JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was not able to locate any chats about the "Change Oil" reminder that pops ups based only on your odometer. Had my oil changed at the dealer and then two weeks later I get this dinging noise and a "Change Oil" on my odometer display. It does go away pretty quick but I thought this will start to annoy me real fast.

Anyway - called the dealer and they had me do the following:

1/ Put key in ignition and turn to the 'ON' position - do not start.

2/ Press gas pedal to floor three (3) times. You will hear a 'ding' if it worked.

3/ Remove key - your good to go.

Could not believe such a simple fix ! I thought they would tell me to stop in and waste my time. Maybe it is holiday magic. HAPPY HOLIDAYS ALL :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
hmmm... i've done two oil changes now, but never heard a "ding" when resetting the timer. must have been a software update along the way... :)

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
has to standard since I have a a Wrangler X with no options. Pops up in the odometer/temperature window on the dash. Service Manager told me that it is based only on miles - has no actual tie to the oil life or condition. The dealer was supposed to clear it but forgot. Go figure :bounce:

·
Registered
206 Posts
early 2007 models do not have it. but it did become standard during the 2007 model year...not sure exactly when. it's supposed to be duty-cycle based... so if you drive few miles but long engine run-time it will tell you to change the oil sooner than if you ran all highway miles.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Yeah I removed my dinger so it can do whatever it wants, I'll change the oil at my intervals. Stupid manufacture doesn't realize some people can think on their own.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Is there any other codes or tricks for the JK? Like for the alarm, lights door locks? Thanks for posting..
There is alot of different tricks with the locks and alarm. Most of it should be in the manual. Most of it is done with cycling the ign. cylinder and other button pushing. You can turn off the ESP by turning the wheel each way and shifting in an out of 4wd.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
There is alot of different tricks with the locks and alarm. Most of it should be in the manual. Most of it is done with cycling the ign. cylinder and other button pushing. You can turn off the ESP by turning the wheel each way and shifting in an out of 4wd.
Correct me if I am wrong but I dont think this will work on the 07's

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Oil change reminder... hmm, i have never seen that in my jeep. Is that an option or std feature?
Same here. Mine was built in april of 07 and no oil change light. was this on 08's and up?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Mine was built July 07 and I have the oil change reminder light
interesting... Curious as to what the story from Chrysler on this one is :trooper:

·
Registered
421 Posts
interesting... Curious as to what the story from Chrysler on this one is :trooper:
The oil change reminder was a "feature" added in some of the late 07 models, but it is not in the 07 owners manual. I know because I this came on one day for me (I have an 07) but went crazy trying to find out how to turn it off in the manual.

·
Registered
242 Posts
has to standard since I have a a Wrangler X with no options. Pops up in the odometer/temperature window on the dash. Service Manager told me that it is based only on miles - has no actual tie to the oil life or condition. The dealer was supposed to clear it but forgot. Go figure :bounce:
The dealer was wrong...it does take driving conditions into account, calculates oil life, and then decides when the oil is ready for an oil change and causes the reminder to go on at the right time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
...it does take driving conditions into account, calculates oil life, and then decides when the oil is ready for an oil change and causes the reminder to go on at the right time.
I have an '08 Rubicon. The first time the oil change indicator came on at less than 5000km. I thought it seemed a little premature but that it might be a first oil change interval and the next one would be longer. Last week the oil change indicator came on again, this time less than 3800km since the previous oil change. I have a very hard time believing that it needs an oil change. I'm curious to know if others are having similar experience or if there's something peculiar with mine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.