JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This writeup is dedicated to MichaelW so he won't go crazy....

Those of you that have been following this thread have been wondering how to disable the warning chime. This is a down and dirty way and it works. Sort of. By sort of I was able to lower the volume quite a bit and change the tone and soundwave of the chime. If I get into it again, I'll do what I can to make it softer.

Disclaimer: Do this at your own risk. It involves removing the instrument cluster. While this is relatively easy, there is always room for Mr. Murphy.

Sorry for the crappy pics, I'm the only one on the planet without a digital camera. These are caps from miniDV.

Cost: FREE :bounce:

Tools needed:
Flat blade screwdriver for prying
7mm socket
Ratchet for socket
6" extension for socket

Start by removing the bottom knee bolster on the drivers side. Pull at it and it will pop free.

Remove the upper portion of the lower dash beneath the steering column(the "U" shaped piece) by either getting your fingers between the steering column at the top side, or by using a screwdriver to pop it out on the outside. Start at the top and work down. The retaining clips are the same as on the centerstack. The bottom is hinged similar to the glovebox.

Once this piece is removed, you will see 2 7mm bolts on either side of the steering column toward the bottom of the dash. These retain the instument surround piece. Remove them.

BTW, tilting the steering wheel up and down helps in accessing the fasteners and removing the pieces throughout this process.

Grasp the surround at the top and give it a tug straight back toward you. It will pop free. Same clips as on the centerstack, located at the top.

Now you will see the four 7mm bolts holding the instument cluster in place. Remove them.

Carefully tilt the cluster toward you and you will see three wire harnesses connected in the back on the top. Push the little retaining tab and pull the connectors free from the cluster. The interior lamp will go off, so don't freak out when it does.

You may now take the cluster inside to work on it. There are nine tabs holding the back on. How these work will be evident when you see them ,they are simple snap tabs.

Here are the tab locations.

Remove the back. Now is the time to be extra careful, as the back indexes the circuitboard to the rest of the assembly. It will float free, but will not come out because of the needles on the guages. Please be careful.

Here is what you will see.

Here is the offending item, the round black thingy with a hole in it, marked TMX-12S located in the upper right hand portion of the cluster.

I put a piece of electricians tape over the hole. You may try stuffing it with cotton. I still get sound out of it, but it sounds like it's breathing hard, thus the total change in the actual soundwave. This leads me to believe that there may be sound holes at the base, I didn't look that closely at it. Some hot glue around the entire base where it contacts the circuit board of may yield better/different results. At this point you could go plug it back in and see how it sounds and adjust your blocking technique accordingly. Just be careful moving it around.

Here's what mine looks like now.

After you have silenced the beast, pop the cover back on carefully, and re-assemble the cluster in the dash in reverse order.

Hope this helps everyone, mine now sounds like a warning device out of an airplane, I actually don't mind it now:D

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
You da man John!

I will have to make some time to do this!:bounce:

I own you a beer or two!

:beer::beer:

A

·
0 Posts
After solving my TPMS issues and hardwiring the seatbelt detection wire, the only chimes I get are when the doors are open or something bad is happening (where I really want the chime).

Does anyone know what wires to tap into to turn off the chime for the driver’s door?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you, my friend are braver than I.

i figure some hot glue shot right down it's throat will cut it off, too. ;) permanently.
I was thinking more like an icepick but I resisted the urge and just taped it for now.

You da man John!

I will have to make some time to do this!:bounce:

I own you a beer or two!

:beer::beer:
Thanks Michael, I got to this sorta by accident, I'm about to install a Rubi rear axle assy and wanted to see how the little locker indicators on the cluster worked and to see if I could mod them to work with my intended setup. That didn't work out, then I saw it, lurking in the corner....the beast....and had to show it who was boss. Lemme know what method you use and how effective it is. I'll see if I can post up a sound byte of what mine sounds like now.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
After solving my TPMS issues and hardwiring the seatbelt detection wire, the only chimes I get are when the doors are open or something bad is happening (where I really want the chime).
Does anyone know what wires to tap into to turn off the chime for the driver’s door?
My deal exactly!
One of the wires in the door bundle should be able to have a switch spliced in to shut off the chime that annoys you when the door is open and the key is in the ignition
for now I reach up and unplug the door bundle like I was taking the door off when I need to shut it up.
Like when parked and outside the jeep with the radio on etc.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a quick vid with sound.

·
Registered
irate4x4 dot com
1,795 Posts
there is a seatbelt chime defeat procedure

The Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert) can be enabled or disabled by your authorized dealer or by following these steps:​

NOTE:​
The following steps must occur within the first 60 seconds of the ignition switch being turned to the ON or START position. The manufacturer does not recommend deactivating the Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert).

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, and buckle the driver’s seat belt.
2. Turn the ignition key to the ACCESSORY/RUN position (engine does not need to be running), and wait for the Seat Belt Warning Light to turn off.
3. Within 60 seconds of starting the vehicle, unbuckle and then re-buckle the driver’s seat belt at least three times within 10 seconds, ending with the seat belt buckled.

4. Turn the ignition key to the OFF position. A single chime will sound to signify that you have successfully completed the programming.
The Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert) can be reactivated by repeating this procedure.​

Although the Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert) has been deactivated, the Seat Belt Warning Light will continue to illuminate while the driver’s seat belt remains unfastened.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
My deal exactly!
One of the wires in the door bundle should be able to have a switch spliced in to shut off the chime that annoys you when the door is open and the key is in the ignition
for now I reach up and unplug the door bundle like I was taking the door off when I need to shut it up.
Just disconnect the doors and zip tie the wires up. It wont chime if they are unplugged.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
- on 02-25-2008 02:18 PM
Just disconnect the doors and zip tie the wires up. It wont chime if they are unplugged.
PLEASE QUIT DREDGING UP THREADS THAT ARE YEARS OLD!
or at least read the whole post before you tell someone to do what they already said they were doing in the post!

no more :beer: for you

·
ADDICTION II build begins....
3,833 Posts
I just added chimes to mine! :thefinger: :laughing: My PA system is tied into my reverse line so whenever I put the Jeep in reverse it makes the "BEEP BEEP BEEP" sound like a garbage truck does when backing up! HAHA It gets EVERYONE'S attention and those who stand behind the Jeep quickly get out of the way! HAHA

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
PLEASE QUIT DREDGING UP THREADS THAT ARE YEARS OLD!
or at least read the whole post before you tell someone to do what they already said they were doing in the post!

no more :beer: for you
Chill out man, they are threads that are in the write up library so they are readily available, its not like Im going to page 500 and looking for something to say. And I added to it by telling them that I zip tied mine up. It stays that way, dont really see a reason to have them plugged in anyway unless you have auto locks and windows... Is it really that hard for you to scroll over a thread that has been recently commented on?

I just added chimes to mine! :thefinger: :laughing: My PA system is tied into my reverse line so whenever I put the Jeep in reverse it makes the "BEEP BEEP BEEP" sound like a garbage truck does when backing up! HAHA It gets EVERYONE'S attention and those who stand behind the Jeep quickly get out of the way! HAHA
Thats awesome! I would love to do that but I hate messing with electronics.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Chill out man, they are threads that are in the write up library so they are readily available, its not like Im going to page 500 and looking for something to say. And I added to it by telling them that I zip tied mine up. It stays that way, dont really see a reason to have them plugged in anyway unless you have auto locks and windows... Is it really that hard for you to scroll over a thread that has been recently commented on?
no, I just don't see why you feel the need to chime in on a 3 year old thread to repeat what I already said.

and just leaving your doors disconnected is kinda silly anyway - your radio will keep playing after you shut the jeep off, the dome light won't work, etc. - but hey, glad it works for you.
I'm just trying to figure out why you're dredging up old threads just to say "me too!"

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
there is a seatbelt chime defeat procedure

The Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert) can be enabled or disabled by your authorized dealer or by following these steps:​

The following steps must occur within the first 60 seconds of the ignition switch being turned to the ON or START position. The manufacturer does not recommend deactivating the Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert).

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, and buckle the driver’s seat belt.
2. Turn the ignition key to the ACCESSORY/RUN position (engine does not need to be running), and wait for the Seat Belt Warning Light to turn off.
3. Within 60 seconds of starting the vehicle, unbuckle and then re-buckle the driver’s seat belt at least three times within 10 seconds, ending with the seat belt buckled.

4. Turn the ignition key to the OFF position. A single chime will sound to signify that you have successfully completed the programming.
The Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert) can be reactivated by repeating this procedure.​

Although the Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert) has been deactivated, the Seat Belt Warning Light will continue to illuminate while the driver’s seat belt remains unfastened.

Is there something I'm missing? Why wouldn't you just do this^^^? It took me a whole 5 min. to shut mine off. Sure beats pullin the dash!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
no, I just don't see why you feel the need to chime in on a 3 year old thread to repeat what I already said.

and just leaving your doors disconnected is kinda silly anyway - your radio will keep playing after you shut the jeep off, the dome light won't work, etc. - but hey, glad it works for you.
I'm just trying to figure out why you're dredging up old threads just to say "me too!"
Honestly, I dont look at the dates of every thread I open. Maybe I should start so people dont get so offended. I work 12 hour shifts at night so no threads are really active while Im here nor does much happen here at night. So I go through the write up section to see if there is anything cool I could do to my Jeep in the next couple off days I have and instinctively if I have something to add I do. I dont think about it possibly being an old thread, and honestly, I dont see why its such a big deal, it bumps it to the top to where maybe a noob will see it and it might just help them out and/or keep them from posting a new thread about the subject. About leaving the doors un plugged, your radio only stays on for maybe 30-60 seconds so I dont see that being a problem and why do I need the dome light to come on everytime I open the door? If I want it on then I twist the stalk, its really not that hard. I have been doing it for about a year now and have not even noticed it as an inconvenience.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Is there something I'm missing? Why wouldn't you just do this^^^? It took me a whole 5 min. to shut mine off. Sure beats pullin the dash!
because that doesnt take care of the key in ignition sound

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
because that doesnt take care of the key in ignition sound
Ooooohhhh gotcha, I was thinking just about the seatbelt chime... I'm with you though, a switch for the door chime would be very cool!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts