JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well seeing as I have no need for the "other" JK forum it is time to move some tech :devil:

and delete it from there :laughing:

Oh and you can also use the same tool to cut new tread patterns but that will be a different thread :D

This is your typical "Ideal" 250-300 watt tire groover that can be picked up from a bunch of places but the cheapest is usually places that sell "stock car" or "circle track" stuff. I get mine from speedway motors.

Get the size head and blades you think you need, they come in a wide assortment of widths. This is a 1/2" head and blade.
to "sipe" you go and install the blade UPSIDEDOWN with the 2 blades down.
Figure the depth you want and set it at that.
New tires you can set at full depth.

use a sharpie and figure the sipe pattern you want.
WARNING !!! try NOT to sipe the outer blocks on mud terrains, they have a tendency to "chunk" if you do. If you do sipe them leave a good 1/2" to 1" on the outside of the block SOLID.

Pick a nice warm day, the warmer the tires the better. Plug the groover in and let it heat up for a good 10min before starting.
Yes it takes some effort and yes you will screw up a few blades before you get good at it :D You will find the pressure and movement that works best.

and TAAADAAAAA :D

Siped tires. (you can't really see the "actual" sipeing just where the heated head made it glossy)
Better wet and ice traction, they will run cooler and wear better on road usually as well.

and no, it is not illegal

·
Registered
900 Posts
Where'd the pics go?
Yeah.......I can't see them either. I want to do this to my new BFG MTs. The skating rink quality of the roads around here lately makes my new tires seem like less of an improvement than I had hoped (they sure look good though :D).

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I'm also looking to do a mild siping and cannot see the pic's. Looking forward to see the results before I commit.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Heres a link to to a groover. This is the place where I ordered mine from a couple years ago. May be cheaper somewhere else, I don't know. Pics of the tires really aren't needed, just cut the grooves across the tread blocks (except for the outer ones).
http://www.pmzracingproducts.com/tire_groover_1.html

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Wow they look great. I have the Procomp xterrains and they have large lugs that are about 3-3/4" long so as you can see the traction factor is affected in thick mud or snow. I usually throw it into 4wd whenever it is slippery. I was told siping the lugs are the solution. now that I have seen it I'm going for it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts