JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
7 Years and 72k miles later, I have been daily driving my 2013 JKU. I enjoy working on it, I changed the oils, suspension - I raised it 2.5 inches, then lowered it back to Rubicon springs and new Bilsteins.
I am now very frustrated at the stuff that is going bad, 7 years in.

• Exhaust bolts rusted and busted, needs new header-to-y pipe bolts. They have rusted away!
  • HVAC Mixing door actuator broken - Click Click Click!
  • The damn Tie rod adjuster is rusted tight - I cannot adjust my tie rod or give the front end and alignment.
  • AND Death wobble/shimmy/shaking/vibrating is haunting me on my daily commute- even after the stock suspension was reinstalled, tightened torqued, and aligned as best I could.
I’ve never had a vehicle breakdown and show itself to be rusted and busted and of such poor quality. I am dissapointed - But shoudl I expect more? Shoudl I expect the suspension parts not to rust frozen solid. Shoudl I expectthe HAVC to function 7 years in? SHoudl I expect teh whole damn front suspension NOT deteirorate to apoint where I cures everytime I drive this thing? DO I have to relegate the Jeep to weekedns and low speed driving, and buy a Corolla to DD?

Honest- this is the longest I have every owned a car, the Last one was a VW GTI 2002. I had that 5 years, and it did break down with some frustrationg problem now and again. I admit. But this is still maddening.

I fixed the rusted exhaust bolts with ss wire - I don’t want to take a torch and try to remove the rusted bolts.
The HVAC door I ordered from Q, I will fix that next week.
The Alignment and the shimmy/wobble/vibration - well, I’M angry at that and don’t know how far to go to fix it, or sell the damn thing.

I write this AFTER I fought with my “adjustable” tie rod - which is no longer adjustable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It IS the longest Uve admittedly owned a car. This doesn’t seem to be the end of the world fixes.

Time to either trade it in or just have someone else work on the car? Either way will get u another trouble free 72k miles. No?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 72k was not trouble free. I just hate that things are rusting away, like the exhaust bolts. Yes, nothing lasts forever, yes, I paid this car off 3 years ago.

I hate the damn death wobble issues on a stock vehicle. The car just wears out, the holes just oval out, the thing just falls apart, or rusts solid so you cannot adjust it. Build better tolerances - Make things greasable and replaceable - WHy can’t they solve this damn wobble vibration problem?? Why?

Frustrated at all the little things...

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Replace suspension with Synergy or Metalcloak, assemble ALL threaded fasteners/joints with marine-grade anti-seize, brace the shit out of your steering, upgrade ball joints and unit bearings, and enjoy.

I just adjusted my Synergy drag link tonight. It was hitting my steering stabilizer because the last time I adjusted it, the bar was sagging a little. After several months since the adjustment, it rotated freely after loosening the pinch bolt. So awesome and easy.

You really should break loose all of your suspension fasteners maybe once a year or more often, and make sure they don't seize, replace anti-seize. The price of driving an awesome Jeep I guess. I lost two good track bars, a drag link, and two tie rod ends - all of them seized solid - in part because I only used silver anti-seize on them, and then left them alone for about four years.

Jeeps are the most expensive shitboxes around, no two ways about it. Once you embrace the care and feeding of the shitbox, life is more pleasant

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeeps are the most expensive shitboxes around, no two ways about it. Once you embrace the care and feeding of the shitbox, life is more pleasant
I knew this thing would be an education and an adventure. Rebuilding and reinforcing the front suspension is necessary even if I never go off road.
This is almost like I imagine building my FFR cobra would be.

·
Registered
2020 JTR
68 Posts
Sounds like its time to rebuild your front steering. Most all wobble/shimmy/vibrations are a result of lose or worn suspension and steering components. 72 K miles isn't a bad life span for steering components.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The quality of the factory suspension components is definitely questionable, age and larger tires only compound the problem. I agree you should replace with quality components and anti seize is a must. I live in Chicago where I think they use 2" of salt for every inch of snow so rust is always an issue. I spray down the underside of mine with Fluid film every year and after 12 years and 100,000 miles I have no rust anywhere. I spray down all suspension components and they can be removed with ease.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Replace suspension with Synergy or Metalcloak, assemble ALL threaded fasteners/joints with marine-grade anti-seize, brace the shit out of your steering, upgrade ball joints and unit bearings, and enjoy.

I just adjusted my Synergy drag link tonight. It was hitting my steering stabilizer because the last time I adjusted it, the bar was sagging a little. After several months since the adjustment, it rotated freely after loosening the pinch bolt. So awesome and easy.

You really should break loose all of your suspension fasteners maybe once a year or more often, and make sure they don't seize, replace anti-seize. The price of driving an awesome Jeep I guess. I lost two good track bars, a drag link, and two tie rod ends - all of them seized solid - in part because I only used silver anti-seize on them, and then left them alone for about four years.

18 JKR. Metalcloak 2.5 GC. Steering feels a bit floaty - how do I brace the shit out of it?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Planman knows.
It's probably the ovaling from your track bar bolt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts