JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Just picked it yesterday on my way to work. It's in very good condition. Surface rust here and there, but not holes anywhere. It pulls really nice, but those NDT tires scream going down the road. I have some stock JK wheels with some ATs just like the ones on my teardrop that I can bolt on. I just need to swap hubs (if that's possible with the stock axle). I don't even know what bolt patter the stock hubs are. Anyone know?

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It kind of fell into my lap. Working OT the other night I see someone linked the craigslist ad on my local 4x4 site. Emailed the guy and got a response within minutes. Less than 8 hours later, I picked it up.

When I got there, he was baffled why he was getting so many emails. I told him what it was, and what they normally sell for. He told me he listed it for $225 so was going to stick with it. I didn't argue him!:bounce:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Damn $225 is a deal!

You will need to have spacers special made (that's how I did it) or replace the compleat axle. There are no replacement hubs with different lug patterns available for the stock M-416 trailers.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
Hell that is what I just sold my 416 axle for. I believe that the bolt pattern on that is 4.5 x 5 so you would have to run an adapter to run JK wheels. Take some pics of your rebuild.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Awesome deal! And I thought mine for $275 was good. And the ass end of yours is not hacked off!

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hmmm, maybe a new axle and those long YJ leaves I have in my garage are in my future.

Don't really plan much of a rebuild though. I'll just clean it up and use it as a trail cleanup / maint. trailer.

Cutting a tailgate would be handy, but I just don't think I can bring myself to cutting up one that's still completely solid and unmolested. Besides, it's still not 4 ft wide so I still couldn't really carry a sheet of ply or anything. Then again, I could build some sort of platform...

Truthfully, I don't know what I'll do with it. lol. It was just cool. I was originally planning on building a new trailer from scratch in the shape of a 416, only bigger and with a tailgate, but this one came along for a great deal. Maybe I'll still build one and this will be my trail trailer only. Or maybe I'll just fill it with water and it'll be a hillbilly pool...

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Hell that is what I just sold my 416 axle for. I believe that the bolt pattern on that is 4.5 x 5 so you would have to run an adapter to run JK wheels. Take some pics of your rebuild.
Close....

M416 is 5 on 5.5, this was due to it's service time in relation to the Jeep still being used as a service vehicle in the military (60's & 70's) and the two having interchangeable tires. Think of it as the CJ5 & 7's and their hub pattern...:D

Adapters are a viable solution, just make sure they are not the beveled hub type like Spidertrax.

And to OZ, great find for $225....:beer::beer:

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lug-centric adapters can be picked up cheap enough. Then again, JK wheels wouldn't look as good. Some flat OD would help, but the stockers look cool.

Realistically, I won't likely do much of anything for a little while besides fix the hitch coupler. In the closer photo, you can see a previous owner welded a section of square tube and a ball couple onto the lunnette. I want to cut it off and grind the lunette back to a usable state. Then unbolt it and fab up some sort of bolt on reciever so I can use either my 3 axis coupler or a ball coupler like I have set up on my teardrop.

·
JKO Dickhead
3,522 Posts
Sweet find.... did they just weld on a receiver for the hitch ?? lol

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Sweet, sure would like to have one.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Lug-centric adapters can be picked up cheap enough. Then again, JK wheels wouldn't look as good. Some flat OD would help, but the stockers look cool.
I know a lot of people like the classic look, but I both like the look of JK wheels and the interchangeability of running the same wheels on both. Even now, my current trailer has JK wheels on it...saves on carrying two spares.

Realistically, I won't likely do much of anything for a little while besides fix the hitch coupler. In the closer photo, you can see a previous owner welded a section of square tube and a ball couple onto the lunnette. I want to cut it off and grind the lunette back to a usable state. Then unbolt it and fab up some sort of bolt on reciever so I can use either my 3 axis coupler or a ball coupler like I have set up on my teardrop.
That's ultimately what I did for WranglerV8 right before I sold him my M416 as he didn't have a MaxCoupler.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Killer deal man!
hard to beat a 416 for a utility/ general purpose jeep trailer
my 416 is my most used trailer, it pulls so great behind the jeep and still fits a lot of crap.

why mess with the hitch on it tho?
just clean up the lunette and get a pintle draw bar for the jeep
simple, flexible and bulletproof design that works great

I essentially restored mine back to like it was used in service except a modded JK tire carrier on the front for the spare, roll on bedlined tub and a springover so it matched the jeep height a little better.
Also made a metal frame that sits on top with a canvas cover so it looks like a regular lashed on cover but the whole thing tilts/lifts off like a lid.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Killer deal man!
hard to beat a 416 for a utility/ general purpose jeep trailer
my 416 is my most used trailer, it pulls so great behind the jeep and still fits a lot of crap.

why mess with the hitch on it tho?
just clean up the lunette and get a pintle draw bar for the jeep
simple, flexible and bulletproof design that works great

I essentially restored mine back to like it was used in service except a modded JK tire carrier on the front for the spare, roll on bedlined tub and a springover so it matched the jeep height a little better.
Also made a metal frame that sits on top with a canvas cover so it looks like a regular lashed on cover but the whole thing tilts/lifts off like a lid.
I've never pulled a 416 with the pintle hitch, but I've pulled large dump trailers with them and they were loud. I've heard the 416 was just as bad or worse. Seeing as it will be pulled offroad quite a bit, and seeing as I already own a Max-Coupler, I don't see a reason not fab up a reciever. I also already have a 2 inch ball coupler made for a reciever. I use them both with my teardrop camper so this would just make for interchangeability. I do want to make the receiver a bolt on deal though so I can go back to the lunette. I'll have to see if it's possible.

Here is a few photos of the ghetto hitch setup...

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Wow. Yeah grind that shit off.
But if that's the only ghettofication that trailer has then you got an even better deal.
If you already have one of them gold plated max couplers then may as well use it.
I just use the plain old lunette on my 416 and G518.
I dont notice any noise. But I may just be tuning it out. Either way I'm fine with it :)

That was another bonus to doing the springover on mine, it bumped the hitch height up to about the same as the 518.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow. Yeah grind that shit off.
But if that's the only ghettofication that trailer has then you got an even better deal.
If you already have one of them gold plated max couplers then may as well use it.
I just use the plain old lunette on my 416 and G518.
I dont notice any noise. But I may just be tuning it out. Either way I'm fine with it :)

That was another bonus to doing the springover on mine, it bumped the hitch height up to about the same as the 518.
It's a real solid trailer. Surface rust, but that's about it. No cuts or mods to be found besides the hitch, and taillights. It's got some more modern military trailer lights, but they look good.

The Max-Coupler is great, but polishing the gold is a bit of a pain.:thefinger:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts