JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got my dream Jeep, a slightly used 2012. :bounce:

It is a completely loaded Sport but stock. I plan to eventually add better tires, etc... but until I can afford to, what are some things I can do to make my ride look different that cost less than ~$100

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Paint the inside of the top black. 4 cans of Krylon Fusion= about $17 at Walmart. Looks nice and finished the way it should have in the first place. Good luck and congrats on your purchase.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Yep was gonna say Rubicon springs and shocks. I did it and got a nice little lift on the cheap.

I also built my steel front bumper out of steel C channel and a harbor freight winch plate for right around $100..theres a thread about it somewhere on here.

$100 should be enough to turn your factory rear bumper into a water tank and run a pump to it. Pressurized Running Water on Jeep Wrangler JK - YouTube

$100 will get you a spiderwebshade...a must for any Jeep owner that likes to take the top off.

Thats all for now...I'm sure there are plenty more.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
MORE dead pedal if you have an auto trans...did not realize how much I needed it until I got one. Great for long on road trips and for off road descents.

If you are going to wheel it...some basic recovery and safety gear at a minimum...recovery strap, first aid kit, extinguisher, etc...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I'll second the dead pedal. One of my first mods.
Also locking storage like the Tuffy (@$125) or Bestop (@$75) under-seat storage for when you are riding doors off.
As far as looks, ditch the factory mirrors for some doors off mirrors full time. Aside from being able to roll doors off they are easy to move out of the way of trees and rocks when you are on the trail.
Sell the plastic steps for a set of Rubi Rails off craigslist or the classifieds. you could probably find a set for about $100.

You can also turn your stock front bumper into a stubby=free.

Oh and tint the rear glass.

Good luck with her!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow! Thanks guys! So I've already got side rails, but I will definitely look into the upgrade to the Rubicon shocks/suspension, one of my buddies has a 2010 Rubicon that he is going to get lifted so we can work out a deal, I bet!
Dead pedal is a great one, all the bumper ideas ( the rear water bumper is way cool...), and storage of course. All good ideas guys, I'll take any more y'all care to offer.....
Question (maybe for another area?) I want to replace my stock 32" Goodyear Wranglers when they wear out with 33" BFG All-Terrains. If I get the Rubicon lift from my buddy's parts and some wheels spacers, will I have enough clearance for moderate trail riding? Or I suppose I could get a 2" body lift as well if needed....... thoughts?
And thank you..:)

·
Registered
478 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Oh, and some high-temp black paint and spray the muffler . . first thing I did.

>> Tint the front windows, or better yet, remove doors

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Skip the body lift. You can get leveling spacers for cheap if the 4 door rubi springs dont give you enough clearance but they should. Like 1 inch. You might consider throwing them in when you swap the springs anyway.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
38 Posts
Skip the body lift. You can get leveling spacers for cheap if the 4 door rubi springs dont give you enough clearance but they should. Like 1 inch. You might consider throwing them in when you swap the springs anyway.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I'm also doing this in a couple of days. 1" spacers are around $20 each (mine are by Teraflex).

Another good one is a flexible shorty radio antenna, they are around $17 shipped from AntennaX.com.

And then of course there's always decals... not really practical but they are cheap.

I love my Surprise Straps paracord grab handles, you can get a set of 4 for around $65 and they come in all kinds of colors. I've already installed them on my Rubicon and my wife's Sahara.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
If you listen to the radio often skip the antenna X. I have not heard good things on the reception using one. If tree branches are a problem, take it off when you hit the trail.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm also doing this in a couple of days. 1" spacers are around $20 each (mine are by Teraflex).

Another good one is a flexible shorty radio antenna, they are around $17 shipped from AntennaX.com.

And then of course there's always decals... not really practical but they are cheap.

I love my Surprise Straps paracord grab handles, you can get a set of 4 for around $65 and they come in all kinds of colors. I've already installed them on my Rubicon and my wife's Sahara.
I made all 4 of my grab handles, wrapped the steering wheel. grabbar, and door handles and have leftover for keychains for $45 . . with the mil-spec paracord.

·
Registered
478 Posts
If you listen to the radio often skip the antenna X. I have not heard good things on the reception using one. If tree branches are a problem, take it off when you hit the trail.
I did this (not my jeep but same thing) to mine to clear the lights and noticed 0 performance differences . . . hits every now and the in the carwash but im sure the stocker did as well. . . ll it takes is a pair of piers (and a pair of vicegrips helps to steady it)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts