JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to purchase a new JKU. It will be a 2014 Copperhead Pearl, and i want to throw some black wheels on there as soon as possible... The Copperhead color looks a lot better with black.
Any one have any suggestions on some decent to good looking INEXPENSIVE black wheels? Ill be running 35s. I have about $3K to work with for re-gearing, wheels, and tires.
i know its not a lot, especially considering gearing. not to mention the question of locking up the rear end.
Any tire suggestions are welcome as well. Its the first time I've ever gone shopping for either.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have the pro comp 7069 and i really like them. I run Nitto Trail Graplers and they are great on and off road. If your planning doing the gears your self $3k may be doable. If your paying for labor your looking at atleast $1100 for gears and labor $650-$700 for wheels (5) and $1500+ for tires. If you have 3.73 gears with the 3.6L you should be ok with 35s for now. What are you planning for a lift? Have you thought about picking up some used wheels to cut down on cost?

·
Registered
361 Posts
One of the guys I worked with painted his stock wheels black. Not a factory look, but its was fairly decent. Then you might need to get the wheel spacers if you get larger tires.

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
If low-buck is a main factor and you like the form of your stock rims, a paint job and some spacers are your low-cost leader.
If you want to paint your rims black, here's what has worked well for me a few times: http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2124074&postcount=55

Black steel rims can be almost as cheap as spacers if you're OK with steel rims. Durability is a plus with steel, weight is a minus.

Next up from that cost-wise would be used alloy rims (can run half of new or less).
If you're in Northern California, my factory Rubicon Moab rims (painted black) are a killer deal. :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Crager Soft 8's are ~$55/each shipped from Summit. Steel, ~15# heavier than comparable Pro-comp 8 hole aluminums for less than half the price.

ETA: Suggest waiting on a regear until you can afford to lock both the front and rear. No point in paying for labor twice, just save up once.

·
A JKO DICK
3,690 Posts
I didn't get black, but Discount Tire Direct has promotions all the time and a forum rep here, so you can check with him for the best deals. They also give a discount for buying 5 tires and wheels. I got (5) 17x9 Black Rock aluminum wheels and 35 Falcon Wild Peaks mounted, balanced and delivered with new lugs for like $1800 and then got $180 back in Visa gift cards after rebates.

·
Registered
430 Posts
call Marcus at Rivercityoffroad, he's a vendor on here, hooked me up (as well as many others on here) with good deals

·
Registered
112 Posts
I painted my stock rims and eventually ordered some Level 8 Trackers from Marcus. I think they were $110 each

·
Registered
154 Posts
I got my wheels and tires from Krawl off-Road - but they really came from Discount tire online. they are MB72's and overall I'm quite happy with the look and price was excellent.

If I was looking again, I would be trying to get the Procomps posted above on the mango tango pc.

The painting of the stock ones are probably cheapest, You may be hard pressed to find wheels/tires and a regear for 3K as the regear alone will eat up $1500 to $2000 for gears and install. Figure 35" tires are close to $1500 for 5.

Whatever you decide - do post pics!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have MB Black Razor wheels, they are 17x9 aluminum, think $105 a wheels at Discount Tire. I like them and they have held up fairly well to the abuse of the rocks out here. My only issue with them is the center caps stick out pretty far and get caught on rocks. I have broken 3 in a week and replacements are like $30 each.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Another vote for mb wheels, I got the cheap mb72's, discount tire hooked it up cheap. They look good, and are pretty tough. Holding up great so far and that have been beaten and bashed on rocks with a little more than just moderate use.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
on the mb wheels, what back spacing did you guys get.

·
Probably Stuck on my Diff
1,276 Posts
My Black Rock 909s 17" alloys have been good.. I paid like $120 ea.

I did find out recently that I bent one wheel pretty good, not sure when, but I also have not been gentle to them. I also noticed that I gouge the wheels pretty good on rock, but flat black spray paint touches them up perfectly.

I run them without center caps..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts