wheels have about 4.50" backspacing, The instructions in the kit should mention this.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Looks like Cameron performed another great install! :D :thefinger:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Flex

Here are some shots at Lower Raw Deal in Arizona the day after install.

Time for some 33's

·
Registered
603 Posts
hey id love to get this kit. but my only concern is the drilling.... i really dont wanna put a hole in the bumpstop pad if i dont have to.. i like the way the front just has the extenders but in the rear y dont they make the same type of thing?????????

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
hey id love to get this kit. but my only concern is the drilling.... i really dont wanna put a hole in the bumpstop pad if i dont have to.. i like the way the front just has the extenders but in the rear y dont they make the same type of thing?????????
You just bolt on the bumpstop extention "box" to the holes that already exist on your axle plate. The only hole you have to drill is for the trackbar mount.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm a very newbie with jeeps. Have had my 2010 4 door sport for a year now and do a little bit of trail wheeling around my ny upstate house. I want to do some time of lift but not lose the road drivablity. Figure if I keep stock shocks and what not I'd be ok. I ride of like old motor vehicle trails. Biggest thing is some mud puddles but not deep and sometimes low hanging trees so I dont want to go too high of a lift.

Was lookign at this kit. Good for me? I don't know much bout all this wheeling stuff. I'm more of a 1/4 mile drag strip guy. With that said I wont trophies bracket racing my jeep before I even took it wheeling.

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
This lift will be fine for what you are doing. Rides better than stock with their shocks as well, not needed though.

Very easy install. I have the Rough Country kit and I, a moron, put it in no problem!

·
Registered
32 Posts
This lift will be fine for what you are doing. Rides better than stock with their shocks as well, not needed though.

Very easy install. I have the Rough Country kit and I, a moron, put it in no problem!
Cool Cool. Now would this void my warrenty?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Anything you do to your jeep can potentially void warranty to the parts affected, its not a back and white answer. Search on this- lots of threads out there.

Total install time for me IRRC was 6hrs solo. I had never done anything like it before and had to make a run to home depot in the middle for a 16mm wrench, and had to borrow a drill for the rear bracket after I wore down both of my cordless batts (yeah they are old and I also had dull bit).

So shouldn't take anyone longer than that!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Need some insight from experienced jeep men

All, I have a 2008 Unlimited X with 20,000 miles that I am looking to jack up a few inches(1.5"-2.5") while maintaining as close to a factory ride as possible with the lowest outlay of cash possible...I just want it to look a little cooler.

I regularly make trips to VT with a Thule box on top full of gear and my wife and two labs, I have installed an aftermarket air intake and am VERY happy with the results...throaty sound and plenty of extra HP. I have purchased a set of Rubi shocks and coils to replace the stock setup as well as daystar 3/4" spacer lift.

Please let me know what you think my best options are to achieve my goal. Am I going about it correctly?? I want it to look like the below picture

Thanks in advance for your help guys

Attachments

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
Cool Cool. Now would this void my warrenty?
Depends, but you can always take it off when you head to the dealer

good Info....what do suggest is total install time...?
Depends on what kind of tools you have. I went to a buddies house who has every air tool made and it took us like 3 hours, but that also included a case of beer consumption.

·
Registered
865 Posts
All, I have a 2008 Unlimited X with 20,000 miles that I am looking to jack up a few inches(1.5"-2.5") while maintaining as close to a factory ride as possible with the lowest outlay of cash possible...I just want it to look a little cooler.

I regularly make trips to VT with a Thule box on top full of gear and my wife and two labs, I have installed an aftermarket air intake and am VERY happy with the results...throaty sound and plenty of extra HP. I have purchased a set of Rubi shocks and coils to replace the stock setup as well as daystar 3/4" spacer lift.

Please let me know what you think my best options are to achieve my goal. Am I going about it correctly?? I want it to look like the below picture

Thanks in advance for your help guys
if the springs are from an unlimited rubi then you should be right on track. bypass the trackbar info and the rest of the write up should be spot on for you. the spacers won't be as thick but should go in the same order. maybe not a full 2.5" but close. mostly it is removing one part and replacing with another, and you don't have to do the bumpstop exchange.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts