JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just following a random thought pattern here, and I may be completely smoking crack (I haven't measured the distance from the back of the back seat to the tail gate in my Unlimited yet) -- but does anyone know of any of the racks that are designed to go behind the rear seat in the unlimiteds, and above the cargo area, are large enough to fit a 35" tire?

I need to get mine off the tailgate (the tailgate is starting to flex up and down on the hinges) and I was thinking I might like it to be inside, rather than outside on a $1000+ bumper/tire carrier combo.

!c

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Not sure about any of the racks available, but I can tell you that a 36" or 37" is too big to lay flat in the back of an Unlimited with the rear seats up.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have not tried it on my JK but on a TJ a 35 will fit flat with the seat out. By looking, I would think it would fit with the seat up on the JK.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took my 35" MT MTZ off the tailgate and put it in the back (not rack) and strapped it down, perfect fit. I would be hesitant to put something so big on a rack in the back (projectile in an accident). Plus I don't think you could close the back window.

Just for a quick fix lay it in the back, you still have plenty of storage.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took my 35" MT MTZ off the tailgate and put it in the back (not rack) and strapped it down, perfect fit. I would be hesitant to put something so big on a rack in the back (projectile in an accident). Plus I don't think you could close the back window.

Just for a quick fix lay it in the back, you still have plenty of storage.
I'm considering just making a supported lid that the tire would sit on top of (and be bolted into), that has hinges so I could still use the cubby and have room for some other things below it. I just can't really justify the prices of the swing-away tire carriers!

!c

1 - 5 of 5 Posts