JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had it. I'm done. This is bullshit...

so in may i said i'd had enough. i'm sick of this shit. i was up to 278. i'm 6'3" and i've always been a big dude. not fat, but i played football and stuff. sexy fat :) but 278 was just straight up fat.

anyway, i started doing slimfast and cutting calories (using shakes to replace meals when i didn't have healthy options available).

That got me down to 245. That's the thinnest i've been since 2005. And i stayed there for about a month. I stopped losing.

SOOOOOOOO this week i started p90x3 in the mornings. It's kicking my ass. I hate it lol. But i'm so fucking sick of being fat. I bought a new mountain bike and am supplementing workouts with the mountain bike. did 10 miles on trails saturday and burned 800 calories... i mean, i ate like a horse that night but still ended up in good shape calorie wise on the day.

Anyway, i just figured i'd share. Next year i'm not going to be a fat guy on a little bike raising $ for cf. i'm going to be lean, mean, and doing the 100 mile ride to raise $.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Good luck buddy! I had the same revelation at the end of last year. I was 5'10 and 320 around October of last year. I am down to 265 with a goal of 250 by the end of the year. Next year I plan on losing 50 pounds. I found it super helpful to set short term goals a long with the long term. Ive always hated running so I ride my bicycle and go hiking instead. Again good luck to you I know the struggle.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Get yourself a HR monitor. If you take your age minus 180, that's you cardio/aerobic burn heart rate. If you go over that you basically burn sugars and carbs, if you stay 10% +\- that you will burn more fat. P90x is a good anaerobic workout that will kick your ass, but mix in some running or biking at a steady pace to burn even more fat and strengthen your heart at the same time.

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
I'm loving it. Remember the transformation that Sneck made, if that knob can do it so can you. And instead of "fat" can we say "portly"?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Congrats on your progress so far, and good luck with your goals. I know how you feel. Damn I've got fat. I've gotta do something myself.

·
Registered
288 Posts
changing up how you exercise is good but please remember 2 very simple facts:

• the battle will ultimately be won with your fork and glass, not the latest and greatest fad exercise
  • build muscle, period. lift heavy, lift hard
what you eat and drink and sleep will ultimately dictate your results.

cardio is great but building muscle is what wins.

·
Registered
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
changing up how you exercise is good but please remember 2 very simple facts:

• the battle will ultimately be won with your fork and glass, not the latest and greatest fad exercise
  • build muscle, period. lift heavy, lift hard
what you eat and drink and sleep will ultimately dictate your results.

cardio is great but building muscle is what wins.
so i've been using the my fitness tracker from under armor to track my calories. I've been at or under 2010 calories with a few exceptions. And that was working great until i hit about 30 lbs lost. and then i kinda bottomed out. I know i needed exercise to bump the metabolism because that's not that many calories for a guy my size.

I'm sure your Jeep is grateful for the extra ground clearance. :)

So, do you have a target weight?
230. Haven't been there since high school. and it's a good weight for me. and that will be about 50 lbs lost give or take one or two lbs.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Good luck! At your age, you should be able get as ripped as you'll ever be, even better than in HS. I don't think you'll be hurtin' yourself if you shot for 215, and you'd be one seriously BAMF! Of course, stayin' there would be just as serious of a commitment and long-term may not be healthy...gotta have some fat for everyday livin'. :drinking-42:

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Good luck its been something I have been battling for a long time. I'm back in the saddle so I hope to trim down to 200.

Jason

·
Registered
180 Posts
bsack... You really don't want pictures!!! I've been battling my weight for years. I'm too heavy right now and I'm trying to lose weight. Good luck to everyone trying.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Congrats on your progress so far, and good luck with your goals. I know how you feel. Damn I've got fat. I've gotta do something myself.

Me too...

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I've had it. I'm done. This is bullshit...

so in may i said i'd had enough. i'm sick of this shit. i was up to 278. i'm 6'3" and i've always been a big dude. not fat, but i played football and stuff. sexy fat :) but 278 was just straight up fat.

anyway, i started doing slimfast and cutting calories (using shakes to replace meals when i didn't have healthy options available).

That got me down to 245. That's the thinnest i've been since 2005. And i stayed there for about a month. I stopped losing.
I'm basically the same. I'm the same height, and I've always been on the heavy side. Back about ten years ago I was easily 300 pounds, but I stopped drinking soda (I was at like six+ per day), and dropped almost 40 pounds with literally nothing else.

With exercise and still eating just as shitty as I always did, I got down to 245 over the course of six months, which I was happy with. My frame carries that well, and though my goal was about 230 I felt, and looked, the best I felt I ever had.

Then I quit smoking.

Then I got married.

Then I gained back everything and then some and had ballooned up to 315 pounds.

At the beginning of this year, I decided to make some changes. I downloaded an application called MyFitnessPal (I call it MyFatnessPal) and started counting calories.

You put in your details, and your goal, and it gives you a per-day calorie limit that is designed to lose you only about 1-2 pounds per week. Slow weight loss is the best way to make sure it stays off.

It is eye-opening when you start paying attention to serving sizes, and fat/sugar content of food. When I'm feeling "snacky" I go and scan in, or enter, the food I'm gonna munch on, and a lot of the time it shows me what the calories and fat are, and I'm like, "Oh hell no." and I put it back on the shelf.

Since the start of the year, I've lost 35 pounds with literally *no* exercise. None. All I've done is count calories. The application gave me a daily allowance of 2,290 calories.

But I've hit a bit of a wall, and because of this, I've started exercising daily and also dialed back the calorie allowance to 2,000. I don't expect that I'm going to lose a ton more weight, because I've started strength training and lifting weights harder and heavier than I ever have in the past (my weight machine is maxed out at this point). But I've already almost completely eliminated the "batwings" underarm-fat and Moobs by replacing it with muscle.

One guy in my office building used that application, dialed himself back to 1600-1800 calories, and has dropped like 80-100 pounds. Honestly, he's going a little overboard with it because he's now so thin he looks like he's sick.

Depending on how my body reacts here in the next few weeks, I may dial myself back to 1800-1900 calories, just to see how I do. Since I've been doing it incrementally, I don't really ever feel like I'm starving myself.

~SoCo

·
Registered
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Let me beat Jaker to the punch...
This thread is worthless without pics.
LOL, for shits and giggles... (and don't worry, i'm not posting any shirtless pics)

last year at the cycle for life (don't have anything more current handy)

this was a month ago:

not earth shattering, but i'm getting there.

·
Registered
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Good luck! At your age, you should be able get as ripped as you'll ever be, even better than in HS. I don't think you'll be hurtin' yourself if you shot for 215, and you'd be one seriously BAMF! Of course, stayin' there would be just as serious of a commitment and long-term may not be healthy...gotta have some fat for everyday livin'. :drinking-42:
I hear ya man. I want to hit my 230 goal and then i'll re evaluate where i'm at. I might move away from weight and move towards inches or whatever. right now i'm doing the lean program on p90x3. plus diet. after i ditch another 15 i'll probably move into trying to get ripped.

This has to be a long term commitment. My family has a history of heart disease. and with my daughters having CF they're going to need to be athletes and work out aholics. time to man up and lead by example ya know.

I'm basically the same. I'm the same height, and I've always been on the heavy side. Back about ten years ago I was easily 300 pounds, but I stopped drinking soda (I was at like six+ per day), and dropped almost 40 pounds with literally nothing else.

With exercise and still eating just as shitty as I always did, I got down to 245 over the course of six months, which I was happy with. My frame carries that well, and though my goal was about 230 I felt, and looked, the best I felt I ever had.

Then I quit smoking.

Then I got married.

Then I gained back everything and then some and had ballooned up to 315 pounds.

At the beginning of this year, I decided to make some changes. I downloaded an application called MyFitnessPal (I call it MyFatnessPal) and started counting calories.

You put in your details, and your goal, and it gives you a per-day calorie limit that is designed to lose you only about 1-2 pounds per week. Slow weight loss is the best way to make sure it stays off.

It is eye-opening when you start paying attention to serving sizes, and fat/sugar content of food. When I'm feeling "snacky" I go and scan in, or enter, the food I'm gonna munch on, and a lot of the time it shows me what the calories and fat are, and I'm like, "Oh hell no." and I put it back on the shelf.

Since the start of the year, I've lost 35 pounds with literally *no* exercise. None. All I've done is count calories. The application gave me a daily allowance of 2,290 calories.

But I've hit a bit of a wall, and because of this, I've started exercising daily and also dialed back the calorie allowance to 2,000. I don't expect that I'm going to lose a ton more weight, because I've started strength training and lifting weights harder and heavier than I ever have in the past (my weight machine is maxed out at this point). But I've already almost completely eliminated the "batwings" underarm-fat and Moobs by replacing it with muscle.

One guy in my office building used that application, dialed himself back to 1600-1800 calories, and has dropped like 80-100 pounds. Honestly, he's going a little overboard with it because he's now so thin he looks like he's sick.

Depending on how my body reacts here in the next few weeks, I may dial myself back to 1800-1900 calories, just to see how I do. Since I've been doing it incrementally, I don't really ever feel like I'm starving myself.

~SoCo
that's the app i'm using. what's nice is mapmyride and mapmyrun can link to the myfitnesspal and it enters your calories burned into your entire calorie intake equation. my non-exercisting goals are 2010 calories a day. honestly it's not that bad either.

breakfast is usually fruit, lunch is veggies with some lite ranch, and usually something like a 6" grilled chicken sub (no cheese) with lots of veggies and vinegar on top. dinner i usually go a little crazy on though since it leaves me with over 1300 calories for the rest of the night. So i'll do 2 pork chops, a starch, and a big pile of steamed veggies and usually a desert (we'll go for an ice cream run in the jeep or something). it's really not bad.

I also ordered running shoes today (and some crossfit shoes for the p90x3). My wife wants to get back into running. While i HATE it, i do enjoy spending time with her. So i'm going to try and get a run in with her now and then (tough when someone always has to be with the kids, and penelope is still too small for the running stroller).

and i also bought this a few weeks ago. 90 minute ride killed 800 calories. and it's a blast. hard to argue with that:

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
So I take it that this thread is giving notice to every other swinging d*ck on here that you are taking the 2016 Dilfy Daddy contest serious and if you see a clown step up without training you'll be knocking him on his rump and take the title?

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
Get to work, Ryan! Losing weight is hard as hell, but it can be done, i'm sitting on yet another plateau myself after cutting soda and a huge amount of sugar out of my diet. Time to push again.

You can do this, my friend!

Sorry had to put some funnay up in here...

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Good for you man. The workout videos, gym and other solitary activities are a great step forward. However, keep your options open, I think solitary activities make it much more difficult to maintain a longterm workout plan and that should be the main goal - lifelong fitness.

In my late 20's I switched my focus to exercise with two requirements

1) Fun Activities
2) Group Accountability

I am now in the best shape of my life in my late 30's. I think martial arts are great because you have a goal (the next belt) and your friends keep you motivated and accountable if you miss class. Right now I spend 4 days a week training Jiu Jitsu and a few days Mountain Biking. I really never "workout" so it's never a choice between the couch and the gym, I would rather be exercising because the activities are much more fun.

Enjoy the journey.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts