JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taken last week in the mountains of NC near West Jefferson while Fly Fishing for Trout. I didn't catch anything, but this guy did!

This was about 10 feet from me. At first I thought it was a Water Moccasin/Cottonmouth, but I was told they don't live in the mountains this far north.

This is the only picture I have of it.

Water resources Watercourse Nature reserve Water Stream

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
paging Venom...

did you shit your pants and scream like a little girl?

i woulda...

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
Gonna be in Tenn in July - how do you fish for trout WITHOUT fly fishing? Any particular bait/lures that are handy? Hook size? What's a keeper size trout?

We found out that the cabin we are renting is the exact location where they stock the Little River with trout every 2-3 weeks. Supposed to be awesome fishing right out our back door.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
done been said, but I'll back it up..
That there be a Nerodia sipedon
otherwise known as a northern watersnake

not venomous

nice pic :D

edit:

I know that particular species QUITE well...
helped a good friend from switzerland do his herpetology Phd work on the intergrade/hybridization between the northern watersnake- N. sipedon and the banded watersnake N. fasciata.
caught over a thousand specimens of both species from virginia to florida, took biometric data and blood samples for DNA profiling.
If I had a nickel for every time one of those stinky bastards crapped on me, I'd be buying free hemi conversions for everyone.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
This little guy came by to visit the other day:

Have no idea what he is. What say you, resident snake expert? Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. I have better pix of him at home, if needed for ID purposes.

AMP

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
This little guy came by to visit the other day:
Have no idea what he is. What say you, resident snake expert? Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. I have better pix of him at home, if needed for ID purposes.
AMP
Definitely a Garter snake - Thamnophis species, probably Thamnophis elegans, the Wandering Garter

·
Premium Member
15,330 Posts
That's ^^^^ a common eastern garter snake.

EDIT> That's damn Larry is quicker than a cobra.

·
4,005 Posts
There is a guy on our job site that walks around catching snakes all day. I don't mind looking at the pictures but I hate when he brings the snake in!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Definitely a Garter snake - Thamnophis species, probably Thamnophis elegans, the Wandering Garter
That's ^^^^ a common eastern garter snake.
Thanx for the ID. :beer:

He was extremely docile, just chillin on the rolled up garden hose. He was more interested in getting under cover than anything else, once he saw me.

I think he was hanging by the side of the house, checking out the new pool.

With as many kids as were around, I decided he had to go. So, I grabbed my shovel, and chopped off his head ........... :hide:

Just messin with ya ............ Once I determined he wasn't aggressive, and probably not venomous (by the shape of his head), I grabbed a long tree branch, pinned down his head, grabbed him by the tail, and put him in a 5 gallon bucket. Carried him about 100yds into the woods, and set him loose. Haven't seen him again since then.

AMP

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Thanx for the ID. :beer:
With as many kids as were around, I decided he had to go. So, I grabbed my shovel, and chopped off his head ........... :hide:
cant tell you how many thousand times I've heard that used as justification for killing a harmless critter - glad ya didn't!

I actually went on a snake call for the sheriff's office last night that turned out to be a garter snake.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Karn

Get some small tackle spinning outfit and some light spinner baits. Mepps, Panther Martin, rooster tail type things.

Check local regs, some places won't let you use corn on a hook anymore (it is too easy that way). Stop at a Bass Pro on your way and ask the guy there to point you to there small water spinning stuff.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
just so y'all know, I'm always happy to answer any snake questions
feel free to PM me for my cell number if you want to have it close for an ID or whatever.

I've had a lot of pics MMS'd to me for ID

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gonna be in Tenn in July - how do you fish for trout WITHOUT fly fishing? Any particular bait/lures that are handy? Hook size? What's a keeper size trout?

We found out that the cabin we are renting is the exact location where they stock the Little River with trout every 2-3 weeks. Supposed to be awesome fishing right out our back door.
I meant fly fishing for trout as opposed to Bass, Bluegill, etc. :thefinger:

We catch and release so weren't looking for keepers. The streams/rivers we fish aren't stocked - South Fork of New River mainly, Darnell Creek, Garden Creek, Widow Creek and others. We used mainly small dry flies. I'm not into the entymology as much as I should be. I've found that certain flies work and others don't - so I use those that work. Not sure what they're all called.

If you're up in the Todd, NC area, look up River Girl Fishing Company. Best guide I've ever used. Kelley is her name and she knows her fly fishing! Tell her Alex sent you. She's a die-hard Jeeper too!

Thanks for all the replies. Glad it wasn't venemous. Didn't scare me as much as startled me since I was listening for spalshes and motion. My dad actually took the picture, but I saw it and was standing next to him when he took the picture.

·
Registered
410 Posts
just so y'all know, I'm always happy to answer any snake questions
feel free to PM me for my cell number if you want to have it close for an ID or whatever.

I've had a lot of pics MMS'd to me for ID
I assume that for rattlesnakes and potentially venomous species you need a big closeup of the fangs from < 1foot away to identify? :laughing:

KIDDING!

·
Registered
647 Posts
I meant fly fishing for trout as opposed to Bass, Bluegill, etc. :thefinger:

We catch and release so weren't looking for keepers. The streams/rivers we fish aren't stocked - South Fork of New River mainly, Darnell Creek, Garden Creek, Widow Creek and others. We used mainly small dry flies. I'm not into the entymology as much as I should be. I've found that certain flies work and others don't - so I use those that work. Not sure what they're all called.

If you're up in the Todd, NC area, look up River Girl Fishing Company. Best guide I've ever used. Kelley is her name and she knows her fly fishing! Tell her Alex sent you. She's a die-hard Jeeper too!

Thanks for all the replies. Glad it wasn't venemous. Didn't scare me as much as startled me since I was listening for spalshes and motion. My dad actually took the picture, but I saw it and was standing next to him when he took the picture.
i think he was asking how you fish for trout if you do not use a fly rod.

LIke mentioned...get a spinning rod and a handful of spinners in the small or meduim ( not sure where you are fishing) in black, silver and gold varient. Some 4-6lb test low vis line. ( or 10lb if your in a river) A small plastic container of split shots and a pair of pliers to crimp them and remove the hooks. Your set.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i think he was asking how you fish for trout if you do not use a fly rod.

LIke mentioned...get a spinning rod and a handful of spinners in the small or meduim ( not sure where you are fishing) in black, silver and gold varient. Some 4-6lb test low vis line. ( or 10lb if your in a river) A small plastic container of split shots and a pair of pliers to crimp them and remove the hooks. Your set.
I figured. I was just messing. I guess a small spinning reel would work, but a floating line helps especially in fast moving streams. Also, I often use barbless hooks so it's easier to unhook the trout without hurting them and a small net to hold them with so you don't remove as much of their slime. You could also crimp down the barb on regular hooks if you don't want to spend the money on new barbless hooks.

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
Crimp the barb? Fish love the barb! Slime? Myth.

heh - thanks.

I'm gonna eat some trout.

I had no idea how to catch smallmouth (cuz we dont have them down here) a few years back. Well, we went up to Luray Virginia and fished the Shenandoah - and I TORE those smallmouth up. Later on, I found out that the "too small" fish I was throwing back - were keepers. I suppose it's all relative.

Anyways, we fished spinning reels with diving plugs and tore those fuckers up (crawdad plugs as I recall). Ya reckon that'll work on the trout? I'll use earthworms if that'll help ;). I just wanna eat some trout.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts