JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Hypertech MaxEnergy programmer does so much more than I fully understand. What are some of your customized tunes for improved performance and/or MPG? In particular, what have you set the following to and what are your results: Assuming a 2007-2010 JK with the 3.8L engine of course.

Transmission shift points + (rev limiter adjustment)
Transmission shift firmness
Throttle Response
Idle RPM

Also which pre-programed tune has given you the best results?
87 octane
93 octane.

Have you tried setting the 93 octane but used 87 octane fuel and vise versa. What were your results?

· Registered
11,420 Posts
Anyone??? :(
Without running something like a supercharger, "custom" tunes on an N/A are going to be exceptionally scarce, short of RIPPs tune for their headers.

The potential gains over what tunes are already readily available is going to be pretty negligible. In my opinion. If we had a diesel and could play with boost, that might be a different story. However a small displacement minivan engine can only do so much with electronics.

Using a higher octane tune with lesser octane fuel is only going to promote preignition. As mentioned, playing with electronics on an N/A gas engine is only going to get you so far..the tuner is playing with spark timing more than anything else with a higher octane tune. If the octane isn't there, it'll detonate, it'll recognize that and back the timing back out...

· Registered
202 Posts
the tuner is playing with spark timing more than anything else with a higher octane tune. If the octane isn't there, it'll detonate, it'll recognize that and back the timing back out...
This!

If you program it for high octane you better be running high octane or you will likely get worse mileage and power then stock.

I run the basic low octane tune but have a manual so no shift points to play with.

Throttle response is +5% below 10mph, +5% below 40mph and 0% above 40mph.
Left idle, Speed and Rev limiters all stock.

I've not tried the 93 octane tune, gas is expensive enough as it it. :suicide:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.