JKOwners Forum banner

Buying a 2012 JK?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tired of the lack of power in my 2010 JKU and the poor gas mileage.

Bought it in Aug 2010 and am SERIOUSLY considering trading it in for the 2012 JKU with the Pentastar 283 or 290 hp (whatever it rates out at) and the 5 spd auto tranny.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Either they sell me a factory V-8 or I will maintain my 08 in perpetuity..........

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
We are seriously going to go look at them when they come out. I already talked to jd about shipping one to PA.

·
Registered
799 Posts
:grinpimp: Sorry to hear about your lack of power--

Tired of the lack of power in my 2010 JKU and the poor gas mileage.

Bought it in Aug 2010 and am SERIOUSLY considering trading it in for the 2012 JKU with the Pentastar 283 or 290 hp (whatever it rates out at) and the 5 spd auto tranny.
There's nothing wrong with the 3.8L v6--it just was given the wrong gears

My JKUR has plenty power/great responce/good mileage and makes towing a pleasure--

:smokin: JIMBO

·
Registered
799 Posts
:grinpimp: Heh Heh, me too, I have a v6 in my JKUR and I'm, happy with it's performance-so I'm not speculating on a NEW JKU !!

I love all the speculation when nobody here has driven one
It'll all come out in the wash !

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Just sold the 2008 the other day and I am ordering a 2012. I voted yes since I am not speculating... :beer::beer:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Anyone who is truly happy with the 3.8 and says it has plenty of power has very low expectations. True, it's adequate (barely) offroad and around town but mine is my daily driver and I expect a vehicle to be able to hold top gear at the posted speed limit on level ground most of the time. I just returned from a 2500 mile road trip and I have since put mine up for sale. I'm going back to seperate daily driver and Jeep because 11 mpg average and being unable to hold the speed limit with as little as 10 mph headwind is unacceptable to me.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Anyone who is truly happy with the 3.8 and says it has plenty of power has very low expectations. True, it's adequate (barely) offroad and around town but mine is my daily driver and I expect a vehicle to be able to hold top gear at the posted speed limit on level ground most of the time. I just returned from a 2500 mile road trip and I have since put mine up for sale. I'm going back to seperate daily driver and Jeep because 11 mpg average and being unable to hold the speed limit with as little as 10 mph headwind is unacceptable to me.
I can accelerate in in top gear on the highway so you have something going on. Running 35's or 37's with the stock gears?

Have none of you people daily driven a YJ or a TJ they are absolutely no more powerful. I would say tire size equal and both with stock gearing the 3.8 is a much better motor on the highway.

·
Registered
799 Posts
:grinpimp: Sorry you feel that way, you're just expecting the JK to conform to EXACTLY how you wantit, without any changes--

You're just selling a great vehicle short, because of what Chrysler delivered and you're not willing to changeit

Mine averages 18.2mpg at 60mph, 17.2mpg at 70 mph-

Being a Rubicon, off road was already tops, now-it'll go anywhere and tow my trailer right along withit-Oh avg 16.2 mpg towing my trailer at 60mph !!

Yea I've already done this for months--

·
Registered
533 Posts
Chrysler is going to have to pry my 2008 lifetime powertrain warranty out of my cold dead hands! I didnt buy a Ferrari, and If I want to be able to drive like Mario Andretti, I'll just take my A3 Quattro.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
I put too much work into my POS to trade it in for a pretty dash and another POS Chrysler engine.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:grinpimp: Sorry you feel that way, you're just expecting the JK to conform to EXACTLY how you wantit, without any changes--

You're just selling a great vehicle short, because of what Chrysler delivered and you're not willing to changeit

Mine averages 18.2mpg at 60mph, 17.2mpg at 70 mph-

Being a Rubicon, off road was already tops, now-it'll go anywhere and tow my trailer right along withit-Oh avg 16.2 mpg towing my trailer at 60mph !!

Yea I've already done this for months--

It is a great vehicle... if you don't consider how ridiculously underpowered it is. Over the years it has ballooned in weight but the hp has remained virtually the same. With 2 adults and a full tank of gas, the JKU weighs over 4600 lbs.
That is a lot of weight for just a 205 hp engine. Thats 22.4 lbs per 1 hp.

I drive 20 miles to work, and 20 miles back, every day on the highway and there are a few hills... not Mt Everest hills but long hills and on a couple of them my auto tranny has downshifted into second gear by the time I'm at the top and other trucks and compact cars are passing me like I'm standing still. I definitely make sure I'm in the slow lane when going up those hills.

As for gas milage... I average 14 liters per 100 kms (16.8 miles per us gallon) and thats mostly hwy driving. Frankly, in this day and age and with the price of gas, that SUCKS!

I would love to have a V8 under the hood but I can't afford a modification that is that expensive. I would also love to have a supercharger too... but again ... its that cost thing again. So I'm going with the next best thing... the new 2012 with the 290 hp pentastar. Thats a 41% increase in horsepower... or 15.8 lbs per 1 hp. I'll be happy with that.

·
Registered
799 Posts
:grinpimp: Ya gotta do what ya gotta do--

It is a great vehicle... if you don't consider how ridiculously underpowered it is. Over the years it has ballooned in weight but the hp has remained virtually the same. With 2 adults and a full tank of gas, the JKU weighs over 4600 lbs.
That is a lot of weight for just a 205 hp engine. Thats 22.4 lbs per 1 hp.

I drive 20 miles to work, and 20 miles back, every day on the highway and there are a few hills... not Mt Everest hills but long hills and on a couple of them my auto tranny has downshifted into second gear by the time I'm at the top and other trucks and compact cars are passing me like I'm standing still. I definitely make sure I'm in the slow lane when going up those hills.

As for gas milage... I average 14 liters per 100 kms (16.8 miles per us gallon) and thats mostly hwy driving. Frankly, in this day and age and with the price of gas, that SUCKS!

I would love to have a V8 under the hood but I can't afford a modification that is that expensive. I would also love to have a supercharger too... but again ... its that cost thing again. So I'm going with the next best thing... the new 2012 with the 290 hp pentastar. Thats a 41% increase in horsepower... or 15.8 lbs per 1 hp. I'll be happy with that.
My modifications to get my (paid for) JKUR, cost was very close to $2000 bucks and There's nothing more I NEED, course I'll still add mods to her anyway, but I won't need a new jeep forit-

Good luck, I hope the new "jesus" engine does everything you want!!

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^

Speculation, not by me...... I have a V-8 in my 08. I have zero need for a V-6
And for what that v8 cost you I have a Tj that'll outwheel most full bodied rigs around here.

:grinpimp: Heh Heh, me too, I have a v6 in my JKUR and I'm, happy with it's performance-so I'm not speculating on a NEW JKU !!

It'll all come out in the wash !

Is the R really necessary?

1 - 20 of 130 Posts