JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok im new to Jeeps and off roading in general and this is pretty much my first post in these forums.

I was reading abit and researching about Big Bend Ranch. Found some great info on these forums. Then i ran into this website. well dang it wont let me post a link. :| What got my attention was this sentence . " Off-road driving of any kind is prohibited. "

Kinda goes against everything ive seen from that area. Perhaps im just taking it the wrong way. Was hoping some good folks here would chime in.

Was a decent excuse to post something anyway :smile2:

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
It's a little misleading if interpreted the wrong way. Off road travel is prohibited but the word "road" can in certain areas be a very loose interpretation. "Roads" in some areas of Big Bend NP ( and even more so throughout Big Bend SP) are nothing more than washed out, rutted, boulder-laden, 4wd only routes. They are [again] in certain areas very rugged and almost not distinguishable as anything like a road as most people know a road to be. These "roads" can also be somewhat difficult to follow in some spots so extra diligence is required. Essentially you cannot simply head off in any direction that you choose so trail-blazing is absolutely forbidden. Maps are a necessity in some places out there due to the lack of identifiable roadways.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply that makes more sense. Alot of old trails and "roads" not maintained. Just cant go in any direction you please.

·
Super Moderator
6,179 Posts

man, if that were not a 17-18 hour drive from where I am , I'd be out there tomorrow morning getting lost on the poorly maintained "roads" . Beautiful looking state / federal park.:jeep2:

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
man, if that were not a 17-18 hour drive from where I am , I'd be out there tomorrow morning getting lost on the poorly maintained "roads" . Beautiful looking state / federal park.:jeep2:
It really is. I honestly hate this state for a lot of things ( although every state has plenty to rub anyone the wrong way). But something that I've always sincerely loved about Texas is the incredible diversity of landscape/ environment. Here goes the sales pitch lmao: The cypress swamps of the extreme southeast, the eastern pine forests, the geological escarpments of the hill country, the deserts of the west/ southwest, the mountains of the extreme western regions, the Palo Duro canyon, and rolling plains of the panhandle, the sandy shores of the coastal regions, etc. And that doesn't even get into all of the cultural diversity. It truly is an amazing state in so many ways for any outdoor enthusiast.

·
Super Moderator
6,179 Posts
it seems easy to overlook the obvious in that it's so damn vast & expansive that it plays no-small-part in the massive diversity of cultural as well-as the environmental and geological terrain ,no doubt

I drove from Nashville to Baja Norte in my younger days & one of the many things I do recall is how incredibly long it took to get thru Texas. That and a particularly vivid recollection of understanding that in Lubbock the boys don't like long hair on guys too much.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not a 17 hour drive for me but probably still a solid 8 hour drive. Looking forward to going soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts