JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I got my JK Rubicon about a week ago and I have a big problem with it. The key and the Remote are one in the same part. I kayak I hike and fall in rivers all with my key in my pocket. The dealer tells me there is no way around this. Please someone tell me this isn't true. They've built and outdoor oriented vehicle that you cant get the key wet or its tow truck time. I would expect this of a typical grocery getter. It there a solution?

·
Registered
792 Posts
you can get an after market key. No remote, but that's not what you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
What about putting your key in one of those zip lock bags and then sticking it in your pocket?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Couldn't they cut you a key that they use for the Jk's without the remote? I dont have power locks since I have the half doors so I just have a regular none remote key with the chip in it.

or you could probably get a key cut at a locksmith that will unlock the doors just not let you start the engine. then you could put your original key in the glove box.

·
Registered
712 Posts
When out on my 'yak, I just put my keys, wallet, etc. in a waterproof bag =)

I never trust anything to the water! (And this is the 5th vehicle I've had where you can't get the key soaked. Do they still make ones w/o chipped keys?)

!c

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
When I go out in the canoe I just put it in a plastic bag also.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Look into a small dry box/bag, I don't trust ziplocks. I'm pretty sure pelican makes a wallet size dry box that would fit in a pack or kayak very easily.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
May want to consider this as an option...the Pelican case is an excellent idea, but it too can be lost overboard...this, I believe, is the best alternative....

View attachment 1304

·
Registered
792 Posts
Not on purpose, but I just washed my key (and ran it through the dryer).

Not recommended, but still works.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Of course, there's always the $2 Magellan (as in the clothing company) waterproof pocket insert they sell at Academy. It's big enough to hold your key, has a plastic clip to keep it from floating away, and cheap enough to buy a dozen so losing them in the laundry isn't a problem. I used them for years wade fishing to hold my money, fishing license, and truck key.

!c

1 - 13 of 13 Posts