JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im going to be taking a trip to the Chicago area and was wondering what the laws there are? Im coming from Ohio which means I have basically no fenders and no third brake light and no fender mounted marker lights/turn signals whatever they were. Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks! I dont wanna be heading home with a stack of tickets.:shaking:

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
I thought as long as your vehicle was legal in the state where it's registered, you didn't need to comply with the state regs where you are.

i.e. front plates in Jersey. I don't have one, but I'm registered in PA.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
thats what i thought too. of course in alabama if it can roll down the street its legal

·
Registered
860 Posts
I don't remember the specifics from when I lived there, (and I especially don't know how the regs apply to Jeeps) but I know that for trucks it's pretty restrictive. I don't remember the max height, but lift is measured from the frame, and I think GVW plays a role as well.

For example, a friend who still lives out there gets ticketed regularly when he drives his mildly lifted '08 Silverado on 36's...and this is in very rural IL; hard telling how they'd handle the situation in a larger city.

You should be able to looks up the ordinances on IL's DMV website.

-WRM

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
As has been stated, if you are legal in the state you are registered in you are good to go. if your only worries are marker lights and 3rd brake light no one will notice.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Dont worry about it. I live in Chicago and I used to have an 85 blazer with 44inch monster mudders and a 14inch lift and I never once gotten a ticket.

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
I got a ticket in Virgina for my tint and my car was registered in Florida where it was well within the legal limit. They told me to Eat a Dick when I tried to pull the registered in a different state thing. They are a commonwealth, so maybe its different.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Cops don't care about the law when it comes to these things. They figure out of state people won't fight it and they get to fill there quota. (They will always deny that there is a quota but they exist in every state otherwise it can't be a budget line item for "revenue.")
But if you don't an illegal ticket you could get nailed with points in your state and higher premiums for operating an "illegal vehicle" that isn't illegal.
The fact is that as long as your vehicle is in compliance with the regulations where it is registered, you can not legally be cited.
In NC, some towns make up there own rules about tire coverage and lights that conflict with state law. These are created for the sole purpose of manufacturing probable cause to stop a car. The tickets are never upheld if appealed and most of the time such stops only result in a "warning" because even the police officers know the local rules are unenforceable.
NC has no limit on lift height. A monster truck that could not be registered in MA but is legal in NC and registered in NC can drive on any road legally in the country if it fits.
But that doesn't stop police from trying to inflict their laws on out of state vehicles.
Many states explicitly enforce at a much higher rate on out of state vehicles because they are less likely to fight it.
BTW, Myrtle Beach SC was ordered to refund 100% + of all the fines ever collected for local helmet law violations because state law specifically makes not wearing a helmet legal on a motorcycle. The town also uses local "noise" ordinances against completely legal out of state motorcycles. It is all about money. They could care less about the law.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts