JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
..better get it fixed BEFORE your factory warranty runs out because it is NOT covered under Chrysler's "MAX CARE" warranty plan. (it is specifically excluded).

The dealer wants $900 for the BENT (warped) header panel on mine (repaired once under factory warranty) and now out of my pocket. I told him....no thanks. They are blaming ME for the way I raise/lower the top (possible). But no matter, it is still not covered.

Oh, well. Just a caution.

(BTW I have 40,000+ mile on it. The jeep is now 21 months old.)

The rear brakes were bad. Replaced.
The transmission was flashed.
I had the diffs & transfer case serviced.
I had the transmission serviced, and while that was being done had a Transmission temperature gauge installed AND transmission oil cooler.
Skipped the top leak repair. I'll figure something out on that.

So, with all that, the jeep has been in the shop 7 working days.

·
Registered
88 Posts
How did you realize it was getting warped?

Did the dealer tell you specifically where in the process lowering process you were wrong?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stock dealer excuse "YOU are at fault". That was their first diagnosis. The technician diagnosed a "warped header". Jeep only uses two clamps at the side to secure the top and my observation is it causes the center of the top to "bow", in my case down a bit, so that it has a vaguely depressed area right in the center.

Their 'fix' was to replace the soft-top. Not covered under warranty. $900. I told them "No thanks!"

They did replace the driver's side door seal and we'll see if that cures the problem next time it rains. (It was dripping on my armrest in a hard rain)

So, six FULL days in the shop and $1400 later I'm back on the road. Did I say I had a lot of work done? I KNOW better than to take it in for multiple issues! :shaking:

·
Registered
947 Posts
Stock dealer excuse "YOU are at fault". That was their first diagnosis. The technician diagnosed a "warped header". Jeep only uses two clamps at the side to secure the top and my observation is it causes the center of the top to "bow", in my case down a bit, so that it has a vaguely depressed area right in the center.

Their 'fix' was to replace the soft-top. Not covered under warranty. $900. I told them "No thanks!"

They did replace the driver's side door seal and we'll see if that cures the problem next time it rains. (It was dripping on my armrest in a hard rain)

So, six FULL days in the shop and $1400 later I'm back on the road. Did I say I had a lot of work done? I KNOW better than to take it in for multiple issues! :shaking:
My top is leaking too,same spot in the center.I was told by the dealer the header is warped and they will need to replace the header not the whole top,parts ordered.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, get it fixed while under warranty! (If y'all have "extended" warranties, check to see what it covers! My "MAXCARE" specifically excludes the top.)

And they wanted to replace the header on mine to repair the defect. I was quoted the $900 figure. I asked the service writer about that and he said it was basically a new top (probably minus the zip in windows). I don't know that for a fact, I am repeating what he said.

Oh I could wish for the days when my Dad was working. (nah, I'd be really young then.) I used to be able to get parts at a reasonable cost then (usually contract wholesale) so I figure that "$900" retail is like "$400" wholesale.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts