JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a lot of confusion about the SB winches so I called them up and asked if there had been a change. This is what I was told.Smittybilt has just changed their 8000 lbs winch. The old one is a 4.1 HP Permanent magnet design and the new one is a 5.5HP series wound design. If you order you need to be sure the retailer knows the difference.the old part is number 97280 and the new part is number 97281
Good day from Bad Day

·
Registered
774 Posts
Not sure about the new one but the older one is a rebadged Milemarker.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Anyone know which would be the better choice? While I would like to have a winch, I can't justify spending big bucks on something that will get used very infrequently, so I was looking hard at the Smittybilt. Should I get the new p/n or the old one? Thanks. :)

Also, has the price changed or is it still $299?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
broke doggy

you guys will have to tell me about the price. I just got the bill for the SRC front bumper K&N filter and the custom exhaust so I AM BROKE. let me know what you find out

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I can confirm it's rebadged. I took the silenoid aprat to relocate near the battery and I recall seeing Mile Marker on the wire insulation. I understand the Series wound is a better selection. I don't have the spec's to compare side by side to give a complete review but it should be faster for longer pulls. The old version that I have is slow and heats up real fast. 1 minutes run then 3 to 4 for cooling then 1 min then 3 to 4 for cooling. You get the picture when it will pull in about 6 feet per minute or something like that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There is a lot of confusion about the SB winches so I called them up and asked if there had been a change. This is what I was told.Smittybilt has just changed their 8000 lbs winch. The old one is a 4.1 HP Permanent magnet design and the new one is a 5.5HP series wound design. If you order you need to be sure the retailer knows the difference.the old part is number 97280 and the new part is number 97281
Good day from Bad Day
That sounds like the specs for the new XRC 10.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Anyone know which would be the better choice? While I would like to have a winch, I can't justify spending big bucks on something that will get used very infrequently, so I was looking hard at the Smittybilt. Should I get the new p/n or the old one? Thanks. :)

Also, has the price changed or is it still $299?
Make sure you get a good one so you can pull me out:D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I double checked

That sounds like the specs for the new XRC 10.
You made me think twice about that (and it hurt)so I went to the smittybilt website and double checked. according to SB those are the specs for the new xrc8 unfortunatly they wont sell one directly

·
Registered
14 Posts
You made me think twice about that (and it hurt)so I went to the smittybilt website and double checked. according to SB those are the specs for the new xrc8 unfortunatly they wont sell one directly
I guess that means they are using the same motor on the XRC 8 and XRC 10. I wonder what the difference in the updated 8 and the 10 will be?

Edit: I answered my own question. It seems the 10 has larger cable, lower gear ratio and weighs 14 pounds more.

http://www.4wd.com/jeep-parts.aspx?cid=1003&jeep-sid=1041&plID=10130

1 - 10 of 10 Posts