JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4 Door JK exhaust systems w/a muffler relocate would be a simple thing except for the tailpipe to go in after you move the muffler.
For someone with a shop, or a friend with a shop or whatever, seems like a pretty simple thing to get some tails bent up and sell them.
I know I'd love to have one without all the hassle of going into a shop and waiting for them to custom bend me one.
I have a flowmaster 50 and heat shield sitting in the garage right now waiting, just dreading installing it and then having to deal with a shop.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I didn't add a tailpipe to mine. I left it where it ended when I removed my stock muffler and added a flowmaster along the fram rails. it comes over the axle and stops. Perfect. It is out of the way and doesn't get smashed.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
I didn't add a tailpipe to mine. I left it where it ended when I removed my stock muffler and added a flowmaster along the fram rails. it comes over the axle and stops. Perfect. It is out of the way and doesn't get smashed.

What about fumes? Have you been out off road with the top off yet? I would assume the fumes would be a little bit of a problem like that

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about fumes? Have you been out off road with the top off yet? I would assume the fumes would be a little bit of a problem like that
that was my thinking too

·
Registered
774 Posts
Yes I have been off road with the top off. There isn't a problem with fumes.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I was also worried about fumes, but since I have driven it for a few thousand miles, I have had no problems.

·
Registered
541 Posts
If you want someone to offer a prebent mandrel tailpipe, and tailpipe with flowmaster muffler in a kit, I would suggest talking to Rustys (rustysoffroad.com)

They do that sorta thing with the wranglers, cherokee, grand cherokee, and liberty. They would probably do it for the JK as well.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you want someone to offer a prebent mandrel tailpipe, and tailpipe with flowmaster muffler in a kit, I would suggest talking to Rustys (rustysoffroad.com)

They do that sorta thing with the wranglers, cherokee, grand cherokee, and liberty. They would probably do it for the JK as well.
That's what gave me the idea, they offer just tails for everything else.
I was gonna drop them an email but there's no links on their site. I guess I could do the old fashioned thing and CALL them some time :shaking:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I still love my CoolTech. In a small town without a dedicated muffler shop, it's a great way to go. It comes with a stainless tailpipe too.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts

Brett @ 4xfix.com has it out, I've got it installed ;)

·
Vendor
1,316 Posts
Brett @ 4xfix.com has it out, I've got it installed ;)

304 stainless mandrel bent pipe, with exhaust hanger. $159 plus shipping.

Move the evap canister and install the muffler here:

·
Registered
2,615 Posts

Move the evap canister and install the muffler here:

OK so now that everybody has it for the record, those are the pic's of PUDDLZ under carriage except it was before the storage area was modified. :beer:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've built several where the muffler gets tucked into the area ahead of the rear axle, and the tail pipe exit is out of the left rear corner of the bumper.

Yep, there is plenty of room (W/O a body lift!!!) to run the tail pipe up and OVER the top of the frame and punch a hole in the bumper*, and dump the exhaust gases out of the bumper. Works great cause there is no tail pipe hanging below the bumper!

I used the heat insulation that was above the stock muffler, to protect the areas above the tail pipe. I'd post pictures, but my web site wont let me at this time. Email me for pics.

* I recommend NOT doing this with the stock plastic bumper cause it would probably melt. I've done it several times with the M.O.R.E. all steel bumpers and had zero issues or problems.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Our Answer

We remove the stock muffler, cut a 22" section near the charcoal cannister and weld in a round Cherry Bomb. We cut the rear section near the spring and weld in a close to 60 degree exit with a dump near the driver rear tire. I spent all weekend trying to smash it on something and couldn't. We offer this conversion in house for $125.00

·
Registered
712 Posts

Woods - the main reason I haven't gone with a kit like this (I need to replace my muffler/tip due to crushing effect) is that it's even more exposed than the stock one.

On a recent wheeling trip, pretty much _everyone_ with a stock muffler on a JK came back with a flattened tailpipe. If it's sticking out under the bumper, it's going to get sacrificed on the first rock.

I'd love to see something that would put the exhaust end in either the stock position, or even better, a position about 1.5" higher (I'll likely just cut the very end off of mine for now). (Or, I can just dream about coming out of the wheel-well? =)

!c

1 - 20 of 24 Posts