JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone wondering whether it's worth it...I don't think so. I just got one in my 2012 Jeep as an option and it doesn't sound near....not even near as good as the KDC-HD545U Kenwood CD receiver with USB interface with the Kickers I had in my 2007 that Best Buy installed...total price about $550 or so.

Its the RES Head Unit with the Infinity 7 speakers...supposedly 368w or something. So now, probably going back to the stereo place to replace the Infinitys with Kickers all the way around.....don't know if I'll replace the head unit or not yet. Don't know much about it but I guess I'll let them tell me.

I just wanted good sound loud enough to hear with the top off at about 65 to 70mph,

OR if anyone has done something simple to improve the Infinity's let me know. I'm thinking just do the Kicker upgrade first and see how that goes. Would appreciate any suggestions though because I can't believe it doesn't even come close to the aftermarket relatively cheap one I had in the 07.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I haven't messed with the stereo in the JK (yet), but in my experience with previous cars you just aren't going to beat an aftermarket setup. Even on the cheaper side of things, if it's installed by someone competent coupled with some sound deadening material like Dynamat you'll see a vast improvement.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, i thought so. They just discounted the Jeep a good bit and it happened to be in there. Alex at Best Buy Crabtree put the aftermarket stereo and Viper in my 07 and he's very knowledgeable....not just nay installer. I'll be paying him a visit in the next week or so. He put the Kenwood and Kicker in and adjusted everything in the last JK and you could definitely hear it with the top down at 70.

Those Kickers are relatively cheap too and the difference is night and day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts