JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If Jeep came out with a hybrid or electric Wrangler would you buy one? I see all of these "green" cars coming out and they all look the same, Ugly. I mean I doubt Jeep would ever consider coming out with either but it just had me thinking. There is plenty of room to store lithium batteries under the Jeep. Obviously you wouldn't want to take it off road though.

*Please do not turn this into another "I wish I had a diesel" thread* Yes we all wish Jeep offered a diesel, But they don't. I just want to know what people think of a hybrid wrangler.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
I wouldn't own a Jeep if I couldn't off-road it. And I'm not impressed with gas-hybrids. Gimmah a diesel!

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
too bad diesel is 50 cents more per gallon at the moment.
And no I wouldn't buy a hybrid wrangler, to much to break.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
too bad diesel is 50 cents more per gallon at the moment.
And no I wouldn't buy a hybrid wrangler, to much to break.
It's also 30% or something more efficient, and would drive much better (get out of its own way)

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I believe its a 13% increase in the wrangler, so at current prices it would almost even out.
I wouldnt mind putting a programmer on one either :beer:

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
I believe its a 13% increase in the wrangler, so at current prices it would almost even out.
I wouldnt mind putting a programmer on one either :beer:
Now yer thinkin!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
You hear about cars like the Porsche 918 hybrid with a 200hp electric motor at each wheel and it really makes you wonder if something like that could be adapted to a solid axle?

Imagine having a 100hp electric motor on each end of the axles all powered by a small diesel generator. Provided you could figure a way to protect and cool the motors this would make for a kick ass platform. Huge torque and no drivetrain loss. Even if it were a single motor on each axle similar to a Berg or some other MOA R/C buggy it would be awesome.

I actually think about this a lot. If I had the capital I'd be experimenting with this idea now.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
You mean something like this?

At the time the engine had 268 HP and 295 ft-lbs of torque, 400 mile total range, with 40 miles pure electricity.

Good catch, Venom. Thanks for the immortality.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
If they can come up with an electric or hybrid that will get 1000+ miles per charge, on or off road and has more power then the current 3.8 V6, I would consider it, but not untill. I commute over a 100+ miles a day and having to charge everyday just does not fit my schedule.

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
If Jeep came out with a hybrid or electric Wrangler would you buy one? I see all of these "green" cars coming out and they all look the same, Ugly. I mean I doubt Jeep would ever consider coming out with either but it just had me thinking. There is plenty of room to store lithium batteries under the Jeep. Obviously you wouldn't want to take it off road though.

That would be the deal breaker right there. If I can't go offroad in it, why would I buy a Jeep in the first place?:shaking:

·
Registered
805 Posts
Porsche and BMW are starting to apply hybrid technology as a means to get more power as first priority, with the side benefit of not being harmful for the environment as a secondary goal --think of an electric motor instead of turbo.

I think if Jeep gaves us a hybrid that would give us MORE POWER without sacrificing fuel economy a few of us would be interested.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Jeep did put a concept together... now think about this:

4 sealed motors, one at each wheel, with a standard engine to generate power to the motors when necessary.

- No axles or drivetrain so your clearance would be immense.
- 100% torque as soon as you hit the pedal, put it in low and watch it go
- independent control of each motor or wheel (front wheel drive rear wheel drive, 4wd, or 1wd.. or left wheel drive for the times you just wanna go in circles)

Done right its possible, but it would be expensive.. and I dont think I'd wanna have to replace a wheel motor after wheeling.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Porsche and BMW are starting to apply hybrid technology as a means to get more power as first priority, with the side benefit of not being harmful for the environment as a secondary goal --think of an electric motor instead of turbo.

I think if Jeep gaves us a hybrid that would give us MORE POWER without sacrificing fuel economy a few of us would be interested.
Porsche has some pretty cool hybrid technology. I would definitely buy a hybrid wrangler, if you could still take it off road. There is plenty of room on the unlimited to store like 4 or 5 lithium batteries under the jeep without sacrificing too much ground clearance. I'm sure they could figure out a way to put them in a water proof case. Then cover it with some skid plates and you would be good to go. KERS + some sort of hybrid technologies and you could increase your range to 500-600 miles and get some improvement in power. The downside is the maintenance with all of these new technologies. IF we were to see a hybrid or electric wrangler I think it would be at least 10 years or so. I'm a big Formula 1 fan so its pretty cool to see how the technology trickles down into road cars like the dual clutch trans, flappy paddles, hydraulic suspension, kers,etc.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I'd buy one if they could figure out a way to extend battery life. Sure they work fine in normal driving where the eletric motor is on from stop to about 30 mph then the engine comes on and takes over. But for wheeling, it would kill the batteries pretty quick and heat those electric motors up.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I saw a show a couple years back about a two seater jeep that was either hybrid or electric. It played in the dirt but it didn't "PLAY IN THE DIRT" if you catch my meaning. The Hybrid Jeep is ugly and would definitely need some "love" to gowrever... :beer:

·
Registered
169 Posts
think of all the battery power for a winch! :grinpimp:

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
KERS is a brilliant idea IMO. Not sure how it would work on the wrangler though. I know Williams has some kind of fly wheel technology that recovers energy or something like that. The new Porsche GT3 R Hybrid uses the Williams fly wheel. They are just now testing these newer technologies in racing so it will be a long time before it reaches road cars.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
But for wheeling, it would kill the batteries pretty quick and heat those electric motors up.
When I imagine this hybrid wrangler I think of the heat issues that slow speed wheeling would bring. I figured that the electric motors would need to be liquid cooled, or have some means of active cooling. Heat exchange fins wouldn't cut it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
KERS is a brilliant idea IMO. Not sure how it would work on the wrangler though. I know Williams has some kind of fly wheel technology that recovers energy or something like that. The new Porsche GT3 R Hybrid uses the Williams fly wheel. They are just now testing these newer technologies in racing so it will be a long time before it reaches road cars.
KERS has been used in F1 as a "boost" they did away with it in 2009ish because it was so heavy on the cars. the FIA is increasing the min. weight of the F1 cars to let teams using KERS still have a light enough car to be competitive. it takes the energy from the brakes and turns it into electricity. Pretty cool stuff. I would always throw the F1 reference in there when i was selling a hybrid model toyota lmao :grinpimp:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts