JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nearly every one of us is a bit of a car geek, to one extent or another. I know that I am not the only person that wants to modify his vehicle.
So the question is, how quickly did you modify your Jeep? I am not talking a dealer add on, but things that you arranged and did yourself? Let's put a limit so that the Autozone stickers don't qualify as a mod. So, how quickly did you make something that was over $500?
I will go first. My first Jeep was nicknamed Waldo, and I bought Waldo on Friday night, Saturday I ordered a lift, and wheels and tires, and they were installed on Monday.
My current Jeep was bought off the lot on a friday, I had wheels and tires on it by Wednesday, and a lift installed the next week.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I order on 11/29/15, picked up 1/11/16. On 1/12/16 put on Rubicon wheels take offs, put on Ace rock sliders, put in Rugged Ridge grill insert, and install cb.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Bought my Sahara May 2013 it took me a whole year and 3 months for my first "mod"... my front bumper AND I installed it myself.

I then added rock sliders. Then wanted so much more, but all that I wanted, was beyond what I could do on my own, so I traded the Sahara for a Rubicon.

AND I am not a "car geek" furthest thing from it. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just picked up my Gecko last night, but ordered tire carrier, (Teraflex), wheels and tires a week ago :) parts won't arrive until mid April though, wheels and tires are on backorder.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I pulled mine off the lot I swore I was gonna keep it stock. A week and a half later she had a 3" lift and 35's. A year later ... Smittybuilt bumpers and winch... Ordered flat fenders from Metalcloak last week... Effin moneypits!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My insurance agent knows me, and whenever I get a new personal car, she just asks what our stated value is going to be on this one.

·
Registered
90 Posts
When I pulled mine off the lot, I had already planned it wasn't gonna be kept stock for long. A week and a half later she had a 3.5" lift and 35's.

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Lift, 37's and flat fenders a week after purchase. Like most guys I planned on what I wanted to do to the Jeep before buying it.

Now it has all the normal stuff. Bumpers, winch, sliders, cb radio etc.

It'll never be finished

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
After first time off road

On our first offroading trip a few days after purchasing the jeep, we high centered and had to get a tug. The next day I ordered the lift kit.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I bought the toy to modify it. I had the lift, tires/rims, bumpers, winch, and other miscellaneous items bought before I ever saw the jeep. I drove it down the road one time stock and then pulled it into the garage. Had the front end out to weld in gussets and sleeves then re-geared. The rest I did slowly over the next few years....

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
Bought August 08, 1st major mod was rear bumper and tire carrier in Feb 09. Then lift kit in April 09. Lot of mods since then.

·
Registered
189 Posts
A better question

When does it stop...

Got my Jeep late summer 2009 and started in on it in less than a week. I've spent about as much time in it as under it. I was working on it just last night....

-Randy

·
Registered
371 Posts
started same week...never ending though..

·
Registered
153 Posts
Had my a month or so and new Metalcloak bumper and fenders, ACE rear bumper and sliders, ATX slabs with 37" Coopers.. I have bolt on Evo coilovers front and rear sitting in the garage ready to be put on, waiting on my Rokmen aluminum control arms to come in.

Looking at Fusion4x4 tierod and drag link next.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ordered tail light guards the same day I bought mine, and installed them when they arrived, then I ordered a winch bumper, and tray, and installed it, and the winch off my old 4X4, within a week or so of getting my jeep. Then trailer hitch, backup camera, entry guards, etc.....

Bottom line, mods are addictive :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ordered it in mid August... had a garage full of parts for it about 2 weeks before it arrived. I believe the odometer had 52 miles on it before it was on jack stands.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Put a winch plate and the winch off my old Jeep 1st weekend. Put a 1 1/2" TF Leveling kit on it the 2nd weekend. Drove it for a year like that before I went bigger.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I was on the forums and on the phone with Northridge before even calling the dealer to find my first jeep. I think the intake and exhaust were on within a week.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts