JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out driving around town (I live in a small town of 25,000 pop.) on late Sunday nite and I came upon this deer (Mule Deer doe) lying on the road.

It was badly injured (obviously it had been hit by another vehicle... which was nowhere to be found) with obvious head injuries and a broken leg.. and what ever else.

It was alive but obviously suffering. I went back to my jeep and got my knife (I keep a WWII Lee-Enfield bayonet with a 10" blade, in the jeep) and I figured I would cut the deers throat to put it out of its misery. Never had to do this type of thing before with a knife... with a rifle yes... but a knife no.

Anyways I went to grab the deers head (it was laying on its side) to slit its throat and the deer starts thrashing around... legs kicking, head banging on and off the pavement... so I backed off so as to reduce the stress to the animal.

I then decided not to try it again... so I got on my cell phone and called the cops... Well needless to say by the time they took my name, address, when I was born, the name of my first born child, etc etc... and a the time it took for a squad car to arrive, the deer had died on its own.

I felt a bad about this... I wish I could have done something better to help the deer.. as it was obviously in extreme distress.... I just didn't want to try and hold its head again to cut its throat... and who knows how long that would have taken to kill the deer.

I thought about tryin to stab it through the heart... but that was pretty much a guessing game as to where EXACTLY the heart was and would the shoulder blade have gotten in the way? And if I missed the heart... more pain inflicted upon the deer.

Anyways... I still feel bad that I couldn't help the deer by putting it out of its misery... instead it ended up dying a slow and obviously painful death.

What would you have done?

·
Premium Member
15,330 Posts
.44 to the back of the head.

If no gun, than I wouldn't have attempted anything with a knife. Too much to go wrong.......mainly that you could have been seriously injured by the doe thrashing or with the knife itself.

I had to put-down a coyote before after my ex g/f hit it with her truck so I feel for you in that scenario. I can appreciate the desire to act humanely. Hate to see animals suffer.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
first, you sir, live in a BIG town... 25000 is let's see, 25 times the size of my home town...

anyways, being a former medic/firefighter, i can feel your pain, as i am sure others will chime in and agree, that sometimes there is just nothing you can do. you tried, thats what matters, so :beer: to you for having such a big heart...

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
.44 to the back of the head.
this except in a .40 flavor. and if for some strange reason i dont have gun, run over its head with the jeep? maybe not seems messy and not sure if it would crush the skull

·
Comfortably Numb
12,273 Posts
X2 ^^^. Don't know how you feel about carrying a gun, but it would have come in handy in this situation. Driving over it's head would have been more humane than cutting it's throat IMO. At least you stopped and had good intentions. :D

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
if you are going to slit its throat forget the crap you see in the movies about running the edge across the front. You have to move back a few inches towards the center of the neck, trust in, and then rip out towards the front. Thats the only way to effectively accomplish that task.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I did the same thing to a pronghorn a few years back. A hind quarter was torn off and it was still alive in the middle of the road. I used my .40; I know your in Canada but you did ask Americans what we would do (WWAD).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Back in 2007 I hit a deer(6 point buck) on the highway at about 6am, I lived in a small town at the time (6,000pop) and didnt kill it but severely wounded it. All I had was a small gerber pocket knife and I was in my Army cami's so I didnt want a lot of blood spray. But after trying to break it's neck and the deer trying to get back up I had to do something. So I took out the pocket knife and went from ear to ear, it was very very messy. The deer still kicked and made weird noises but it died in under a minute, and I managed to get my arms covered in blood. When I showed up at drill it looked like I just murdered someone(the nat guard kids were freaked) but I had to do what was right for the deer. I didnt want him suffering any long then he had to.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
In that scenario, a fierce blow to the head with your tire iron should knock it out, and most likely kill it if it is dying already. Sure, it's brutal, but if that were me lying on the ground dying, I would have said "thank God you showed up, now knock me on the fucking head with your tire iron and put me out, please".

The throat cutting thing is never easy, even when you shoot them. Maybe try to stab it in the lungs if you don't want to club it. Either way, it sucks and I don't think you could have done a whole lot more for it to ease the pain without a gun.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
In most cities in Canada you can't run around with a gun...
Unless you have your 4 permits, the gun is locked in a case, etc etc... :shaking:

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
yup,
been in that situation a few times.
I usually pull out the 9mm or a shotgun.

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
Back in 2007 I hit a deer(6 point buck) on the highway at about 6am, I lived in a small town at the time (6,000pop) and didnt kill it but severely wounded it. All I had was a small gerber pocket knife and I was in my Army cami's so I didnt want a lot of blood spray. But after trying to break it's neck and the deer trying to get back up I had to do something. So I took out the pocket knife and went from ear to ear, it was very very messy. The deer still kicked and made weird noises but it died in under a minute, and I managed to get my arms covered in blood. When I showed up at drill it looked like I just murdered someone(the nat guard kids were freaked) but I had to do what was right for the deer. I didnt want him suffering any long then he had to.
That's a little crazy! I would have opted for the tire iron and put it out quick!

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
yeah....cutting a throat is actually a lot of fuckin cutting, despite what you see in movies. A lot of effort and gets messy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yea it was bad, there is a lot of blood pressure behind it. It wasn't like cutting through concrete or anything and it helps to have a sharp knife, you can still feel the cartilage which is gross but once you start you have to go to the end. I had to saw a little but it still went through. I still remember as a small kid my dad having to kill a deer that he shot with a bow by cutting it's throat, he used a fillet knife and it seemed to go pretty quick.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think this is a pretty good discussion on how to kill an injured deer without the use of a gun (I assume most of use don't drive around most of the time with a gun in their Jeep... Texans excluded of course.. ;) )

I didn't think of this at the time... but what about a knife under the jaw right in front of the neck, straight up into the brain. I'm pretty sure a 6" blade would do the job and you wouldn't have to go through the skull to get to the brain... it would be quick and not too messy.

·
Registered
11,063 Posts
I think this is a pretty good discussion on how to kill an injured deer without the use of a gun (I assume most of use don't drive around most of the time with a gun in their Jeep... Texans excluded of course.. ;) )

I didn't think of this at the time... but what about a knife under the jaw right in front of the neck, straight up into the brain. I'm pretty sure a 6" blade would do the job and you wouldn't have to go through the skull to get to the brain... it would be quick and not too messy.
I presume most of you do drive around most of the time with a gun in your Jeep...

This would probably be a more accurate statement for this crowd..

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I presume most of you do drive around most of the time with a gun in your Jeep...

This would probably be a more accurate statement for this crowd..
You could be right...

Just on a side note, what would be the legal ramifications if you discharged a firearm within the city limits, to kill a deer? Would the cops charge you?

·
Registered
821 Posts
First off, you should not approach any injured animal especially by yourself. They are going to act instinctively to protect themselves.

My story: I spine shot a ten point with my bow a few years ago and tried to let him bleed out over night. When I came back the next morning he was still alive and it looked like a war scene (snow was on the ground which made it look even worse), so I called my dad for some help. We tried to shoot him again with the bow since it was not gun season but that didn’t work so I got on the deer’s back and grabbed his horns, which took all of my strength, while Dad slit his throat. The deer then died instantly. I hated that the deer suffered that long but at least we were able to harvest him.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts