JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a 95% chance that once the migration to the new Pirate servers takes place, we will change the look and feel of this place...

Things I want to do:

Change the site's look to more resemble Pirate4x4.com's Bulletin Board look and feel.
Create a new logo
Bring in kick ass UNCENSORED content
Bring in the best Vendors
Did I mention we won't CENSOR anyone, or play favorites?
Do kick ass giveaways
Be the number one JK Site on the Internet

Things I don't want to do:
Allow douche bags to flame people here
Take this site in the wrong direction

So please give me your input on what you would like this place to be. We have quite a lot of resources at our disposal here, and I want to do this right. So let's hear it!

Lance

·
Registered
749 Posts
There's a 95% chance that once the migration to the new Pirate servers takes place, we will change the look and feel of this place...

Things I want to do:
Be the number one JK Site on the Internet
Change the site's look to more resemble Pirate4x4.com's Bulletin Board look and feel.
Create a new logo
Bring in kick ass UNCENSORED content
Bring in the best Vendors
Did I mention we won't CENSOR anyone, or play favorites?
Do kick ass giveaways

Things I don't want to do:
Allow douche bags to flame people here
Take this site in the wrong direction

So please give me your input on what you would like this place to be. We have quite a lot of resources at our disposal here, and I want to do this right. So let's hear it!

Lance
Excellent Lance,, only made one change,,,moved the most important to the top..;):D With this direction it will be the #1 JK site.

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Cool! Flip off smilies and all!

This is going to be awesome!

As I posted before I'd like to see some more meet and greets and having the now geographic separation in the trail events should make it easier to pull off. I'd like to see this board focus on the reason everyone bought a JK which was for wheeling.

When we have badges, I'll pony up $100 worth for a contest for the first set of however many one hundred bucks covers, of people that refer a friend to this forum and they join and post up at least 5 legit posts. So if Joe Blow, a legit, JK owning registered member here sends 1 of his JK owning (this is a stipulation, they must own a JK) buddies here and they make 5 legit posts, I'll pay to have Joe Blow sent a set of JKOwners.com badges.

Terms and conditions apply. See store for details. Not available in all markets. Offer may be revoked at any time. 2 year agreement required. Residents of Puerto Rico not eligible. Employees of he IRS will be fed to the sharks. Douche bags will be strapped to the back of the IRS employees.

·
Registered
159 Posts
All of that sounds good to me. As long as the content is user controlled for the most part (except for douche bag flamers as you mentioned), seems like a winning idea.

Just remembered something needed... The :beer: icon in the smilies.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sweet new smiles. (these are getting boring):D

Just a though, on another forum I'm on (not jeep related) you can't PM or start threads for the first 15 posts. It's kind of a trial stage to see if you'd be a good member or a non-beneficial member. After 15, you have all of your privileges. If you're a jerk or caused trouble, they will ask you to leave. I'm ok with it (maybe cuz I'm past 15 posts:p) but I don't know about anyone else. Just a though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Noticed in a post above...

May be a minor point but even though the site is JKowners.com shouldn't it include those wanting to be owners or interested in being owners or those just dreaming of being owners rather than just current owners?

Although I personally own one - I've learned a lot about Jeeping and this JK from folks who are still - even if temporarily - on the sidelines.

Hopefully it wouldn't be an exclusive to those currently owning but open to those interested in buying/owning or those trying to figure out how to justify one to the wife, or for those students we know that may not yet have the entrance fee (even if they'll find a way shortly!).

·
Registered
119 Posts
May be a minor point but even though the site is JKowners.com shouldn't it include those wanting to be owners or interested in being owners or those just dreaming of being owners rather than just current owners?

Although I personally own one - I've learned a lot about Jeeping and this JK from folks who are still - even if temporarily - on the sidelines.

Hopefully it wouldn't be an exclusive to those currently owning but open to those interested in buying/owning or those trying to figure out how to justify one to the wife, or for those students we know that may not yet have the entrance fee (even if they'll find a way shortly!).
Ahh yes, thank you AZ. I agree.

G

·
0 Posts
That sounds great. I also think it's important for the site to focus on the positive things about owning a JK. Wheeling, of course, is number 1. I really like having a good solid technical section. I've learned a ton about potential problems with the JK and the available solutions from these forums and find that one of the most beneficial aspects.

On another forum they post all the TSBs and the recall information and I also find that quite useful.

Meet and greets for the different regional areas, as MichaelW mentioned would be great. Photos of folks rigs and trail runs are always great. I think the photos always help when you are trying to decide on something new for your JK - does a so and so product look the way you want, does the 3" lift look right with 35" tires, etc.

I think that a lot of careful thought should be given to the organization of the different sections. There's always a tradeoff between too many sections and too few. I tend to like fewer sections with more posts per section. I find it easier to just scroll through a bunch of posts than to keep opening each new section (modified, electrical, chit chat, ...) and then scroll through them.

And of course, none of the censorship BS! We are all adults and we can all think for ourselves. Getting ALL the information in the hands of the users is really important and is in our best interest. We don't need papa deciding what we can read and what we can't.

This should be awesome!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Photos?

I know that there are a lot of options but having a gallery attached to the site is fairly nice to be able to upload photos to (realizing size limitations).

A newbie section of just basics - Jeeping 101 types of things will be very helpful too where there can be some lists - tips - and just basics of wheeling that might otherwise take too long to go searching for...

And then the ever fun time waster....if it hasn't been started yet....coming soon - word association!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I know that there are a lot of options but having a gallery attached to the site is fairly nice to be able to upload photos to (realizing size limitations).

A newbie section of just basics - Jeeping 101 types of things will be very helpful too where there can be some lists - tips - and just basics of wheeling that might otherwise take too long to go searching for...

And then the ever fun time waster....if it hasn't been started yet....coming soon - word association!!
HA HA HA yes, the infamous word association. No forum is complete with out one.

With the photos, do you mean something like P******-J*?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think this all sounds pretty good. I think that we should keep it laid back and mature. Not just a bunch of crap posted and silly polls. I like the polls that really tell you something such as "what kind of tire are people using." Not " snot balls to eat or not to eat?" Mature talk and tech. with a whole lot of fun and entertainment. (and friendly harassment of course)

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
as far as the topics go i like what we have so far, but id like to see a area for different parts of the country, a gallery would be nice also.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I think you should only let on a few sponsoring manufacturers, but don't allow any sponsors that compete with the ones that give you free parts. Then, only allow people to discuss parts from those paid sponsering manufactures and edit the posts about manufacturers that you do not allow to advertise, then send the poster a nasty PM and eventually ban them. In general, you should be a real a-hole douche bag, oh-yeah and lie a lot.

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
I think you should only let on a few sponsoring manufacturers, but don't allow any sponsors that compete with the ones that give you free parts. Then, only allow people to discuss parts from those paid sponsering manufactures and edit the posts about manufacturers that you do not allow to advertise, then send the poster a nasty PM and eventually ban them. In general, you should be a real a-hole douche bag, oh-yeah and lie a lot.
:laughing2::laughing2::laughing2::laughing2:

·
Registered
52 Posts
already feels like home...if I have to be on a jeep site for work :thefinger: , at least it looks and feels like the board I go to regularly ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
How about working out some system to reward members that regularly contribute quality write-ups, tech tips, etc.? Here's why:

Now that we're THE official Pirate4x4 JK affiliate, membership's going to grow... that's a given. However, the only way you're going to keep that membership is by offering a lot of useful information. What better way to get people to add quality content than by somehow rewarding them?

For example, set up a giveaway or two where, in order to qualify for consideration, a user has to post at least 1 quality write-up or technical thread by a certain date, and PM you with a link to their thread (where you and the other admins/mods can judge what counts as "quality")?

Just trying to look out for the long-term... :beer:

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
It's a good idea Mike.

Depending I might be down for sponsoring a T-shirt give-a-way a month for contributions once we get our badges. :grinpimp:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts