JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just recently converted from oil to gas boiler. We have steam radiators. Now when the boiler kicks in we get constant banging, popping, rattling in the pipes. Not just a bang, a violent bang able to be felt through the floor and heard outside the house. The pipes would bang every once in a while before, but not like this. Anything I can do to help this. The HVAC company that did the install is suppose to be back in, but this is driving me, my family, and my dog nuts and if there's something I can do till they get here.
Great, just heard the boiler kick on again. It wouldn't be so bad if it could keep a beat and play a tune.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,961 Posts
I'm not as strong with heating as I am with cooling ( I live in AZ after all ) so I had to do some research.

I knew it had to do with expansion of steam, but this blurb should help.

The banging noises are caused by steam forcing its way through pockets of water. Three problems usually cause these banging noises:
1. People are trying to regulate heat by partially closing or opening the steam valve.
2. Radiator is tilted in the wrong direction.
3. There is a worn-out seat in the steam valve.

To correct these banging problems:
1. For problem one, it is important that radiators always be completely turned off or on. Any partial closing not only causes banging but also results in leakage, damaging your floors and the apartment below.
2. For problem two, a shim is usually placed under the two radiator feet fartherest away from the steam valve, tipping the radiator slightly toward the steam valve (about 5 degrees) to allow the condensed steam to drain back toward the boiler.
3. For problem three, professionl help will be required as the steam valve will have to be replaced.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it a large bang when it starts up followed by smaller bangs or is it all the same?
It's a constant banging, some extremely loud, some have more of a ping sound to them, in different areas of the house, but some more then others. Mostly pipes going to the 2nd floor.

3. For problem three, professionl help will be required as the steam valve will have to be replaced.
Thanks, that gives me a place to start. I'm pretty sure the tilt on the rads are fine, since this really hasn't been a problem in the past. I do know that we closed some of the valves in rooms we didn't use much in the past. I'll have to check them out and go around and make sure they're all fully opened.

From the post, STEAM VALVE, is this on the rad., or is this for the whole system? Because, I'm noticing some of the steam valves on the rads are whistling a lot more then they use to which is also pretty annoying.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.