JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Jeep at 35-40 MPH shakes no matter what. at other speeds if i hit a small bump it will do the same thing. This is a terrible ride. I talked to a friend about it and he said it’s called the death wobble and it happens to a lot of Jeeps...WTF, why is this normal?

I have raised my truck, lowered my cars and never had a ride this shitty.

I bought my JEEP raised and wish i took it on a longer test drive... Never owned a JEEP before and i would not recommend one to a friend.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My Jeep at 35-40 MPH shakes no matter what. at other speeds if i hit a small bump it will do the same thing. This is a terrible ride. I talked to a friend about it and he said it’s called the death wobble and it happens to a lot of Jeeps...WTF, why is this normal?

I bought my JEEP raised and wish i took it on a longer test drive... Never owned a JEEP before and i would not recommend one to a friend.
Is this some kind of sick joke?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this some kind of sick joke?
no, i am serious. How is this death wobble a normal thing for Jeeps only. And to fix it it could be 1 of 20 things...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like you have a shimmy and not Death Wobble...
what is a shimmy? also if i hit the brakes some i can get control of it a little. i have to do this everyday, if i am not on the highway it sucks driving it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Are you lifted on your stock skinny tires? If so your stability is gone, I had my lifted jeep on my stock tires and I literally almost had death wobble on every bump I hit. Check your trackbar first that usually come loose, just search the forum on the search bar up top and youll find what to do on yrou own. Worst comes to worst I heard prius are nice smooth riding vehicles.:thefinger:

-Dan

·
Registered
218 Posts

You bought a Jeep that someone else lifted with unknown workmanship and inherited their problems. I wouldn't blame the Jeep brand for that. Stock the vehicle is great, and guys who add parts knowing what they are getting into also say it is great. Your real gripe is with the prior owner and their mechanic.

·
Registered
393 Posts
It depends on what the lift kit had with it, how high it's lifted, and what other components are necessary for the new ride height.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you lifted on your stock skinny tires? If so your stability is gone, I had my lifted jeep on my stock tires and I literally almost had death wobble on every bump I hit. Check your traction bar first that usually come loose, just search the forum on the search bar up top and youll find what to do on yrou own. Worst comes to worst I heard prius are nice smooth riding vehicles.:thefinger:

-Dan
haha.. prius joke. Anyway this Jeep is actually the smallest engine vehicle i have ever owned besides motorcycles. I drive trucks and muscle cars. I got a Jeep to try something different, V6 is new to me.

back to the problem, no i have 37" tires, not skinny tires. So the traction bar can come lose? how is that?... ill do a search

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
That's unfortunately something that can happen when you buy an already lifted rig. You don't know the quality of work that was done. Definitely sounds like more of a shimmy than death wobble. Death wobble would make your jeep undriveable. Check Planman's thread for diagnosing and run through the list. Check all your suspension components to make sure they're all torqued correctly. Check trackbar mounting to see if the holes have wallowed out at all. Also check your ball joints. Are the tires balanced? I know it's frustrating, but if you go through the list you'll be able to find your source of the problem and be able to enjoy your jeep once again. Btw, jeeps are NOT the only vehicles that can experience death wobble. Best of luck finding the culprit to your problem. :beer:

Sent from my cardboard box using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
My Jeep at 35-40 MPH shakes no matter what....
When you test drove it, did you not get up to 35-40? If you did, are you saying it didn't do this when you test drove it, but is doing it now? Did you change anything after you bought it if it didn't do this on your test drive?

There are a lot of things to check, but start with the basics and work up from there - tire pressure, all suspension components torqued properly, etc.

Good luck tracking it down.

·
Registered
436 Posts
no, i am serious. How is this death wobble a normal thing for Jeeps only. And to fix it it could be 1 of 20 things...
Several of us have lifted and modified our Jeeps with no issue of death wobble or shimmy. Sorry whoever sold it to you did a shitty job of resolving it. If it was a dealer, I'd be taking it back. If not, take some time to learn to diagnose the issue and fix it.

This thread should give you every tool you need to resolve it. If you narrow it down and has a specific question post it up and we'll help out!!!

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30723

Also - work on getting it resolved soon. Death wobble can and will damage parts that aren't cheap.

·
Breaker of nice things
2,477 Posts
Since you apparently know how to turn a wrench on your own vehicles (from the statement about past lifting/lowering experience), here's what you're going to do.

1. Make sure that your tires are balanced. Have them road-force balanced if necessary.
2. Go through this checklist on Death Wobble. It explains what it is, what it isn't, and what steps need to be taken into account to fix anything and everything.
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30723

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You bought a Jeep that someone else lifted with unknown workmanship and inherited their problems. I wouldn't blame the Jeep brand for that. Stock the vehicle is great, and guys who add parts knowing what they are getting into also say it is great. Your real gripe is with the prior owner and their mechanic.
i have lifted or lowed many vehicles, doing research i find out this is a known issue for Jeep and not other vehicles. So i blame Jeep, makes sense to me.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The death wobble thread will be useful, even though your not experiencing DW. If I were you I'd have all the meats balanced, re-tourqe all suspension bolts (esp. trac bar) and replace your ball joints. Bet ya it'll ride like a dream after that.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shimmy VS. Death Wobble

Difference?

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
sorry you feel so poorly about your jeep..... this is the most amazing purchase i have ever made!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Shimmy VS. Death Wobble

Difference?
Shimmy is a shake, DW is full on wheels bouncing off the pavement, I have to come to a complete stop to regain control of the vehicle. Remove the track bar on the frame side and check to see if the mounting location has been ovaled out. Also, check you ball joints.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts