JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how does the programmer work? Plup it in, program, unplug? or does it have to stay plugged in?

· Registered
92 Posts
plug it in, answer a few yes and no questions, wait about 20 minutes, unplug. drive away with noticeable but not worth $380.00 gains. but it it useful for updating the speedo and gear ratio. i would've felt better paying around $150.00 for it. it's almost a necessity for the corrections after tires and gears. i did notice more power on the 93 octane setting. i figure it costs me about $15.00 more a month to use the higher octane setting. for no further than i have to drive to works it's worth it for me. it seems to shift better as well.

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool...or not! :D

So i guess the programmer can be used on several vehicles *hint*

· Registered
92 Posts
as much as i would love to whore out the thing, it only recognizes one vin # at a time. i could put mine back to stock settings and then you could update yours but then i couldn't use it on mine again. since i've already bit the bullet and bought it, it's worth me keeping. overall i just don't think it should cost $380.00. is it worth it? in the long run, yeah. it just hurts a little on the price. my other main justification for it is the fact that does read trouble/engine light codes. that'll help down the road for doing my own maintenence/repairs.

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
as much as i would love to whore out the thing, it only recognizes one vin # at a time. i could put mine back to stock settings and then you could update yours but then i couldn't use it on mine again. since i've already bit the bullet and bought it, it's worth me keeping. overall i just don't think it should cost $380.00. is it worth it? in the long run, yeah. it just hurts a little on the price. my other main justification for it is the fact that does read trouble/engine light codes. that'll help down the road for doing my own maintenence/repairs.
i see, it's locked to the vin #....that sucks :D

· Registered
1,164 Posts
There is a different version of that same one that only does the speedo calibration and code reading, not the power programming. It's closer to the $200 mark instead of $400, and if you choose to in the future you can upgrade it over the internet to the Max Power version.

The speedometer calibration (via gear ratio and tire size) is what alters your shift points, so if the power program isn't worth the $$ to you, then you can just get what you need in the lower-priced unit.

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info! I have a manual transmission and if power really isn't noticeable it wouldn't be worth it to get the full deal. i really only need the speedo corrected.

· Premium Member
8,890 Posts
thanks for the info! I have a manual transmission and if power really isn't noticeable it wouldn't be worth it to get the full deal. i really only need the speedo corrected.
The dealeship can get it pretty close but not dead on. Mine is off by about 4 mph. No big deal to me. I just keep it a few miles under the speed limit. Plus I have a K-40 to ward off potential traffic stops. I don't use it in town, but always run w/ it on the hwy. BTW- I've also got a 6 speed.

· Registered
303 Posts
There is a different version of that same one that only does the speedo calibration and code reading, not the power programming. It's closer to the $200 mark instead of $400, and if you choose to in the future you can upgrade it over the internet to the Max Power version.

The speedometer calibration (via gear ratio and tire size) is what alters your shift points, so if the power program isn't worth the $$ to you, then you can just get what you need in the lower-priced unit.

hmmm... so i wonder if the basic programmer upgrade can be hacked...

· Registered
414 Posts
Other Options?

hmmm... so i wonder if the basic programmer upgrade can be hacked...
I was wondering the same thing :devil:

Also.....does this or any other programmer out their have options to take into account other after market modifications such as: air intake, exhaust, performance cam, etc...etc? I'm guessing no, but I'm not sure if it's b/c the JK is still too new or b/c of some other reason I'm not aware of.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.