JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wiring a PA speaker to connect to my CB radio. The CB has a mini-plug, but the speaker has bare wires. I know the speaker cables are black (-) and red (+). However, which is the negative wire on the cable I am holding in my hand in this picture? The center wire seems to be insulated with a clear sheathing and runs in the center of the outer black sheath. The other wire is bare and runs loosely inside the black sheath. If I had to guess, I would think the center wire is the positive (+), but I need a little help here.

Thanks and happy Easter!

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Hopefully someone who actually knows can chime in...

I would twist them together and do a test.. with the outer wire as the negative.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
I would have to say that the center wire should be the "positive" or powered side (like coax) and the ground would be shielding that wire and be the left wire. But I'm no EE or expert on that!

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
thinking about how one of those plugs works the center is the positive and the outer portion is the negative. Same as an RCA setup... I believe.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I think that's what I'm going with. Worse case scenario is I'll reverse them if it sounds wierd (out of phase).

Also doing an OBA install after this, so I may have more questions. I'll post those up in mod or gen.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Thanks guys. I think that's what I'm going with. Worse case scenario is I'll reverse them if it sounds wierd (out of phase).
That's what I'd expect to be the worst case scenario as well. No biggie.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Worked great. Center shielded wire is positive. Thanks guys. I took pics and will post this week. OBA is a bear to install. Can't seem to find a good spot for the 2.5g tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts