JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was thumbing through our local paper and what do I see. A damn tree hugger trying to get more of our Arizona playgrounds closed.

Manage off-road vehicles to protect forests for everyone

People concerned about the impact of off-road vehicles in Arizona’s national forests can now do something about it. Each national forest in Arizona is developing a “travel management plan” to determine which roads, trails and areas will be open to motorized vehicles and crosscountry travel. This public planning process comes at a time when critical values are threatened by off-roaders, and your participation is encouraged.

Off-road vehicles are a well-documented cause of habitat fragmentation and wildlife displacement. They reduce hunt quality and decrease hunter success on public lands. Escalating, unmanaged offroad vehicle use is damaging Arizona’s national forests and the ecosystem services they provide. Off-road vehicles pollute the air we breathe; damage rivers, streams, meadows, and wildlife habitat; and their noise spoils quiet recreation like hiking, camping, bird watching and hunting. They also erode soil and damage watersheds that provide clean drinking water.

In 2005, the Forest Service began implementing the Travel Management Rule, which requires federal land managers to designate a system of roads and areas where people can drive motorized vehicles and is based on an executive order signed by a Republican president more than 30 years ago. Arizona’s national forests are currently in the midst of making these designations.

Quiet, nonmotorized recreation on Forest Service lands in Arizona contributes approximately $362.6 million to local economies in Arizona while motorized recreation contributes significantly less. Quiet recreationists outnumber off-road vehicle enthusiasts 10 to 1 on most Forest Service lands. In these lean economic times, it makes sense to encourage quiet recreation to draw the largest number of people and dollars to our state. Risking the robust revenues from the largest number of forest users is foolish in today’s lean economy.

Some claim that those working to protect our public lands from the damage offroad vehicles cause are elitist (“Federal land closures trample social fabric,” Perspective, Nov. 8). However, a pair of hiking boots can be purchased for less than $50 while an off-road vehicle can cost tens of thousands of dollars, most of that money leaving the state. Repairing watersheds destroyed by irresponsible offroad driving can cost our communities countless millions of dollars. Losing an endangered species when habitat is lost is a cost we should not ask our children to bear.

The Tonto National Forest was created in 1905 primarily to protect the Salt and Verde River watersheds, which provide clean water to millions of people in Arizona. Making responsible decisions about where people can drive off-road vehicles and which areas must be protected will protect our way of life in Arizona, allowing all of us access to a quiet forest experience. Families will be able to leave the noise and traffic of the city for a forest that is peaceful, relaxing, and rejuvenates the spirit. Camping will still be allowed throughout the forest, and more funds will be available to maintain roads that are critical to accessing the forest.

We all have a right to access our public land, but nobody has a right to destroy it. Those who enjoy riding off-road vehicles have a right to do so, but only in areas and in ways that don’t destroy land, water, wildlife habitat and others’ recreational opportunities.

You have an obligation as an American to speak out on behalf of our public lands. You can do so by contacting the U.S. Forest Service and finding out how to get involved in travel management planning for your favorite Arizona national forest. You can get more information on the Center for Biological Diversity’s Web site http:// www.biologicaldiversity.org/programs/ public_lands/off-road_vehicles/travelmanagement_planning/index.html.

Cyndi Tuell is a Southwest Conservation Advocate

for the Tucson-based Center for Biological Diversity.

Additional information about the Tonto National

Forest proposed travel management plan can be

found at http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/travelmgt/

index.shtml.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I'm a tree hugger... but not the kind you hate. They just don't know what they are talking about. I just hope no one listens to them. They are just ignorant.

This is me hugging the tree!

Yes!!!! After hugging the tree all day I get hungry.

I also hug the trees with my Pro Comp tree strap when I need to winch!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
What a load of malarky...I don't like them either...:pissed:

·
Registered
145 Posts
saw-wheeeet. :)

Closures, restrictions, unnecessary selfish lobbying by anti-access zealots are WHY you support folks like BlueRibbon Coalition, United 4WDa, your state assocation, whatever....those folks fighting FOR you so these wacko's don't get their way all the time.

We NEED AN ARMY.

Del

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Real bowhunters use Recurves......and don't use peep-sights and releases. :thefinger:

Wrong- Real bowhunter don't give a flip what anyone thinks about their equipment or tell someone else what they should use! ;):beer:

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
If you put down feed corn, you're no hunter. Just a guy out for target practice. Gun, bow, doesn't matter.

And as far as tree huggers go, I find that more of them pollute than Mtn Bikers, Jeepers etc... Dumping Power and Granola bar wrappers every where and ****. Bunch of fecking hypocrites!

·
Heat'n and a beat'n...
3,954 Posts
Wrong, real hunters show up in the woods naked and take down game with their bare hands and teeth.

I hate tree huggers too.

corey d

·
Registered
395 Posts
If everyone would be responsible and tread lightly and be responsible on the trails as well as on the roads we wouldn't have the problem of trail and park closures.
Don't kid yourself. Do you really think groups like the Sierra Club would really back off if everyone followed the 'Tread Lightly!' campaign to the letter? Not a chance!! They will use whatever excuse they can to close land, whether that excuse is real or fabricated (like planted fur samples). Their goal is to shut down the land to you, not to get you to Tread Lightly.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Awesome bow pics!

·
Registered
87 Posts
stupid tree hugger video

click the link. youtube video of these idiots. i would hate to see what they do after dark in the forest with all those trees around all innocent and like. watch the vid and you'll see.

YouTube - Activist Fail

·
Registered
89 Posts
I too hate tree huggers, if the name isn't obvious. The problem is that most of these vocal people are not environmentalists they only believe in preservation. The only "old growth" that hasn't been logged already are the giant sequoias. I work for the Forest Service and I always believed that instead of letting something die, that we use it! Makes sense to me. And to all those enviro's out there, a young tree produces 30% more 02 than a mature tree. So if you like to breath, go hug a logger!!!

The good and bad thing about Forest Service comments, is that anyone can comment during that period. Everyone who is for offroad use should be sending in emails and/or letters expressing what we do and how we help protect the FS lands. Most of us volunteer, rebuild trails to stop erosion, pick up trash, etc. Even if you live in Alaska, you have just as much say about AZ. So please, comment

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Jesus H Christ. I have not laughed that hard in a very long time
Wish I could laugh. The idiots just piss me off! Maybe more than some of the idiots I encounter on the daily drive to work.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts