JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with a 2010 sport jk. if i leave the doors and top off and it rains in NJ, (besides the carpet and seats have marathon waterproof seats) how WET can the Jeep get without messing up the stock radio and other stuff i may need to worry about?

I wonder because the weather man sucks at his job like usual and getting lazy on taking stuff off and on last minute with all the other stuff i have going on.

·
ADDICTION II build begins....
3,833 Posts
I have been caught in several downpours with the top off (it's Oahu) and no issues. Just dont try to U-Boat it and you should be fine....now the carpet on the other hand....once it gets soaked, it will forever smell like wet dog! LOL

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok just making sure.. i need to find time to herculine the tub. I was just curious thanks

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Well last Friday for about 45 miles the rain wasn't falling it was pouring sideways, no top and no doors, spider web shade that offers no help, dash stayed soaked along with the my gig and no issues, I washed it all out with the water hose as well when I got home, pulled it into the garage and sat a fan in the back on a towel over night. No issues.

·
Registered
613 Posts
My aftermarket head unit is died after one rain storm. Screen works but no buttons. And CB is mounted above rear view mirror and it's done too

Sent from my iBrick

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
I have been caught in afternoon thunderbangers several times and clean inside and out with a power washer... as in standing on top of the cage and spraying downwards. I don't soak the dash and don't submerge it.

No issues at all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
About the same here, I run no doors and no top usually and the inside has been in some pretty good Florida thunderstorms without an issue. The radio and all the controls are all working fine (I don't have the NAV screen radio). Only issues were not pulling out the drain plug in the jack storage compartment and trying to get all the damn water outta the cup holders!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Drill a couple drain holes in the bottom of the cup holders. Problem solved! :beer:
As in, drill all the way through? That works?

AdamIsAdam

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I guess depending on which options/console you have it could make a difference. I think if you have power windows there are electrical connections under the cup holders. I haven't personally done it but others on here have.

If you want to get fancy you could drill a hole in the bottom of the cup holder and connect a piece of tubing that feeds down to one of the factory drain plugs. Might be over kill though.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
These pics are from a storm we got on Friday. It was 35 mins long, sideways rain. My hard top was ON and I had an inch of water in the cup holders. I'm gonna do the holes in the bottom of the cup holders. I hope I never get a full rain with top of but if I do, oh well. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341786613.272148.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341786632.337460.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341786675.507530.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
knock on wood, i haven't had any issues. i've driven in many storms over the last 4 years and it's been left outside topless and doorless through many more. only issue i ever had was last week. it had rained fairly heavily overnight and when i was driving to work the next morning (on a beach towel, of course) the radio kept switching back and forth between the inputs. kept switching to AUX then back to AM/FM. annoying because i was listening to a CD at the time lol. it sat in a sunny parking lot for 8 hours while i worked and when i drove home it was fine again

·
Registered
359 Posts
I left mine doorless and topless in a storm last year that dumped about 3" of rain in a hour. It was the most rain the Airport here had ever received all at once. As far as the Jeep went everything factory was perfect. But my aftermarket stereo and amps were done for. After that I upgraded everything to marine grade audio equipment and have never had an issue since.

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
You may be fine, I wouldn't make a habit of it though. There's nothing special or Marine grade about the Jeep's electronics.

Hypothetical question, same answer:
"with a 2010 Charger Convertible. if i leave the top down and it rains in NJ, how WET can the car get without messing up the stock radio and other stuff i may need to worry about?"

Extreme example WK.... Skip right to 12:30

2006 Grand Cherokee Quadra-Drive II HEMI SWAMPED testing snorkles after it floats - YouTube

·
Registered
108 Posts
How did you end up fixing this? Mine is having similar issues.

I've had my Jeep in the rain many times. So far the only problem I've had is the horn shorting out (that's a fun 4 am project- trying to find the right fuse to pull before the blaring horn wakes the neighbors).

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
How did you end up fixing this? Mine is having similar issues.
It ended up being the clockspring. That's a bundle of wires in the steering wheel and a steering wheel angle sensor. PITA to replace and should almost be considered a Jeep consumable. On my '13 I had it replaced twice in four years.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts