JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever wonder why a tire that is compatible with a 17" wheel costs more than the same exact tire that goes to a 15" wheel? I cannot figure this one out. There is less material needed to form the more expensive tire!!!
I just can't believe how f****n' expensive tires are in general. I'll bet the cost to make your average 35"x12.5" tire is a fraction as to what they sell for. I know, I know....they have to make a profit and I am not against anyone trying to turn a dollar, but Holy S**t!!!
Don't get me started on skid plates. I'm a sheet metal worker and I can tell you that the first one fabricated IS expensive due to layout and maybe some R&D. But after that?
Okay....Rant Over. Thanks for listening!

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
Tires for 15" wheels are typically load range C--6 ply.

Tires for 17" wheels nearly always load range D--8 ply--or load range E--10 ply.

35"+ tires for 17" wheels are almost exclusively constructed for lifted, full size trucks that weigh 1.5-2+ times as much as a JK. The tires are typically designed for trucks with huge towing capacities. They are much heavier, with more radial belts, and stronger sidewalls.

So, a great part of the price differential is that tires for 17" wheels have more material (plys/belts, etc.).

The rest of the price differential is that the market for large tires for 15" tires is substantially larger due to the much higher number of used vehicles that run 15s. So, the costs are spread over a much, much larger run per production traunch.

The rest of the price differential is due to companies being in the business of selling products at as high a margin they can with strong demand before it actually hurts demand.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I appreciate your explaining this to me and it makes sense now. You provided concrete facts that I was unaware of. I appreciate it.

Now about those skid plates!!!

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Planman I bow down to your knowledge of all things JK :beer:

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts