JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Today I lost a long time friend and loyal companion. My dog of 16 years of age died today. Shelby will be greatly missed and the love she brought will never be forgotten. Never was there and never again will there be a dog as good as she was.

Shelby was born in Minnesota before moving with me to Colorado, Virginia, and finally Georgia. Her favorite place was the mountains in Colorado where she enjoyed her best years. It was there that she could be the most like a dog -- the most wild.

She had worn her age well, but a few months ago had to be moved to the garage, because she couldn't control her bowels. Today she slipped out while I was backing up (something she never does) and was hurt pretty badly. I made the decision based on her age and other factors to put her to sleep. She passed peacefully in my arms shortly after.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Sorry about your Loss.I for one have many animals here @ my home and I understand how it feels.My prayers are with you and your Family.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Sorry for your loss Tony. It sucks to lose a good pet. You made the right choice at her age if it makes you feel any better.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The decision to put a pet down is a very difficult one to face. Know that she was relying on you to make the call and you stepped up. It is the greatest responsibility in pet ownership and it sucks no two ways about it. You made the tough and correct call. My sympathies are with you and your family.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
My condolences to you and your family.

I lost my best friend of 14 years in 2006, And i have yet to find it in my heart to get another dog... The pain of losing another one hurts too much.

Here's my buddy Jack

R.I.P

Attachments

A

·
0 Posts
Taking them to the vet that last time is one of the hardest things to do in life. It looks like she had a wonderful owner and a good 16 doggy years.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. I think I really needed to tell yall. It's really feeling allot harder on me than I thought. Allot harder then my childhood dog that I lost at 19.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I completely feel your pain. I made the call with my little girl Heidi a year ago next week. She had cancer. It's the best & worst thing at the same time.

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your loss.
I know how you feel. I had the best German Shepard ever. Got old, typical hip problems, in alot of pain towards the end. I sat with her on my lap one day for about 2 hours when I decided to go up to the house (Geisha was my shop dog) and get my .38 cal. I knew she didnt have much time left, and she was really hurtin with no relief in sight. Anyways, I was prepared to put her out of her misery. When I got back down to the shop, she had already passed....curled up in the corner.

Wow... hadnt thought about that in awhile.

My sympathies to you and yours.

·
Registered
254 Posts
i have two dogs, myself and have had loss with pets in the past, my sympathy goes out to you, it is always a hard loss when our dogs are such true friends and companions

·
Registered
323 Posts
My heart bleeds for your loss. :bawling:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know as pet owners we all have heard this poem it always helps me get through the loss of a companion..and if by chance you have not ever read this my it also help you..again so sorry for the loss...

RainbowsBridge.com
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Since I am on IGGY, you won't see this, but I am truly sorry for your loss...I have been through this a couple of times, and I can appreciate your pain. Take care.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks again to everyone for their comments.

Since I am on IGGY, you won't see this, but I am truly sorry for your loss...I have been through this a couple of times, and I can appreciate your pain. Take care.
I still read your posts when the topic isn't something that could be controversial or inflammatory. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Sorry for the loss.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts