JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about selling my Jeep (& building another TJ/LJ) but have no idea where a starting price would be... any input would be helpful!

2008 Unlimited Sahara w/ 25k miles
Nav & Sirius/Mygig
Hard & Soft Tops
Burnsville Offroad 5.7 Hemi w/ 6.1 heads & intake & stainless dual exhast
Currie RockJock 60 front w/ RCV shafts, 35 spline Eaton E-Locker, 4.88 gears
Teraflex CRD60 rear with 35 Spline ARB, 4.88 gears & Teraflex truss
JE Reel 1350 Drive Shafts
Upgraded Steering: RK Aluminum Tie Rod, HD Drag Link & Aluminum track bar w/ WTOR Hydro Assist
RockKrawler Long Arm (Approx. 3.5" lift)
Radflo coilovers 12" Travel in the front w/ fox air bumps & Bilstein 5150 12" travel shocks in the rear
37x12.50 GY MT/R Kevlar on Hutchinson Beadlocks (all 5)
Treks front & Rear bumpers w/ Treks tire carrier that opens with gate
Ramsey 9500 UT Winch w/ synthetic line and wireless remote
Nemesis Fender Flares & Rockers
Woods On Board Air
SPOD
PolyPerformance Cage (not installed yet)

Here are some shots from EJS... :grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
8,729 Posts
You must have a serious grudge against your bank account.. :thefinger:

You have an awesome JK.. unless someone came along with an offer you couldn't refuse you should keep it. :beer:

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I have serious love for the Lj but I have way too much Into my Jk(not as much as u)
Good luck with the sale if you go for it

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
I figure the Jeep is worth Private party KBB and the parts are worth .20-.50 on the dollar that should get you close. I have not seen a Hemi Rubicon JK below $40K btw

Jason

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
Having seen Slippery's for sale here--no Hemi--and others for sale on eBay, etc., you might get $45k. This is my guess. Some other custom Burnsville JKs have sold for less than that. Although, Teraflex seemed to get high dollar amounts for some of their builds. Maybe call the Teraflex rep here to ask about their experiences trying to sell a $50-$80k jeep.

Or, have Poly, Rock Krawler, Burnsville, or TnT Customs help sell it.

The problem is that you need a cash buyer. Banks will only conventionally loan on non-modified book value.

The other problem is that aftermarket parts are worth only about 10¢ on the dollar installed on the rig but are worth 50¢ on the dollar off the rig.

So, most guys net way more money returning to stock and selling the mods, but your mods are hard to undo.

Maybe consider buying a used stock 2 dr JK for your new build as a stretch with tons. Switch out as much as you can between the two jeeps.

Sell your 4 dr as a Hemi on 35s in the high $30s with coils and the long arm. Your number of potential buyers increase the closer the sales price gets to book because you aren't limited to cash buyers.

Or better, keep the JK and buy a used built trail rig on Pirate for $8-$15k that you can beat.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Good luck. Got rid of my 4 door Rubicon and got an LJ. Didn't have anything invested in parts in the Rubicon where you have a pretty nice rig already. Problem with selling a built rig is you have to find someone who wants exactly your Jeep. Maybe try parting out what you can first?

Here is my LJ during an early spring trip with the wife. 2" lift, 1" BL, metalcloaks and 35's.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Love the lj. my friend just put a long arm on his lj and it is sweeeeet.

Id actually like to sell my jk for a c5 vette then get a tj...

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
I think Hit nailed it on the first reply.

The odds of selling it for what it is really worth is slim - much less what you have in it. You can test the waters on Ebay or some FS threads on Jeep sites - if you don't get what you consider to be a fair deal you don't have to sell it...

·
Registered
561 Posts
what is so grand about the lj that makes ya wanna sell your rig for it? I am not gonna argue it is probably bar none the best platform to start with, but the rig you have has to be a hell of alot more capable/

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
what is so grand about the lj that makes ya wanna sell your rig for it? I am not gonna argue it is probably bar none the best platform to start with, but the rig you have has to be a hell of alot more capable/
My answer is that although the 4dr JK is plush and at the end of a long day you feel less beat up in it than any other jeep in history, it is huge, long, and crazy wide.

A TJ or LJ is much narrower and easier to navigate through tight trails.

The LJ wheel base handles up to 37" tires without a need to stretch it for stability on steep climbs.

The TJ and LJ sheet metal is much stronger and less prone to denting.

A built LJ will weigh as much as 2k lbs less than a built 4dr JK.

There is something about having a rig you feel like you can drive through crazy stuff like Upper Helldorado. It is hard to take a $40-$60k rig through it compared to a $15-$25k rig.

If you trailer your rig to the trails, it is easier to run a large truck camper on a 1 ton dually as the tow rig or a gas powered class C RV as the tow rig than to trailer a 6-7k lbs JK with a 116" wheel base.

If you wheel as a family and need to tow 2-3 rigs on a trailer, a 6-7k lbs 4 dr JK takes up alot of space and weight on that trailer.

An LJ is kind of different because there are relatively few of them compared to TJs and JKs.

Every time I go wheeling in Moab, South Dakota, or similar places, I come back thinking that I might want a less expensive rig that I felt I could beat to crap. As a result, I bought a former W.E. Rock Suzuki buggy last summer and trailered it to EJS along with my 2 dr JK. What I found was that as fun as the buggy was at Area BFE or crawling Widowmaker with a 98" wheelbase without chirping a tire, at the end of the day I felt more beat up than after a day in my plush riding JK.

I don't know if Prope has even close to the same experience or reasons as these, but they would be my reasons for building an LJ on 60s with 37" tires, full armor and coilovers...until I find someone with one built like that who now wants to go to a 4 seater buggy because they are beating their full bodied rig too much. It just never ends...

I saw and heard his rig at EJS, and it is an awesome build.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
My answer is that although the 4dr JK is plush and at the end of a long day you feel less beat up in it than any other jeep in history, it is huge, long, and crazy wide.

A TJ or LJ is much narrower and easier to navigate through tight trails.

The LJ wheel base handles up to 37" tires without a need to stretch it for stability on steep climbs.

The TJ and LJ sheet metal is much stronger and less prone to denting.

A built LJ will weigh as much as 2k lbs less than a built 4dr JK.

There is something about having a rig you feel like you can drive through crazy stuff like Upper Helldorado. It is hard to take a $40-$60k rig through it compared to a $15-$25k rig.

If you trailer your rig to the trails, it is easier to run a large truck camper on a 1 ton dually as the tow rig or a gas powered class C RV as the tow rig than to trailer a 6-7k lbs JK with a 116" wheel base.

If you wheel as a family and need to tow 2-3 rigs on a trailer, a 6-7k lbs 4 dr JK takes up alot of space and weight on that trailer.

An LJ is kind of different because there are relatively few of them compared to TJs and JKs.

Every time I go wheeling in Moab, South Dakota, or similar places, I come back thinking that I might want a less expensive rig that I felt I could beat to crap. As a result, I bought a former W.E. Rock Suzuki buggy last summer and trailered it to EJS along with my 2 dr JK. What I found was that as fun as the buggy was at Area BFE or crawling Widowmaker with a 98" wheelbase without chirping a tire, at the end of the day I felt more beat up than after a day in my plush riding JK.

I don't know if Prope has even close to the same experience or reasons as these, but they would be my reasons for building an LJ on 60s with 37" tires, full armor and coilovers...until I find someone with one built like that who now wants to go to a 4 seater buggy because they are beating their full bodied rig too much. It just never ends...

I saw and heard his rig at EJS, and it is an awesome build.
M LJ weighed 3680 from the factory, it now weighs 4800lbs empty! Add 37's and armor,bumpers adn winch and BAM your just about heavy as a JK equipped.

Jason

·
Registered
10,317 Posts
i want to buy this back!

http://forums.hrja.org/showthread.php?13231-1946-willys-cj2a-up-for-sale!&p=92950#post92950

if you sold your jk you could buy a truck and a bunch of cool jeeps... like the one above (which i want to buy back)

and i disagree with planman. the JK might ride "plush" but the amount of time you spend trying to spot and watch to get the huge ass thing through the trail really wears on your nerves.

a TJ or something like my ol willys above (which i really want to buy back, did i mention that?) was so stress free. i beebop down the trail and don't care. i scrape up against stuff and there's so little body to fuck up, it's 100% relaxing. eleventybillion times more than when i wheel my JK, and thirteenbillion times more relaxing than when i wheeled my unlimited.

there's something about having a rig that doesn't bend when you just look at it wrong that just helps sooth the nerves. That and you're not squeezing a 50,000 dollar rig through the trails lol.

i love my JK too, but that's my .02

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
and i disagree with planman. the JK might ride "plush" but the amount of time you spend trying to spot and watch to get the huge ass thing through the trail really wears on your nerves.
Actually, I totally agree with you.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts