JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mounted a waterproof IR bullet camera above my front axle. It's pugged in to my 7" Clarion DVD player (backup camera input). INSTANT SPOTTER!:grinpimp:

I was shocked at how well the camera's 36 IR LED's light up the ground when I tested it in pitch dark!! I can see very well on the screen, even though it's pitch black!

So I got to thnkin... WHAT IF I installed these waterproof IR 48-LED lights under the Jeep(within the camera's range of vision)? Found them for $16!!
I know, I know, this is pretty"Geek Squad", bu seems kinda cool, no?:smokin:

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I am interested in how you got your bullet cam mounted and which one you got.. I have been looking at different models but couldn't figure out which one was the best bang for the buck..

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am interested in how you got your bullet cam mounted and which one you got.. I have been looking at different models but couldn't figure out which one was the best bang for the buck..
Well, my IT guy at work introduced me to this website that sells all sorts of gadget crap out of Hong Kong. He buys HID flashlights and "lasers" that can start cats on fire from this company. And the stuff is cheap and free shipping.
So the first camera I bought was a backup camera...
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5891
I thought I was so cool, until I found that the image is backwards(mirrored) if you mount it facing forward.(Duh!) So a geek told me to mess with the flux capacitor inside the camera, and I ended up frying it! But during disassembly, I learned that the little camera was machined aluminum and has 3 O-Rings making it completely sealed. I was amazed at the quality!
So I ordered up this one...
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26538
I'll be ditching the ghey brackets, and still playing with different mounting locations to see which is best.
Wiring is a snap! Composite RCA video plug to head unit, which has "Video In" on the source screen. Switched and fused 12V+, and ground. That's it! I ran the 12V+ to a ignition switched source, and spliced in a little toggle, so the thing isn't on all the time.
I'll get some cool pics when it's all finished up! I'm a dork.:grinpimp:

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Wont replace a real spotter, but is better than nothing if you dont have one

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I am digging this!

Subscribed...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Cool! I don't think anything beats a good seasoned spotter but this is cool!
WE NEED DETAILS!!!
I've got a couple free plugs on my nav screen and this might be neat to have! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

·
Registered
578 Posts
I like the idea!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts