JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be mounting a CB above the rear-view mirror and placing the CB mount most likely on the spare tire carrier. Will 18' of coax cable be sufficient or should I spring for more?

·
Vendor
2,961 Posts
I will be mounting a CB above the rear-view mirror and placing the CB mount most likely on the spare tire carrier. Will 18' of coax cable be sufficient or should I spring for more?
18' is enough for that location. You always want to run as little as possible to avoid the possibility of coiling it, etc. causing interference.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
18' is enough for that location. You always want to run as little as possible to avoid the possibility of coiling it, etc. causing interference.
Isn't it true that it is sold in 18' lengths because it has some reference to the actual wave length the CB picks up? And that cutting it shorter can affect performance? I don't coil my excess, but I randomly snake it under the carpet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you end up needing more make sure that it's in 3 foot increments.

3 6 9 12 18 21 24 feet. etc.

if you have an SWR meter in line, the jumper should be 3' as well.

Make sure you sand the paint off where the antenna makes contact to bumper or body. Ground the radio to the body and do the same thing. Some times a ground strap is needed to connect the bumper to the frame to get a perfect antenna 1 to 1 match.

A couple of things I picked up working at a CB shop in the 80's and 90's

1 - 5 of 5 Posts