JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine is building a van for cross country travel. He wants to plug things in at night without draining his battery too much. He doesn't have room for a generator and was wondering if he could plug his vehicle in like an RV or something. I did some searching for inverters but all are 12v to 110. Is there anything that goes the other way? Well, I know there is just not sure what it is.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
A smart battery charger. Like a battery tender or something like that.
Yep. Depending on what he is running off of it, something like a 3-5a charger would probably do it. Just mount the charger and use ring terminals to the battery (with a fuse) and lose the battery clamps.

·
Registered
224 Posts
A buddy of mine is building a van for cross country travel. He wants to plug things in at night without draining his battery too much. He doesn't have room for a generator and was wondering if he could plug his vehicle in like an RV or something. I did some searching for inverters but all are 12v to 110. Is there anything that goes the other way? Well, I know there is just not sure what it is.
Dual PRO makes a marine charger that would do what you want. It only charges when needed. It is not a trickle charger.

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
110v to 12V you want to search for converters (the opposite of inverter).

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
As I'm understanding it,
He wants to plug his vehicle into a shore power source at campgrounds so that he can power AC accessories and appliances in his van, correct?
If there is an outlet to plug the vehicle into, why can't he just run an extention cord to that outlet, and install a power strip inside the van?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
As I'm understanding it,
He wants to plug his vehicle into a shore power source at campgrounds so that he can power AC accessories and appliances in his van, correct?
If there is an outlet to plug the vehicle into, why can't he just run an extention cord to that outlet, and install a power strip inside the van?
He indicated he wants something that will go from 110v to 12v.

Your power strip idea is a good one, though. From that, he can run AC accessories, including a battery charger, and still plug 12v items into the Jeep outlets.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As I'm understanding it,
Well that sounds too easy. I think that is his easiest option for sure. I will let him know about the converter and the power strip. Thanks all!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts