JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 jkur on 35's auto etc. how much extra gas needs to be carried. I did not carry any extra fuel on the rubicon trail and had plenty in reserve when I filled up in taho. What say the experts?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
fugg am I going to have to go to gayolife to find some folks who have done the dusy? I am begging ya man I don't wanna go over there.....

·
Research, bro!
2,219 Posts
PM Vick (VKS). He's done it a bunch. I didn't think Dusy was open yet. A few of us are going to do it in September because of the elevation and snow.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Yeah, I run it every year. I usually carry an extra 5 gallons. Its just enough to get me home, I do only live about 40 minutes from the trail-head though. I'd say its the minimum I'd recommend carrying to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks and another question how close to the trailhead is fuel available? We are hitting the trail August 22. Hoping it will not be crowded during the week days.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Thanks and another question how close to the trailhead is fuel available? We are hitting the trail August 22. Hoping it will not be crowded during the week days.
You can top off on the way up in Shaver Lake, that's about 10-15 miles from the trail head if you start at Courtright Lake and run it towards White Bark Vista (Kaiser Pass). There is also fuel in Huntington Lake, that's on the Kaiser Pass side of the trail. Its a small little station that I believe is still open, its seasonal however. But the main fuel station we use is the one in Shaver lake, it's a big shell station and their pumps are 24hr. The distance from Huntington to Shaver is only a 20 minute drive.

Your date sounds good. Just be sure to check with the Forest Service ((559) 855-5355) before you go to make sure the trail is open and check Sierra National Forest - Home here before you go. Dusy is usually not crowded at all, so you'll be good there.

It's a tough grueling trail that gets extremely remote, be sure to bring spare parts and tools. I've know guys that have broke around the half way point and its a full days hike back to civilization.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can top off on the way up in Shaver Lake, that's about 10-15 miles from the trail head if you start at Courtright Lake and run it towards White Bark Vista (Kaiser Pass). There is also fuel in Huntington Lake, that's on the Kaiser Pass side of the trail. Its a small little station that I believe is still open, its seasonal however. But the main fuel station we use is the one in Shaver lake, it's a big shell station and their pumps are 24hr. The distance from Huntington to Shaver is only a 20 minute drive.

Your date sounds good. Just be sure to check with the Forest Service ((559) 855-5355) before you go to make sure the trail is open and check Sierra National Forest - Home here before you go. Dusy is usually not crowded at all, so you'll be good there.

It's a tough grueling trail that gets extremely remote, be sure to bring spare parts and tools. I've know guys that have broke around the half way point and its a full days hike back to civilization.
many thanks

·
Registered
306 Posts
i topped off in Shaver Lake and ran the trail over 3 days from Courtright to Kaiser Pass and was very low when I got back to the Shell station in Shaver Lake. Id definetly take 5gal extra. Im a 3.6l, auto, 5:13s.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll be in there about the same time, but we are going from the Kaiser side into Ershim Lake on the 25th and coming out Sunday. We'll be in an 85 4Runner and a JKU if you cruise by us.
I went in on the Courtright side last weekend and my Rubicon acted up so I got rejected. The crazy thing I realized going up is that from the bottom of the 4lanes to the turn off to Swamp Lake after Dinkey, it is shorter than the Dusy/Ershim trail.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool we are going north to south.starting in Monday morning plan on two nights camping on the trail.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just got back!

Epic trail, The scenery is spectacular. I filled up in Shaver and began the trail at the Dinky side, and ran it in three days. During the trail a few times I was nervous about fuel because of the extreme angles making the gauge read empty but when I finished I still had about 1/4 tank(Running 37's and 4.10's.) Plenty of fuel left over to get back to Shaver. I waited till Prather to fill up and still could have went a little longer. My Avatar pic is from Sat 8/20 coming through "Divorce Corners" on our way out. Killer trail!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gas ended up being a non issue I filled up at the little store/marina by the Kaiser pass turn off and had plenty of gas left. It should be called the dusty ershim. It was a great trail but I'm spoiled by Montana trail scenery as I really did not think scenery was great certainly not as nice as the rubicon. Only saw a few rigs, one group of toyotas at ershim lake and then a group of jeeps at Thompson lake. No camp fires allowed so that was a bummer. We heard some thunder but we were dry the Toyota guys said they were hit with hail.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts