JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sahara
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, looking to upgrade my Sahara with new rubbers and maybe new wheels, but here is the thing, I know I want a minimum of 285/70r17 or r18 if I keep my stock wheels,
But there are so many to look at, let’s start with the wheels, to me a rim is a rim. What do I need to know before shopping for wheels?

Then there are so many types of tires, I am currently looking at nitto trail grapplers, waiting on a quote for the tires and the shipping, what are your thoughts on those?

·
Registered
210 Posts
For good handling, don't go crazy with the backspacing. I currently run 5" backspace on a 17x9" wheel with 35x12.5 tyre, and it's enough not to rub. Too small of a backspacing will push the wheel/tire unnecessarily far outwards, makig driving squiggly and putting strain on bearings and joints.

Wheel weight is one consideration, not so much when offroading at slow speed, but on poor roads a hevier wheel will not work as good as a lighter one. Then again too light usually means not as strong, except if the wheels are forged. In that case they will also be stupix expensive.

The lightest and best offroad combo is 17"wheels and tires of your choice. I run BFG T/A KO2's which are pretty light.

·
Registered
2009 rubicon 2dr
27 Posts
BFGs are not the cheapest tyres out there. However I am a BFG fan I have used and use BFGs fox over the road heavy hauling, off road hauling and of course Wheeling when others where having blow out issues with there overseas junk. Those of us in the BFG camp , where just that hangin’ out watching others change tyres. BFG is a much better constructed tyre. Sidewall’s are second to none.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Too stiff, heavier, cost more. They really don't hook up well off road.
I only ask because I have E rated. a year ago, the E rated were cheaper than the other versions and they were available. Availability was a big factor for me. I was originally looking for a 315 or 35 and the 285-75 was the only thing around and then BFG put these on Sale. For my use and where Ive gone of roading they have been great, but getting the PSI right for daily driving took a bit of trial and error. Would I do the E rated again, probably not but I am still happy with these

·
Premium Member
2,181 Posts
You run E rated tires on a light duty pickup used for towing like a F350/3500 where you want to minimize sidewall flex while supporting large loads. On a JK that has less towing capacity than a Subaru they’re largely pointless.

With that being said, you probably will never know or feel the difference while driving to work. Just get what you can get. You’ll figure out what you like / dislike about them when you buy your next set.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts