JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have seen or have followed the Hypertech questions and issues elsewhere..... I emailed the Tech Department of Hypertech in order to pose my questions to the guys that make and maintain the equipment. Here ya go:

Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 10:09 PM
To: techsupport
Subject: Max Energy for JK Wrangler

I have been reading several posts on bulletin boards in reference to the Max Energy programmer for the '07-up Jeep Wrangler. My question concerns the ability to adjust the transmission shift points and the torque converter lockup on the auto transmission. Can anyone let me know if there is even the chance that this will become an update for the programmer? I am currently withholding my purchase due to cost/value. I have no need or intention of running premium fuel, so that ability is not a deciding factor. If there is no chance of the transmission programming, then I may opt for a Jet Chip for my needs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We may eventually add the shift point and shift pressure adjustments but not for sure when or IF. The TC lockup we will not offer. Thanks

Jim

That's the response folks. MAY eventually add the shift points and pressure adjustment.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Interesting. But the Jet Chip doesn't program for oversize tires and gears. Thats VERY important to me.

A

·
0 Posts
Here’s a dumb question. Can I share one of these with a friend or are they setup for a single vehicle only? All I really want is to program for gears and tires and the cost for any of these units is not worth it to me. Besides, mine reads so low it’s making the JK devalue less given the low mileage on it ;)

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Here’s a dumb question. Can I share one of these with a friend or are they setup for a single vehicle only?
If it's like all the other programmers (and I bet it is) then it will lock itself to whichever vehicle it programs, just to prevent that kind of thing.

Every other programmer I've messed with locks itself to a specific vehicle's VIN# in the computer and can't be used on another vehicle until its tune is uninstalled from the vehicle, at which time they 'unlock' themselves and can be used to program another vehicle with a different VIN#.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
If it's like all the other programmers (and I bet it is) then it will lock itself to whichever vehicle it programs, just to prevent that kind of thing.

Every other programmer I've messed with locks itself to a specific vehicle's VIN# in the computer and can't be used on another vehicle until its tune is uninstalled from the vehicle, at which time they 'unlock' themselves and can be used to program another vehicle with a different VIN#.
X2 They are nearly always VIN locked, otherwise they wouldn't sell many.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I don't get it............the thread started by Quadratec in the Prefered Vendors portion of the forum on 3/7/08 takes you to this link:

www.quadratec.com/products/77614_5001.htm

This page says that the Max Energy Programmer will allow adjustment of shift points and firmness. The ONLY reason I would pony up this kind of money is if it will fix (or at least improve) my garbage tranny. If you can't make these adjustments then I, for one, am not interested.

This sucks..........I got all excited when I read Quadratec's description. :pissed:

·
Registered
900 Posts
I'll have one in my hands in a day or two and will let you know what it can and cannot do.
Thanks Phil. I'd buy this programmer tomorrow if I thought that it would help with the slushbox issues. The shift points in this thing are hosed! :(:(:( Look forward to your conclusions.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've got one and it will let you choose
1) stock,regular,premium for the engine tuneing-reg/prem refers to gas octane levels
2) tire size
3) gear ratio
4) fan-on temp. stock, 180, 195

I can't remember for sure but I don't think it has rev limiter option and it definately doesn't have shift points or shift firmness adjustments. It did seem to help the the low end a little bit on reg tune and was quite noticeable on prem tune but I'm not buying premium gas all the time so I set it back to regular. The gear/tire setting have the speedo almost perfect. It did help the shifting somewhat because it's getting correct readings but it only got it back to the half as condition it came from the factory in. LOL It is easily upgradeable over the internet so if they do come out with an update to adjust shifting it'll be really easy to take care of. It does lock itself to the vin# of the vehicle. All in all it was an ok purchase. If your just looking to get the gear/tires squared away buy the procomp/max energy that just does those functions and you can still buy the upgrade and install it over the internet in the future if they add more funtions that you need/want. Hope my two and a half cents helped.

·
Registered
176 Posts
i am holding off untill hp tuner or a sim. program a hate the hand helds

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the people at Quadratec that enter the information pretty much quote what the manufacturer literature states. i've run into this before and had to return something to them.

I'll let Jim know at Quadratec. don't know what they can or cant do with it for now. Hell, I just did a search 4 days ago on their site for the Max Energy and the only one they listed was for the Dodge Ram. :confused:

I'll forward the info to Quad.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Here’s a dumb question. Can I share one of these with a friend or are they setup for a single vehicle only?
The installation video claims you can use it on more than one Jeep, BUT you must return the first Jeep to stock settings first. So ya really can't share it.
Since installing mine I have noticed an improvement in low end torque and overall performance. It seems to have changed shift points do to the correction of the speedo, gearing and tire size.
The OD on the Auto is much more useable also, but still not 100%.
It's about what I expected, but certianly not a fix for all the short comings of the JK.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Some of this may be a repeat of what others have said, but here's my thoughts on it.

Installing the Hypertech Max Energy programming is easy, but allow yourself at least 30 minutes to complete it, as it takes a while to download/upload the programming.

It allows you to set the following options:

Fuel: Stock - Regular - Premium
Tire Size: 22.5" - 42"
Axle Ratio 2.82 - 5.13
Cooling: Stock - 180°F - 195°F

Not many options, and no shift points or firmness. I went with the Regular fuel program, adjusted for gears/tires, and left the cooling stock.

Hypertech seem to have done their work on the programming, as I was impressed with the results. Not a night and day difference, but you can most definitely feel an improvement.

The first thing I noticed when I turned the key is that the engine appears to be running smoother, which I didn't expect. Acceleration from standing start is hardly sports car performance, but it is improved. The shift points are much better, more than I would expect than just adjusting for tires/gears, and I'm pretty sure the shift pressure is firmer also.

Getting up to highway cruising speeds is a much smoother and quicker affair. Cruising at highway speeds requires far less throttle opening, and the throttle is at light tip in, whereas before I had to keep the pedal pretty mashed down to maintain cruising speed. Accelerating at overtaking speeds is much smoother and more easily accomplished now.

A little early to tell where mpg will be, but in the first 100 miles or so, I'm looking at about a 1 mpg improvement around town. After I've ran a few tank fulls of gas and calculated the mpg I'll know for sure what, if any, improvements there are more accurately.

The speedometer is now within 1% accurate.

Overall, I like it and to me it's worth it. Like I said, not a night and day difference, but enough of an overall improvement to make me feel it was worth doing.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Okay so I was actually looking into getting a programmer for my 08 to help out with the regearing issue and the whole bigger tire issue. Now i have read in this forum that they will help change shift points. I have a manual so wouldnt that be a dumb move for me to make since I can do all the shift points???? Im no mechanic and im just learning the basics but am I right or wrong?

Also what would be the best choice if i do have a manual. I just really want to get the speedo fixed and try to get back some MPG AND HP.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Some of this may be a repeat of what others have said, but here's my thoughts on it.

Installing the Hypertech Max Energy programming is easy, but allow yourself at least 30 minutes to complete it, as it takes a while to download/upload the programming.

It allows you to set the following options:

Fuel: Stock - Regular - Premium
Tire Size: 22.5" - 42"
Axle Ratio 2.82 - 5.13
Cooling: Stock - 180°F - 195°F

Not many options, and no shift points or firmness. I went with the Regular fuel program, adjusted for gears/tires, and left the cooling stock.

Hypertech seem to have done their work on the programming, as I was impressed with the results. Not a night and day difference, but you can most definitely feel an improvement.

The first thing I noticed when I turned the key is that the engine appears to be running smoother, which I didn't expect. Acceleration from standing start is hardly sports car performance, but it is improved. The shift points are much better, more than I would expect than just adjusting for tires/gears, and I'm pretty sure the shift pressure is firmer also.

Getting up to highway cruising speeds is a much smoother and quicker affair. Cruising at highway speeds requires far less throttle opening, and the throttle is at light tip in, whereas before I had to keep the pedal pretty mashed down to maintain cruising speed. Accelerating at overtaking speeds is much smoother and more easily accomplished now.

A little early to tell where mpg will be, but in the first 100 miles or so, I'm looking at about a 1 mpg improvement around town. After I've ran a few tank fulls of gas and calculated the mpg I'll know for sure what, if any, improvements there are more accurately.

The speedometer is now within 1% accurate.

Overall, I like it and to me it's worth it. Like I said, not a night and day difference, but enough of an overall improvement to make me feel it was worth doing.
Great write-up "PhilD".....you said the magic words of better Shift Points, I'll definitely be looking into this programmer. Another + was cruising on the highway you didn't have to have the skinny pedal to the "Floor".

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay so I was actually looking into getting a programmer for my 08 to help out with the regearing issue and the whole bigger tire issue. Now i have read in this forum that they will help change shift points. I have a manual so wouldnt that be a dumb move for me to make since I can do all the shift points???? Im no mechanic and im just learning the basics but am I right or wrong?

Also what would be the best choice if i do have a manual. I just really want to get the speedo fixed and try to get back some MPG AND HP.
Warlock...
right now, there is no support for the auto tranny shift point adjustment. while not a waste of money, the advantage is that you are getting two options for programming. you can select perf of r 89 octane or perf for 91 octane fuels.... really a two for one deal. add the ability to adjust the radiator fan, gearing, tires and such, there are added features.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts